Mailing List Archive

LIRC on CentOS 6
I'm getting a new MythTV frontend up and running on CentOS 6 x86_64. I
have the LIRC 0.8.7 packages installed:

$rpm -qa |grep lirc
lirc-devices-0.8-4.el6.noarch
lirc-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
liblirc_client0-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
lirc-kmdl-2.6.32-279.5.1.el6-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64

When I plug in my receiver, the lirc_mceusb driver is loaded as expected.

The problem is I don't get any of the usual /dev/lirc* entries created.

I see some postings going back to 2006 and 2009 that suggest manually
creating the files with mknod. I tried a few variations but running
lircd still complains about communicating with /dev/lirc or whatever I
put into /etc/sysconfig/lircd.

I've tried removing and reloading the driver with modprobe.

The one file from lirc-devices-0.8-4.el6.noarch in /etc/udev/rules.d is
definitely there.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:07:02 -0700
Kirk Bocek <t004@kbocek.com> wrote:

> I'm getting a new MythTV frontend up and running on CentOS 6 x86_64.
> I have the LIRC 0.8.7 packages installed:
>
> $rpm -qa |grep lirc
> lirc-devices-0.8-4.el6.noarch
> lirc-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
> liblirc_client0-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
> lirc-kmdl-2.6.32-279.5.1.el6-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
>
> When I plug in my receiver, the lirc_mceusb driver is loaded as
> expected.
>
> The problem is I don't get any of the usual /dev/lirc* entries
> created.

The kernel model for the mceusb stuff changed in EL six. See
http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95 for some background. I don't have the
lirc-kmdl package installed, and mine works fine with the stock
mceusb.ko kernel moodule.

My /etc/sysconfig/lircd has
LIRCD_OPTIONS="--device=name='Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
Transceiver (1784:0011)' -H devinput"

You can look at /proc/bus/input/devices to find the right name for your
remove.

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On 8/23/2012 8:47 PM, James Szinger wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:07:02 -0700
> Kirk Bocek <t004@kbocek.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm getting a new MythTV frontend up and running on CentOS 6 x86_64.
>> I have the LIRC 0.8.7 packages installed:
>>
>> $rpm -qa |grep lirc
>> lirc-devices-0.8-4.el6.noarch
>> lirc-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
>> liblirc_client0-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
>> lirc-kmdl-2.6.32-279.5.1.el6-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
>>
>> When I plug in my receiver, the lirc_mceusb driver is loaded as
>> expected.
>>
>> The problem is I don't get any of the usual /dev/lirc* entries
>> created.
>
> The kernel model for the mceusb stuff changed in EL six. See
> http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95 for some background. I don't have the
> lirc-kmdl package installed, and mine works fine with the stock
> mceusb.ko kernel moodule.
>
> My /etc/sysconfig/lircd has
> LIRCD_OPTIONS="--device=name='Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
> Transceiver (1784:0011)' -H devinput"
>
> You can look at /proc/bus/input/devices to find the right name for your
> remove.

Thanks James. I was sent in the same direction over in the CentOS forums:

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38926&forum=57

I now have the 0.9.0 packages from EPEL installed and no kmdl package.
Is there any reason for Axel to continue publishing the kmdl packages
for CentOS 6?

The issue I am having now is that only the Microsoft remote that came
with the receiver is working. I've tried two different generic remotes
with six or eight different configurations. Nothing gives me output from
IRW. These are configurations that worked with lirc 0.8.7 under CentOS 5.

I *do* see output from mode2. Meaning IR pulses are being received, just
not properly interpreted.

I tried adding your '-H devinput' option to /etc/sysconfig/lirc. All it
did was cause the Microsoft remote to stop working.

