Mailing List Archive

mythbackend fails to start on boot; mysqld not ready
I would say about 25% of the time, mythbackend doesn't start on my Fedora 16 box on reboot. From the logs, it appears the local mysqld is not ready to accept connections. Unfortunately, it doesn't try to reconnect and the result is missed recordings and a non-functional frontend. Restarting mythbackend (service mythbackend restart) is the band-aid.

Is there some improvement we can make to the initscript to ensure we can talk to the sql server? I realize it might not be local on the box, so we can't just depend on the mysqld service.

Note mysqld is a systemd service while mythbackend is a SysV service (init.d script).

I'd take a stab at a fix, but would appreciate any guidance on the best direction to head.

Thanks!

Re: mythbackend fails to start on boot; mysqld not ready [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Chris Schanzle <schanzle@nist.gov> wrote:
> I would say about 25% of the time, mythbackend doesn't start on my Fedora 16
> box on reboot.  From the logs, it appears the local mysqld is not ready to
> accept connections.  Unfortunately, it doesn't try to reconnect and the
> result is missed recordings and a non-functional frontend.  Restarting
> mythbackend (service mythbackend restart) is the band-aid.
>
> Is there some improvement we can make to the initscript to ensure we can
> talk to the sql server?  I realize it might not be local on the box, so we
> can't just depend on the mysqld service.
>
> Note mysqld is a systemd service while mythbackend is a SysV service (init.d
> script).
>
> I'd take a stab at a fix, but would appreciate any guidance on the best
> direction to head.
>
> Thanks!

Chris:

Any luck on developing something that works here? I've noticed others
are also having this issue and I'll probably take a look at it this
weekend, but if you've made a headstart, please let me know.

Thanks,

George

Re: mythbackend fails to start on boot; mysqld not ready [ In reply to ]
On 05/11/2012 11:38 AM, George Galt wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Chris Schanzle<schanzle@nist.gov> wrote:
>> I would say about 25% of the time, mythbackend doesn't start on my Fedora 16
>> box on reboot. From the logs, it appears the local mysqld is not ready to
>> accept connections. Unfortunately, it doesn't try to reconnect and the
>> result is missed recordings and a non-functional frontend. Restarting
>> mythbackend (service mythbackend restart) is the band-aid.
>>
>> Is there some improvement we can make to the initscript to ensure we can
>> talk to the sql server? I realize it might not be local on the box, so we
>> can't just depend on the mysqld service.
>>
>> Note mysqld is a systemd service while mythbackend is a SysV service (init.d
>> script).
>>
>> I'd take a stab at a fix, but would appreciate any guidance on the best
>> direction to head.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Chris:
>
> Any luck on developing something that works here? I've noticed others
> are also having this issue and I'll probably take a look at it this
> weekend, but if you've made a headstart, please let me know.

I poked at it back in April but a mythtv update overwrote my mods, didn't get any response, so I presumed it was just me. My mysqldb is quite large (/var/lib/mysql/mythconverge = 222MB) so I can imagine MySQL might take a few seconds to become ready.

Putting a few more thoughts into it, I don't think this could/should be fixed with initscripts, but rather is a bug in mythbackend which should attempt to connect to the configured db until success, not just fail once and fall over.

From /var/log/boot.log, MySQL is starting before the mythbackend SYSV script, so that's good.

At this point, I'd take hack of a 'sleep 10' delay to the start() section of /etc/init.d/mythbackend and run with it until a real fix is implemented. :-)

Chris

Re: mythbackend fails to start on boot; mysqld not ready [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Chris Schanzle <schanzle@nist.gov> wrote:

> On 05/11/2012 11:38 AM, George Galt wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Chris Schanzle<schanzle@nist.gov>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I would say about 25% of the time, mythbackend doesn't start on my
>>> Fedora 16
>>> box on reboot. From the logs, it appears the local mysqld is not ready
>>> accept connections. Unfortunately, it doesn't try to reconnect and the
>>> result is missed recordings and a non-functional frontend. Restarting
>>> mythbackend (service mythbackend restart) is the band-aid.
>>>
>>> Is there some improvement we can make to the initscript to ensure we can
>>> talk to the sql server? I realize it might not be local on the box, so
>>> we
>>> can't just depend on the mysqld service.
>>>
>>> Note mysqld is a systemd service while mythbackend is a SysV service
>>> (init.d
>>> script).
>>>
>>> I'd take a stab at a fix, but would appreciate any guidance on the best
>>> direction to head.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Chris:
>>
>> Any luck on developing something that works here? I've noticed others
>> are also having this issue and I'll probably take a look at it this
>> weekend, but if you've made a headstart, please let me know.
>>

