Mailing List Archive

Fwd: kmdl Build Question

Re: Fwd: kmdl Build Question [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Bob Lightfoot <boblfoot@gmail.com> wrote:

> This may have been discussed in the past so pardon the repeat if it
> has. I know Axel is a wonderful one man show and will eventually have
> time to build and release the video4linux-kmdl,
> nvidia-graphics295.20-kmdl and lirc-kmdl modules I use on my mythtv
> system. In the meantime I am running the 279 kernel despite 279.1.1
> and 279.2.1 having been released.
>
> My question is this?
>
> Should I wish to play and learn is it possible to get the src.rpm for
> these moudules and on a system running the 279 kernel build modules
> for 279.1.1 or 279.2.1 or do I need the target kernel in a vm and
> build the modules on it?

Yes, you can build modules for kernels you are not running.
The only thing you need is the kernel-devel of the appropriate version
installed for building the module for that kernel.

nvidia is a little more complicated but the other two are easy:

http://people.atrpms.net/~pcavalcanti/LCG_kernel_modules.html

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