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On 8/24/2012 7:24 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 8/23/2012 8:47 PM, James Szinger wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:07:02 -0700
>> Kirk Bocek <t004@kbocek.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting a new MythTV frontend up and running on CentOS 6 x86_64.
>>> I have the LIRC 0.8.7 packages installed:
>>>
>>> $rpm -qa |grep lirc
>>> lirc-devices-0.8-4.el6.noarch
>>> lirc-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
>>> liblirc_client0-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
>>> lirc-kmdl-2.6.32-279.5.1.el6-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
>>>
>>> When I plug in my receiver, the lirc_mceusb driver is loaded as
>>> expected.
>>>
>>> The problem is I don't get any of the usual /dev/lirc* entries
>>> created.
>>
>> The kernel model for the mceusb stuff changed in EL six. See
>> http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95 for some background. I don't have the
>> lirc-kmdl package installed, and mine works fine with the stock
>> mceusb.ko kernel moodule.
>>
>> My /etc/sysconfig/lircd has
>> LIRCD_OPTIONS="--device=name='Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
>> Transceiver (1784:0011)' -H devinput"
>>
>> You can look at /proc/bus/input/devices to find the right name for your
>> remove.
>
> Thanks James. I was sent in the same direction over in the CentOS forums:
>
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38926&forum=57
>
> I now have the 0.9.0 packages from EPEL installed and no kmdl package.
> Is there any reason for Axel to continue publishing the kmdl packages
> for CentOS 6?
>
> The issue I am having now is that only the Microsoft remote that came
> with the receiver is working. I've tried two different generic remotes
> with six or eight different configurations. Nothing gives me output from
> IRW. These are configurations that worked with lirc 0.8.7 under CentOS 5.
>
> I *do* see output from mode2. Meaning IR pulses are being received, just
> not properly interpreted.
>
> I tried adding your '-H devinput' option to /etc/sysconfig/lirc. All it
> did was cause the Microsoft remote to stop working.

Via your link, James, I got to:

http://lirc.org/html/devinput.html

Which explains a conflict between lirc and hal. I've installed the
recommended file to get hal to ignore the receiver. When I get home this
evening I'll see if that fixes things.

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On 8/24/2012 10:35 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> Via your link, James, I got to:
>
> http://lirc.org/html/devinput.html
>
> Which explains a conflict between lirc and hal. I've installed the
> recommended file to get hal to ignore the receiver. When I get home this
> evening I'll see if that fixes things.

I tried blocking the receiver in hal as recommended on that page but no
luck. Same behavior as before. The Microsoft remote works fine in irw
but not my generic remotes.

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 07:24 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 8/23/2012 8:47 PM, James Szinger wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:07:02 -0700
> > Kirk Bocek <t004@kbocek.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm getting a new MythTV frontend up and running on CentOS 6 x86_64.
> >> I have the LIRC 0.8.7 packages installed:
> >>
> >> $rpm -qa |grep lirc
> >> lirc-devices-0.8-4.el6.noarch
> >> lirc-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
> >> liblirc_client0-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
> >> lirc-kmdl-2.6.32-279.5.1.el6-0.8.7-88.el6.x86_64
> >>
> >> When I plug in my receiver, the lirc_mceusb driver is loaded as
> >> expected.
> >>
> >> The problem is I don't get any of the usual /dev/lirc* entries
> >> created.
> >
> > The kernel model for the mceusb stuff changed in EL six. See
> > http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95 for some background. I don't have the
> > lirc-kmdl package installed, and mine works fine with the stock
> > mceusb.ko kernel moodule.
> >
> > My /etc/sysconfig/lircd has
> > LIRCD_OPTIONS="--device=name='Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote
> > Transceiver (1784:0011)' -H devinput"
> >
> > You can look at /proc/bus/input/devices to find the right name for your
> > remove.
>
> Thanks James. I was sent in the same direction over in the CentOS forums:
>
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38926&forum=57
>
> I now have the 0.9.0 packages from EPEL installed and no kmdl package.
> Is there any reason for Axel to continue publishing the kmdl packages
> for CentOS 6?
>
> The issue I am having now is that only the Microsoft remote that came
> with the receiver is working. I've tried two different generic remotes
> with six or eight different configurations. Nothing gives me output from
> IRW. These are configurations that worked with lirc 0.8.7 under CentOS 5.
>
> I *do* see output from mode2. Meaning IR pulses are being received, just
> not properly interpreted.
>
> I tried adding your '-H devinput' option to /etc/sysconfig/lirc. All it
> did was cause the Microsoft remote to stop working.

Can't speak to anyone else, I use the atrpms kernel modules for 0.8.7-88
on both my RHEL and CentOS machines that have both the IR from Hauppauge
IR hardware & remotes and a MCE USB compatible one as well. Oh, and IR
blaster that I use to channels on cable box, couldn't ever get the
firewire to do anything except turn the box on/off.

Have never been able to get the 0.9.x series to work for me, doubtless
my fault somehow, so I for one greatly appreciate having these kernel
modules available.

