Mailing List Archive

STSM/ATrpms FC1 DVD
I've finally got some feedback on the DVD...

xmltv -- I think it'd be best if there were a single checkbox for
installing xmltv and all its dependencies. I'm not sure what any of
those sub-packages would be used for besides xmltv, at least under
typical use, so I think it'd be worth abstracting them out of there for
the main package selection screens.

alsa -- one of the selectable items is
alsa-kmdl-2.4.22-2166.nptl_35.rhfc1.at. Probably not the best label
there, since it has to be changed when the kernel changes, and it isn't
correct if I'm running an smp kernel.

start of installation -- there's a heavily pixellated Fedora image in
black and white. What happened there?!?

lm_sensors -- I didn't choose to install it, but I was greeted at
startup by failures on the lm_sensors init script, so I guess it got
installed anyhow. I haven't looked at comps to see what might have made
it install...

Other than that, its working just fine on an Athlon system here. I
haven't had a chance to throw it on a dual processor machine yet, but
should be able to tomorrow.

--jarod
> I've finally got some feedback on the DVD...

Better late than never :)

> xmltv -- I think it'd be best if there were a single checkbox for
> installing xmltv and all its dependencies. I'm not sure what any of
> those sub-packages would be used for besides xmltv, at least under
> typical use, so I think it'd be worth abstracting them out of there for
> the main package selection screens.

I'll look at it and see what I can do about it.

> alsa -- one of the selectable items is
> alsa-kmdl-2.4.22-2166.nptl_35.rhfc1.at. Probably not the best label
> there, since it has to be changed when the kernel changes, and it isn't
> correct if I'm running an smp kernel.

*point to Axel* Don't blame me :)

The base name of the package is just that so that's why it needs to be
like that in the comps file.

There is code in there to install the SMP kmdl package if need be so
that thing is just so that someone can decide if he wants it at all
or not, not to specifically chose which as I don't think anyone
really cares if he needs the SMP modules or not and also - if you would
chose the SMP modules by hand and the SMP kernel wouldn't be installed
you'd be in trouble. A HT machine can be misdetected as UP at times
and if someone thinks he's got a machine that needs SMP then he would
chose the SMP modules but the installer might not install the modules.

That's why I simply check if the smp kernel will be installed and if so,
I also chose the alsa-kmdl-smp-xxxxxx package.

Same goes for all the other kmdl packages.

> start of installation -- there's a heavily pixellated Fedora image in
> black and white. What happened there?!?

Umm.. I haven't seen that ? Is that the one that greets you when
you insert the DVD ?

If so, did it occur on the first DVD you got from me?

> lm_sensors -- I didn't choose to install it, but I was greeted at
> startup by failures on the lm_sensors init script, so I guess it got
> installed anyhow. I haven't looked at comps to see what might have made
> it install...

The problem (if you call it that) isn't in the comps file.

The lm_sensors RPM that comes with FC1 is version 2.8.1.
lm_sensors 2.8.1 contains libsensors.so.2.
lm_sensors 2.8.2 contains libsensors.so.3.
The DVD contains both lm_sensors 2.8.2 (package name lm_sensors)
AND lm_sensors 2.8.1 (package name lm_sensors281).

Now, kdebase depends on "lm_sensors" and libsensors.so.2.

Result, both are installed. The actual diff I believe is that
lm_sensors will autostart directly when installed compared to
the FC1 one that you have to enable yourself. That's why
the failure.

> Other than that, its working just fine on an Athlon system here. I
> haven't had a chance to throw it on a dual processor machine yet, but
> should be able to tomorrow.

Excellent.

I've run into very many problems with the DVD in the last few days
and I'm working my way through them right now. We'll see how it goes.
I might have to go back to 0.1 as it doesn't have the problems ...

Jarod - Can you try out the first one I sent you and tell me if you
get a question wether you should make a bootdisk or not?

I'm a little perplexed as the 0.1 version asks that and the anaconda
itself is only changed in 4 places between 0.1 and the latest iteration
of the installer and none of those changes should have any influence
whatsoever with if it should ask that or not.

Mind you that I'm talking all files from 0.1 DVD + installer 1
compared to 0.1 DVD + installer 3.

It's really odd.

I haven't released a new status update as I've been fighting my ass
off with the problems.

That's why there hasn't been any new ISO for you to grab either.

// Stefan
STSM/ATrpms FC1 DVD [ In reply to ]
On Feb 15, 2004, at 23:31, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:

>> xmltv -- I think it'd be best if there were a single checkbox for
>> installing xmltv and all its dependencies. I'm not sure what any of
>> those sub-packages would be used for besides xmltv, at least under
>> typical use, so I think it'd be worth abstracting them out of there
>> for the main package selection screens.
>
> I'll look at it and see what I can do about it.

Cool.

>> alsa -- one of the selectable items is
>> alsa-kmdl-2.4.22-2166.nptl_35.rhfc1.at. Probably not the best label
>> there, since it has to be changed when the kernel changes, and it
>> isn't correct if I'm running an smp kernel.
>
> *point to Axel* Don't blame me :)

Heh. ;-)

> The base name of the package is just that so that's why it needs to be
> like that in the comps file.

