Mailing List Archive

ANNOUNCE: Apache::Backhand 0.01
Backhand folks -

I saw the mod_backhand talk at ApacheCon, and was an instant convert. I
thought something like this would be educational for me to write, and
hopefully useful to other backhanders. Just finished a rough draft, which
is uploading to CPAN as we speak. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might
have.

source here:
http://pootpoot.com/~dlowe/Apache-Backhand/Apache-Backhand-0.01.tar.gz

homepage & online documentation:
http://pootpoot.com/~dlowe/Apache-Backhand/

NAME
Apache::Backhand - Bridge between mod_backhand and mod_perl

SYNOPSIS
(in httpd.conf)
PerlModule Apache::Backhand
BackhandFromSO libexec/byPerl.so byPerl Package::function

(in Package.pm)
sub function {
my ($r, $s) = @_;
my (@servers) = @{$s};
my $serverstats = Apache::Backhand::load_serverstats();
my $personal_arriba = Apache::Backhand::load_personal_arriba();

# modify @servers...

return(\@servers);
}

(the following constants are also provided...)
Apache::Backhand::MAXSERVERS;
Apache::Backhand::MAXSESSIONSPERSERVER;
Apache::Backhand::SERVER_TIMEOUT;

DESCRIPTION
Apache::Backhand ties mod_perl together with mod_backhand,
in two major ways. First, the Apache::Backhand module
itself provides access to the global and shared state
information provided by mod_backhand (most notably
serverstats). Second, the byPerl C function (which is not
part of the Apache::Backhand module, but is distributed
together with it) allows you to write candidacy functions
in Perl.

: : : J. David Lowe :: dlowe@pootpoot.com :: http://pootpoot.com : : :
: "Time never started at all. Chaos never died. The Empire was :
: never founded. We are not now & never have been slaves to the :
: past or hostages to the future." -Hakim Bey, /T.A.Z./ :
:: fingerprint: 79 1D 66 9F 35 A1 2D ED 81 98 26 E1 F8 D5 3F 29 ::
ANNOUNCE: Apache::Backhand 0.01 [ In reply to ]
David Lowe wrote:
> I saw the mod_backhand talk at ApacheCon, and was an instant convert. I
> thought something like this would be educational for me to write, and
> hopefully useful to other backhanders. Just finished a rough draft, which
> is uploading to CPAN as we speak. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might
> have.
>
> source here:
> http://pootpoot.com/~dlowe/Apache-Backhand/Apache-Backhand-0.01.tar.gz
> homepage & online documentation:
> http://pootpoot.com/~dlowe/Apache-Backhand/

David, thanks so much for your contribution. This was of interest by
more that one person at ApacheCon. One question (as I didn't look at
you implementation): does it use the existing perl interpreter in
mod_perl, or does it load an interpreter in each Apache child?

Also, I put a link on the mod_backhand page (down in the Documentation
and Links box.

Thanks again!

--
Theo Schlossnagle
ANNOUNCE: Apache::Backhand 0.01 [ In reply to ]
Theo et. al. -

It relies heavily on mod_perl, including using the interpreter provided by
mod_perl. Any other way would have been reinventing a lot of wheels (i.e.
access to the request object from perl, etc...)

Take it easy...

: : : J. David Lowe :: dlowe@pootpoot.com :: http://pootpoot.com : : :
: "... that's what life is all about, finding a balloon :
: and loving it." - Jay Parsons :