Jim

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On 8/25/2012 8:28 AM, James B. Huber wrote:
> Can't speak to anyone else, I use the atrpms kernel modules for 0.8.7-88
> on both my RHEL and CentOS machines that have both the IR from Hauppauge
> IR hardware & remotes and a MCE USB compatible one as well. Oh, and IR
> blaster that I use to channels on cable box, couldn't ever get the
> firewire to do anything except turn the box on/off.
>
> Have never been able to get the 0.9.x series to work for me, doubtless
> my fault somehow, so I for one greatly appreciate having these kernel
> modules available.
>
> Jim

The 0.9.0 package from EPEL *are* working but so far *only* with the
Microsoft remote that came with the receiver. I can't get any of my
generic IR remotes to work with the half-dozen or so remote formats I've
used in the past with 0.8.7.

But you say you're using 0.8.7-88 under CentoOS 6 x86_64? If I can't get
0.9.0 working maybe I'll go back.

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004@kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 8/25/2012 8:28 AM, James B. Huber wrote:
>
>> Can't speak to anyone else, I use the atrpms kernel modules for 0.8.7-88
>> on both my RHEL and CentOS machines that have both the IR from Hauppauge
>> IR hardware & remotes and a MCE USB compatible one as well. Oh, and IR
>> blaster that I use to channels on cable box, couldn't ever get the
>> firewire to do anything except turn the box on/off.
>>
>> Have never been able to get the 0.9.x series to work for me, doubtless
>> my fault somehow, so I for one greatly appreciate having these kernel
>> modules available.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> The 0.9.0 package from EPEL *are* working but so far *only* with the
> Microsoft remote that came with the receiver. I can't get any of my generic
> IR remotes to work with the half-dozen or so remote formats I've used in
> the past with 0.8.7.
>
> But you say you're using 0.8.7-88 under CentoOS 6 x86_64? If I can't get
> 0.9.0 working maybe I'll go back.

You have to create your own remote configuration file. The codes are
different
when you use the native IR from the kernel.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ
Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On 8/26/2012 9:21 PM, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004@kbocek.com
> <mailto:t004@kbocek.com>> wrote:
>

> On 8/25/2012 8:28 AM, James B. Huber wrote:
>
> Can't speak to anyone else, I use the atrpms kernel modules for
> 0.8.7-88
> on both my RHEL and CentOS machines that have both the IR from
> Hauppauge
> IR hardware & remotes and a MCE USB compatible one as well. Oh,
> and IR
> blaster that I use to channels on cable box, couldn't ever get the
> firewire to do anything except turn the box on/off.
>
> Have never been able to get the 0.9.x series to work for me,
> doubtless
> my fault somehow, so I for one greatly appreciate having these
> kernel
> modules available.
>
> Jim
>

> The 0.9.0 package from EPEL *are* working but so far *only* with the
> Microsoft remote that came with the receiver. I can't get any of my
> generic IR remotes to work with the half-dozen or so remote formats
> I've used in the past with 0.8.7.
>
> But you say you're using 0.8.7-88 under CentoOS 6 x86_64? If I can't
> get 0.9.0 working maybe I'll go back.
>

> You have to create your own remote configuration file. The codes are
> different
> when you use the native IR from the kernel.

Yes. What I have is a collection of configurations that I have used for
years on 0.8.x successfully on CentOS 5. I'm trying to make the
transition to CentOS 6 since apparently MythTV is going to be abandoned
on 5.

Right now my old IR configurations aren't working, either under 0.8.7
*or* 0.9.0. At the moment I'm working with EPEL's 0.9.0 and I know this
is the wrong list for that but I may come back to Axel's packages since
James says he's using them successfully on 6.

I am still faithfully using Axel's Myth packages. Just stuck on 0.24.3
for now.

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 01:21 -0300, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004@kbocek.com> wrote:
>

> On 8/25/2012 8:28 AM, James B. Huber wrote:
> Can't speak to anyone else, I use the atrpms kernel
> modules for 0.8.7-88
> on both my RHEL and CentOS machines that have both the
> IR from Hauppauge
> IR hardware & remotes and a MCE USB compatible one as
> well. Oh, and IR
> blaster that I use to channels on cable box, couldn't
> ever get the
> firewire to do anything except turn the box on/off.
>
> Have never been able to get the 0.9.x series to work
> for me, doubtless
> my fault somehow, so I for one greatly appreciate
> having these kernel
> modules available.
>
> Jim
>

> The 0.9.0 package from EPEL *are* working but so far *only*
> with the Microsoft remote that came with the receiver. I can't
> get any of my generic IR remotes to work with the half-dozen
> or so remote formats I've used in the past with 0.8.7.
>
> But you say you're using 0.8.7-88 under CentoOS 6 x86_64? If I
> can't get 0.9.0 working maybe I'll go back.
>

> You have to create your own remote configuration file. The codes are
> different
> when you use the native IR from the kernel.