> I poked at it back in April but a mythtv update overwrote my mods, didn't
> get any response, so I presumed it was just me. My mysqldb is quite large
> (/var/lib/mysql/mythconverge = 222MB) so I can imagine MySQL might take a
> few seconds to become ready.
>
> Putting a few more thoughts into it, I don't think this could/should be
> fixed with initscripts, but rather is a bug in mythbackend which should
> attempt to connect to the configured db until success, not just fail once
> and fall over.
>
> From /var/log/boot.log, MySQL is starting before the mythbackend SYSV
> script, so that's good.
>
> At this point, I'd take hack of a 'sleep 10' delay to the start() section
> of /etc/init.d/mythbackend and run with it until a real fix is implemented.
> :-)
>
> Chris

There was a recent thread on mythtv-users (OP George Galt) where they
"fixed" the mythbackend systemd start script. The RPMforge developer was
going back-and-forth with some other folks about how to write the systemd
file such that mythbackend would start properly. Last I saw, they had a
final version worked out. Maybe AtRPMS could integrate the same systemd
file since init is gone in Fedora 16.

/Brian/
Re: mythbackend fails to start on boot; mysqld not ready [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Brian Long <briandlong@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Chris Schanzle <schanzle@nist.gov> wrote:
>>
>> On 05/11/2012 11:38 AM, George Galt wrote:

>>> Chris:
>>>
>>> Any luck on developing something that works here?  I've noticed others
>>> are also having this issue and I'll probably take a look at it this
>>> weekend, but if you've made a headstart, please let me know.
>>

>> I poked at it back in April but a mythtv update overwrote my mods, didn't
>> get any response, so I presumed it was just me.  My mysqldb is quite large
>> (/var/lib/mysql/mythconverge = 222MB) so I can imagine MySQL might take a
>> few seconds to become ready.
>>
>> Putting a few more thoughts into it, I don't think this could/should be
>> fixed with initscripts, but rather is a bug in mythbackend which should
>> attempt to connect to the configured db until success, not just fail once
>> and fall over.
>>
>> From /var/log/boot.log, MySQL is starting before the mythbackend SYSV
>> script, so that's good.
>>
>> At this point, I'd take hack of a 'sleep 10' delay to the start() section
>> of /etc/init.d/mythbackend and run with it until a real fix is implemented.
>>  :-)
>>
>> Chris
>

> There was a recent thread on mythtv-users (OP George Galt) where they
> "fixed" the mythbackend systemd start script.  The RPMforge developer was
> going back-and-forth with some other folks about how to write the systemd
> file such that mythbackend would start properly.  Last I saw, they had a
> final version worked out.  Maybe AtRPMS could integrate the same systemd
> file since init is gone in Fedora 16.

> /Brian/

One thing to be aware of with that script is that it runs the backend
as the "mythtv" user. You may need to change the username to whatever
user is on your system, but also, you have to make sure that you
properly permission the appropriate directories. I believe they are:
/var/log/mythtv/
/var/lib/mythtv/
and whatever directories you use to store your videos and recordings in

Also, make sure you include the user that your run the backend as (in
my case "mythtv") in the "audio" and "video" groups. The commands
are:
usermod -a -G audio mythtv
usermod -a -G video mythtv

George

Re: mythbackend fails to start on boot; mysqld not ready [ In reply to ]
On 05/17/2012 02:35 PM, George Galt wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Brian Long<briandlong@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I poked at it back in April but a mythtv update overwrote my mods, didn't
>>> get any response, so I presumed it was just me. My mysqldb is quite large
>>> (/var/lib/mysql/mythconverge = 222MB) so I can imagine MySQL might take a
>>> few seconds to become ready.
>>>
>>> Putting a few more thoughts into it, I don't think this could/should be
>>> fixed with initscripts, but rather is a bug in mythbackend which should
>>> attempt to connect to the configured db until success, not just fail once
>>> and fall over.
>>>
>>> From /var/log/boot.log, MySQL is starting before the mythbackend SYSV
>>> script, so that's good.
>>>
>>> At this point, I'd take hack of a 'sleep 10' delay to the start() section
>>> of /etc/init.d/mythbackend and run with it until a real fix is implemented.
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> There was a recent thread on mythtv-users (OP George Galt) where they
>> "fixed" the mythbackend systemd start script. The RPMforge developer was
>> going back-and-forth with some other folks about how to write the systemd
>> file such that mythbackend would start properly. Last I saw, they had a
>> final version worked out. Maybe AtRPMS could integrate the same systemd
>> file since init is gone in Fedora 16.
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/517350
>>
>> /Brian/
> One thing to be aware of with that script is that it runs the backend
> as the "mythtv" user. You may need to change the username to whatever
> user is on your system, but also, you have to make sure that you
> properly permission the appropriate directories. I believe they are:
> /var/log/mythtv/
> /var/lib/mythtv/
> and whatever directories you use to store your videos and recordings in
>
> Also, make sure you include the user that your run the backend as (in
> my case "mythtv") in the "audio" and "video" groups. The commands
> are:
> usermod -a -G audio mythtv
> usermod -a -G video mythtv
>
> George