Can the same thing I proposed w/xmltv be done? Only make alsa-driver
selectable, and force the kmdl to be installed along with it, since
neither does much good without the other. It'd then obfuscate the
naming problem and reduce the package selection list at the same time.

> There is code in there to install the SMP kmdl package if need be so
> that thing is just so that someone can decide if he wants it at all
> or not, not to specifically chose which as I don't think anyone
> really cares if he needs the SMP modules or not and also - if you would
> chose the SMP modules by hand and the SMP kernel wouldn't be installed
> you'd be in trouble. A HT machine can be misdetected as UP at times
> and if someone thinks he's got a machine that needs SMP then he would
> chose the SMP modules but the installer might not install the modules.
>
> That's why I simply check if the smp kernel will be installed and if
> so,
> I also chose the alsa-kmdl-smp-xxxxxx package.

Ooh. Messy.

>> start of installation -- there's a heavily pixellated Fedora image in
>> black and white. What happened there?!?
>
> Umm.. I haven't seen that ? Is that the one that greets you when
> you insert the DVD ?

Just after package selection when you see "preparing for installation,
this may take a few minutes". It isn't a graphic, per se, but rather
the text "Fedora Core", but it is badly pixellated like its a low-res
bitmap.

> If so, did it occur on the first DVD you got from me?

It was the 0.1 DVD. I forgot the second one at work, and didn't want to
burn another just yet.

>> lm_sensors -- I didn't choose to install it, but I was greeted at
>> startup by failures on the lm_sensors init script, so I guess it got
>> installed anyhow. I haven't looked at comps to see what might have
>> made it install...
>
> The problem (if you call it that) isn't in the comps file.
>
> The lm_sensors RPM that comes with FC1 is version 2.8.1.
> lm_sensors 2.8.1 contains libsensors.so.2.
> lm_sensors 2.8.2 contains libsensors.so.3.
> The DVD contains both lm_sensors 2.8.2 (package name lm_sensors)
> AND lm_sensors 2.8.1 (package name lm_sensors281).
>
> Now, kdebase depends on "lm_sensors" and libsensors.so.2.
>
> Result, both are installed. The actual diff I believe is that
> lm_sensors will autostart directly when installed compared to
> the FC1 one that you have to enable yourself. That's why
> the failure.

Ah, okay, no biggie.

>> Other than that, its working just fine on an Athlon system here. I
>> haven't had a chance to throw it on a dual processor machine yet, but
>> should be able to tomorrow.
>
> Excellent.
>
> I've run into very many problems with the DVD in the last few days
> and I'm working my way through them right now. We'll see how it goes.
> I might have to go back to 0.1 as it doesn't have the problems ...

I haven't had an opportunity to play with the second one myself, but
perhaps Tuesday (unless I burn another DVD, but my DVD-R stockpile
isn't that big -- I wish DVD-RW would work for me...).

> Jarod - Can you try out the first one I sent you and tell me if you
> get a question wether you should make a bootdisk or not?

It hasn't, but then the machines I've been testing on thus far have no
floppy, so that is the expected behavior (at least, thats what I've
seen with stock Red Hat FC1).

> I'm a little perplexed as the 0.1 version asks that and the anaconda
> itself is only changed in 4 places between 0.1 and the latest iteration
> of the installer and none of those changes should have any influence
> whatsoever with if it should ask that or not.
>
> Mind you that I'm talking all files from 0.1 DVD + installer 1
> compared to 0.1 DVD + installer 3.
>
> It's really odd.

No clue here.

> I haven't released a new status update as I've been fighting my ass
> off with the problems.

Fun, fun, fun... :-\

> That's why there hasn't been any new ISO for you to grab either.

Not that I'd have had the time anyhow. Gotta get to sleep, I have to
work on my day off tomorrow... :-(

--jarod
On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 08:31:47AM +0100, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:
> >alsa -- one of the selectable items is
> >alsa-kmdl-2.4.22-2166.nptl_35.rhfc1.at. Probably not the best label
> >there, since it has to be changed when the kernel changes, and it isn't
> >correct if I'm running an smp kernel.
>
> *point to Axel* Don't blame me :)
>
> The base name of the package is just that so that's why it needs to be
> like that in the comps file.

Can the displayed string be altered, or does anaconda require showing
the base name of the rpm?

Alternatively, all but the lirc kmdl rpms have a master packages that
requires in the kmdl packages, e.g. alsa-driver for alsa, bttv for
bttv-kmdl etc.

> >lm_sensors -- I didn't choose to install it, but I was greeted at
> >startup by failures on the lm_sensors init script, so I guess it got
> >installed anyhow. I haven't looked at comps to see what might have made
> >it install...

I am meaning to look into the automatic enabling of lm_sensors for
quite some time now and am forgetting it. That's where a nagging
bugzilla would have been helpful. I believe the bugzilla instance is
ready to be launched.

Stefan, is it possible and does it make sense to test the DVD in NFS
network install? Most parts of anaconda like the package selection
algorithms would be the same, I suppose.

It would make testing easier, as one would only need to download a
couple of files and us local mirrors of the packages. Shorter testing
cycles and testers w/o DVD burners would be able to jump in.
--
Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de