Yes, I am using 0.8.7-88 under obth real RHEL 6.3 and CentOS, both
x86_64. I couldn't make the stuff from EPEL work.

Guess my first question would be (and I am assuming you've stuffed the
entries from your previous working config's) are you sure the driver for
the particular hardware you need/want is actually built in their set ?

And FWIW, I'm using with mythtv 0.24.3 from atrpms as well.

Jim

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
Kirk Bocek <t004@kbocek.com> says:
> Yes. What I have is a collection of configurations that I have used
> for years on 0.8.x successfully on CentOS 5. I'm trying to make the
> transition to CentOS 6 since apparently MythTV is going to be
> abandoned on 5.
>
> Right now my old IR configurations aren't working, either under
> 0.8.7 *or* 0.9.0.

[...]

> I am still faithfully using Axel's Myth packages. Just stuck on 0.24.3
> for now.

When I moved to CentOS 6 and MythTV 0.25 I copied over
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf and /etc/sysconfig/lircd. The single RPM
installed is the one from ATrpms. (My IR receiver is a HDHomeRun, so
no kernel modules or /dev entry.)

I used MythTV's built-in LIRC support years ago but when I briefly
tried it again after the migration I was unsuccessful, so returned to
the proven irxevent/irexec combination.

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> wrote:

> Kirk Bocek <t004@kbocek.com> says:
> > Yes. What I have is a collection of configurations that I have used
> > for years on 0.8.x successfully on CentOS 5. I'm trying to make the
> > transition to CentOS 6 since apparently MythTV is going to be
> > abandoned on 5.
> >
> > Right now my old IR configurations aren't working, either under
> > 0.8.7 *or* 0.9.0.
>
> [...]
>
> > I am still faithfully using Axel's Myth packages. Just stuck on 0.24.3
> > for now.
>
> When I moved to CentOS 6 and MythTV 0.25 I copied over
> /etc/lirc/lircd.conf and /etc/sysconfig/lircd. The single RPM
> installed is the one from ATrpms. (My IR receiver is a HDHomeRun, so
> no kernel modules or /dev entry.)
>
> I used MythTV's built-in LIRC support years ago but when I briefly
> tried it again after the migration I was unsuccessful, so returned to
> the proven irxevent/irexec combination.

Yeechang, do you have a set of patches you apply to 0.25 similar to your
other bijou releases? :)

/Brian/
Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On 8/26/2012 11:46 PM, James B. Huber wrote:

>> You have to create your own remote configuration file. The codes are
>> different
>> when you use the native IR from the kernel.
>>
> Yes, I am using 0.8.7-88 under obth real RHEL 6.3 and CentOS, both
> x86_64. I couldn't make the stuff from EPEL work.
>
> Guess my first question would be (and I am assuming you've stuffed the
> entries from your previous working config's) are you sure the driver for
> the particular hardware you need/want is actually built in their set ?
>
> And FWIW, I'm using with mythtv 0.24.3 from atrpms as well.
>
> Jim

That's the thing about 0.9.0: the driver is in the kernel and not part
of the package. The driver for me is mceusb and not lirc_mceusb.

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
Brian Long <briandlong@gmail.com> says:
> Yeechang, do you have a set of patches you apply to 0.25 similar to
> your other bijou releases?

No bijou for 0.26 yet.

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On 8/26/2012 11:46 PM, James B. Huber wrote:

> Guess my first question would be (and I am assuming you've stuffed the
> entries from your previous working config's) are you sure the driver for
> the particular hardware you need/want is actually built in their set ?
>
> And FWIW, I'm using with mythtv 0.24.3 from atrpms as well.
>
> Jim

After perusing

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LIRC

I thought I'd give ir-keytable a shot. I thought maybe enabling the
other protocols would make my other remotes come alive:

$ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event12) with:
Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC
Enabled protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC
Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
bus: 3, vendor/product: 0471:0815, version: 0x0000
Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 33 ms

But no, same results, only the Microsoft remote gives me any output in
irw. All my other configured remotes (Sony TV, Tivo, Scientific Atlanta
Cable Box) give no output.

