Mailing List Archive

Multicast stats problem
Hi all...

I recently tried to add a new slave server to my existing, well-running
two-tier solution but encountered some problems when trying to configure it
to multicast it's stats.

Here's the multicast config which I first attempted (the same config that
runs on all of the succesfully running servers):
MulticastStats X.X.X.255:4445
AcceptStats X.X.X.0/24

When running this config on the new server (X.X.X.26), I receive stats from
ALL of the existing servers (X.X.X.17-25), but the existing servers don't
receive stats from the new server (not traceable via tcpdump, either).

I also tried more directly specifying the host using the 2 input multicast
call:
MulticastStats X.X.X.26 X.X.X.255:4445
AcceptStats X.X.X.0/24
Again... no result.

I more recently changed to target the master server specifically, which DOES
work correctly:
MulticastStats X.X.X.17:4445
AcceptStats X.X.X.0/24
However, I would ideally eventually like to do a full broadcast so that I
can see the stats for the new server from any of the other servers. Any
ideas why they other servers would be blind to the new server w/ the default
"X.X.X.255:4445" input?

On a separate topic, I was wondering if there might be any candidacy
function that would randomly remove X number of servers from the candidacy
list. byLogWindow removes such a large number of candidates from my list
that it's not quite useful (when there are only less than 8 slaves); I'd
much prefer to lop off 3 servers randomly so that I don't bombard any
particular server. Thanks!
Multicast stats problem [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, May 26, 2002, at 03:09 PM, Stephen Wang wrote:
> I recently tried to add a new slave server to my existing, well-running
> two-tier solution but encountered some problems when trying to
> configure it
> to multicast it's stats.
>
> Here's the multicast config which I first attempted (the same config
> that
> runs on all of the succesfully running servers):
> MulticastStats X.X.X.255:4445
> AcceptStats X.X.X.0/24
>
> When running this config on the new server (X.X.X.26), I receive stats
> from
> ALL of the existing servers (X.X.X.17-25), but the existing servers
> don't
> receive stats from the new server (not traceable via tcpdump, either).

Sounds like the netmask and/or broadcast address is not set right on
that machine. That can really cause serious (and often confusing)
problems like the one you describe.

> On a separate topic, I was wondering if there might be any candidacy
> function that would randomly remove X number of servers from the
> candidacy
> list. byLogWindow removes such a large number of candidates from my list
> that it's not quite useful (when there are only less than 8 slaves); I'd
> much prefer to lop off 3 servers randomly so that I don't bombard any
> particular server. Thanks!

Nope. But writing your own as a loadable candidacy function should be
trivial.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
Principal Consultant