Mailing List Archive

Re: Where can I find the Header for kernel 2.4.20-28_36.rh9.at ?
On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:40:16PM +0000, John and Joan Pilkington wrote:
> You gave me the answer to this question last week, and I now
> have a driver for my Creatix/Intel linmodem.
>
> Under Network Device Control the modem can now be activated and
> deactivated, and pppd claims to establish a serial connection,
> and to connect ppp0 to /dev/modem
>
> The log in /var/log/messages looks almost identical to those
> produced by independently-processing modems, but there is still
> a problem: Mozilla does not talk to this modem.

I wouldn't use mozilla as a test tool. First make sure the iterface is
there with ifconfig and ifconfig -a. Check also the assigned IPs. Next
have a look at the routing table with route -n (the -n is good, as you
have no DNS lookup). If all looks good start pinging IPs.

If something does not work, install ethereal and use something like

tethereal -i any not host 127.0.0.1 (or simply ethereal&)

and watch the trafic.

> The only difference in the logs (apart from the byte counts)
> that looks as if it might be significant is that immediately
> before pppd starts and immediately after it exits I get these
> reports:
>
> kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0a.0
> kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:02.3

This looks harmless, use lspci to see which devices share
IRQs. Probably your internal modem and the NIC.

> I wonder if you have any hints about what I should try?

I hope the above helps.

--
Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de