Mailing List Archive

wackamole ip wizardy and running apache_backhand...
Greetings,

I wanted to reach both lists to gather information from each end of the
spectrum. My question deals with having wackamole changing the the virtual
ip on a machine and then having an apache server running with mod_backhand
using this _new_ vip on the fly.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how you would allow Apache
to start handling requests by _listening_ to this new IP address on an
interface?

My simple thought in going about doing this would be to create a perl daemon
that checks for a new interface ip alias, every second, then when it sees a
new aliased ip it would launch a new Apache server process with a particular
set of directives in the config file that makes it listen to that ip address
and serve requests. Basically, the same apache server configuration as
would've been running on the _failed_ machine that wackamole determined to
not be active.

I wanted to see if anyone else had any homegrown solution they've built or
could recommend another path of accomplishing what I'm explaining in the
fundamentals.

Cheers,

-.mag