Frustrating given that the MS remote *is* working and that mode2 shows
output with the other remotes when lirc is shut down.

Since I'm not using the ATrpms packages at the moment, this will be my
last post here. I'll return if I go back to Axel's packages.

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On 8/26/2012 11:46 PM, James B. Huber wrote:
> Yes, I am using 0.8.7-88 under obth real RHEL 6.3 and CentOS, both
> x86_64. I couldn't make the stuff from EPEL work.
>
> Guess my first question would be (and I am assuming you've stuffed the
> entries from your previous working config's) are you sure the driver for
> the particular hardware you need/want is actually built in their set ?
>
> And FWIW, I'm using with mythtv 0.24.3 from atrpms as well.
>
> Jim

After getting nowhere trying to get 0.9.0 running, I'm back to Axel's
0.8.7 packages. I even tried posting to the lirc list with no answer.

It wasn't a total loss, this struggle let me know about the existence of
the new in-kernel mceusb driver. The fix was to remove that driver then
reload lirc_mceusb. Now my custom configurations are working with irw.

So thanks Jim for letting me know you got 0.8.7 working.

I just need to figure out how to blacklist mceusb.

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2012-09-01 at 13:02 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 8/26/2012 11:46 PM, James B. Huber wrote:
> > Yes, I am using 0.8.7-88 under obth real RHEL 6.3 and CentOS, both
> > x86_64. I couldn't make the stuff from EPEL work.
> >
> > Guess my first question would be (and I am assuming you've stuffed the
> > entries from your previous working config's) are you sure the driver for
> > the particular hardware you need/want is actually built in their set ?
> >
> > And FWIW, I'm using with mythtv 0.24.3 from atrpms as well.
> >
> > Jim
>
> After getting nowhere trying to get 0.9.0 running, I'm back to Axel's
> 0.8.7 packages. I even tried posting to the lirc list with no answer.
>
> It wasn't a total loss, this struggle let me know about the existence of
> the new in-kernel mceusb driver. The fix was to remove that driver then
> reload lirc_mceusb. Now my custom configurations are working with irw.
>
> So thanks Jim for letting me know you got 0.8.7 working.
>
> I just need to figure out how to blacklist mceusb.

Look in /etc/modprobe.d either drop your own file in there or add to
blacklist.conf (just add the line "blacklist mceusb")....

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
James B. Huber <jbhuber@judahnet.net> says:
> > I just need to figure out how to blacklist mceusb.
>
> Look in /etc/modprobe.d either drop your own file in there or add to
> blacklist.conf (just add the line "blacklist mceusb")....

Not that simple; an in-kernel module may be loaded as part of initrd
and won't response to modprobe.d, which is scanned much later in the
boot process. Nouveau is the classic example, which has mystified an
entire generation of Linux users trying to get their Nvidia cards to
work with the proprietary drivers.

Kirk, try adding

rdblacklist=mceusb # (or whatever the name of the module is)

to the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf.

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee@pobox.com> | San Francisco

Re: LIRC on CentOS 6 [ In reply to ]
On 9/2/2012 8:39 AM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> James B. Huber <jbhuber@judahnet.net> says:
>>> I just need to figure out how to blacklist mceusb.
>>
>> Look in /etc/modprobe.d either drop your own file in there or add to
>> blacklist.conf (just add the line "blacklist mceusb")....
>
> Not that simple; an in-kernel module may be loaded as part of initrd
> and won't response to modprobe.d, which is scanned much later in the
> boot process. Nouveau is the classic example, which has mystified an
> entire generation of Linux users trying to get their Nvidia cards to
> work with the proprietary drivers.
>
> Kirk, try adding
>
> rdblacklist=mceusb # (or whatever the name of the module is)
>
> to the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf.

Thank you for the rdblacklist pointer Yeechang. I can easily become
mystified. :) See my efforts to get 0.9.0 running. Now why would 0.9.0
willfully ignore my /etc/lirc/lircd.conf configurations? I guess I'll
never know. I'm back to Axel's always working 0.8.7 packages.

In this case the entry in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf was enough to
keep mceusb from loading.

Thanks again.