http://wild-light.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
ATRPMS down? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 02:41:19PM -0700, Fedor Pikus wrote:
> Is ATRPMS (or its upstream provider) down? I can't connect to any
> atrpms.netsites (dl, www, list).

It crashed due to too high memory consumption, which in turn happened
due to too many httpd downloaders. Which probably was only a few real
persons with download accelerators :(
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 02:41:19PM -0700, Fedor Pikus wrote:
> > Is ATRPMS (or its upstream provider) down? I can't connect to any
> > atrpms.netsites (dl, www, list).
>
> It crashed due to too high memory consumption, which in turn happened
> due to too many httpd downloaders. Which probably was only a few real
> persons with download accelerators :(

Have you lowered the number of concurrent connections allowed by
Apache? Have you thought about putting squid in front of apache as a
reverse proxy? Squid works much better at handling high numbers of
concurrent connections than Apache does as it doesn't require a
dedicated thread or process for each connection.

-Dave
ATRPMS down? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 05:48:14PM -0700, David Rees wrote:
> On 5/4/06, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 02:41:19PM -0700, Fedor Pikus wrote:
> > > Is ATRPMS (or its upstream provider) down? I can't connect to any
> > > atrpms.netsites (dl, www, list).
> >
> > It crashed due to too high memory consumption, which in turn happened
> > due to too many httpd downloaders. Which probably was only a few real
> > persons with download accelerators :(
>
> Have you lowered the number of concurrent connections allowed by
> Apache? Have you thought about putting squid in front of apache as a
> reverse proxy? Squid works much better at handling high numbers of
> concurrent connections than Apache does as it doesn't require a
> dedicated thread or process for each connection.

Hm, that's an idea. squid might also handle the byte range
"accelerator" accesses, e.g. it may translate them to one fetch and
then deliver in pieces ... (?)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
> > Have you lowered the number of concurrent connections allowed by
> > Apache? Have you thought about putting squid in front of apache as a
> > reverse proxy? Squid works much better at handling high numbers of
> > concurrent connections than Apache does as it doesn't require a
> > dedicated thread or process for each connection.
>
> Hm, that's an idea. squid might also handle the byte range
> "accelerator" accesses, e.g. it may translate them to one fetch and
> then deliver in pieces ... (?)

I'm not sure how squid will handle that case, but regardless it should
really improve performance of your server. Takes some
reading/configuring to get it working, you'll probably want to get
squid running on a different port at first before making it the
primary on port 80.

-Dave
ATRPMS down? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 12:42:59AM -0700, David Rees wrote:
> On 5/6/06, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> > > Have you lowered the number of concurrent connections allowed by
> > > Apache? Have you thought about putting squid in front of apache as a
> > > reverse proxy? Squid works much better at handling high numbers of
> > > concurrent connections than Apache does as it doesn't require a
> > > dedicated thread or process for each connection.
> >
> > Hm, that's an idea. squid might also handle the byte range
> > "accelerator" accesses, e.g. it may translate them to one fetch and
> > then deliver in pieces ... (?)
>
> I'm not sure how squid will handle that case, but regardless it should
> really improve performance of your server. Takes some
> reading/configuring to get it working, you'll probably want to get
> squid running on a different port at first before making it the
> primary on port 80.

Yes, I will be experimenting first. I had squid running in transparent
proxy mode before, the only thing I'm a bit worried are files going
through two processes, e.g. eating twice as much memory.

BTW I found tha yum is supposed to only open up one connection. Maybe
some users have keepalive=0 in their yum.conf.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net