Mailing List Archive

CVS repository and new goodies.
Hello everybody!

Over the past few weeks I have imported mod_backhand into CVS. Why I
wasn't using it before... who knows? I thought the ease of spotting
differences between different releases would be valuable.

I have found it very useful, so I thought I would let everyone else reap
the benefits.

I have place mod_backhand in CVS.
I have added access to the CVS tree through ViewCVS at:
http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs/
I have added anonymous CVS access. Directions at the preceding URL. A
quick summary of how to check out mod_backhand from CVS:

cvs -d
:pserver:anonymous@commedia.cnds.jhu.edu:/users/commedia/jesus/cvsroot
login
(just hit enter -- there is no password)
cvs checkout mod_backhand
cd mod_backhand

To update your copy to the newest version, just enter the mod_backhand
directory and issue:
cvs update (There is no need to login again).

Also, I installed the LXR source indexer at:
http://www-cnds.backhand.org/lxr/source
If anyone finds that useful.

Asied from that, I have added a few new features to the CVS version soon
to be 1.0.9. They include the ability to specify a port in the
MulticastStats line...

It was:
MulticastStats [IP] multicastip:port[,ttl]
is now:
MulticastStats [IP[:port]] multicastip:port[,ttl]

Two new directives have been added. BackhandLogLevel and
BackhandSelfRedirect

BackhandLogLevel allows you to specify what gets written out to the
error log. It is kind of complicated at the moment. It default to none
at all (which will change), but you can turn on any of the following:

net1 net2 net3 net4 netall mbcs1 mbcs2 mbcs3 mbcs4 mbcsall dcsn1 dcsn2
dcsn3 dcsn4 dcsnall

The Directive Works as follows:
BackhandLogLevel +mbcsall,-mbcs1,-mbcs2,+net4,+dcsn4

... you get the idea ... If you want to know what logs at what level..
the source is there ;)

The other directive is BackhandSelfRedirect (On|Off). It defaults to
Off and if left that way, you will see no differences in operation.

If you turn it on, then it changes how mod_backhand processes requests
when a server finds itself to be the best candidate. It normally allows
Apache to process it. If this is set to On, it will internally proxy to
its advertised IP address.

This can be really useful if you run a stock Apache server on eth0 and a
perl or php server on eth1. A better description of why you would want
to do this will come later (with the release of 1.0.9). But, those that
have been itching for this feature probably won't wait ;)

... Off to sleep now ...

--
Theo Schlossnagle
33131B65/2047/71 F7 95 64 49 76 5D BA 3D 90 B9 9F BE 27 24 E7