Most excellent, working very nicely here; 5 or 6 reboots and mythbackend started every time (though firewire control of my motorola/verizon box worked 50%, that's not unusual). A few notes:

turn off/disable init.d script before copying the systemd script into place, otherwise systemd steps in and ignores the init.d script.

chkconfig mythbackend stop
chkconfig mythbackend off

echo 'd /var/run/mythtv 0755 mythtv mythtv -' > /etc/tmpfiles.d/mythbackend.conf

# mythbackend *was* starting as root since my transition to Fedora 16.
# make sure these are owned by the mythtv user, plus all recordings directories
$ ls -ld /var/l*/mythtv /video2 /2012 /local/video
drwxr-xr-x. 11 mythtv mythtv 4096 Apr 30 08:37 /var/lib/mythtv
drwxr-xr-x. 2 mythtv mythtv 73728 May 18 22:07 /var/log/mythtv

# did not test not adding to audio/video groups
usermod -a -G audio mythtv
usermod -a -G video mythtv

cat > /lib/systemd/system/mythbackend.service << \EOF
# file located at /lib/systemd/system/mythbackend.service
# use "systemctl enable mythtbackend.service to load
# based on a template from RPMFusion and R.G. Newbury from this thread:
# http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/516650?search_string=mythbackend.service%20;#516650

[Unit]
Description=MythTV backend service

After=network.target mysqld.service
# for mythweb: not necessary so 'wants' not 'after'
Wants=httpd.service

[Service]
Type=simple

Environment=MYTHTV_HOME=/var/lib/mythtv
Environment=MYTHCONFDIR=/var/lib/mythtv
Environment=HOME=/var/lib/mythtv
# NOTE: using the "mythtv" user, NOT root.
User=mythtv

# NOTE: if you have other switches you want, insert them below. This is set to use log files in
# /var/log/mythtv. Make sure that the location of the HOME/MYTHCONFIG files, logs and the pid file
# are writeable by the user designated above.
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --logpath /var/log/mythtv

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
EOF

systemctl enable mythtbackend.service
# test before rebooting -- check logs.
install -d --owner mythtv --mode 755 /var/run/mythtv
systemctl start mythbackend.service

reboot/reboot/reboot/reboot!

Hmm, /run/mythtv is empty. Makes me wonder if the tmpfiles.d addition is required.

Big step forward...Thanks!

Re: mythbackend fails to start on boot; mysqld not ready [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Chris Schanzle <schanzle@nist.gov> wrote:
> [...]
> Environment=MYTHCONFDIR=/var/lib/mythtv
> Environment=HOME=/var/lib/mythtv
> # NOTE: using the "mythtv" user, NOT root.
> User=mythtv
>
> # NOTE: if you have other switches you want, insert them below. This is set
> to use log files in
> # /var/log/mythtv. Make sure that the location of the HOME/MYTHCONFIG files,
> logs and the pid file
> # are writeable by the user designated above.
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --logpath /var/log/mythtv
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
> EOF
>
> systemctl enable mythtbackend.service
> # test before rebooting -- check logs.
> install -d --owner mythtv --mode 755 /var/run/mythtv
> systemctl start mythbackend.service
>
> reboot/reboot/reboot/reboot!
>
> Hmm, /run/mythtv is empty.  Makes me wonder if the tmpfiles.d addition is

Chris:

Yes, I forgot to mention that one needs to turn off init.d -- sorry.

I have not done the tempfiles.d addition and it does not appear to be
an issue; however, this could simply be an application of Wile E.
Coyote physics, where it hasn't failed because I didn't know it was
there to fail.

George