What would a best practice of 'informing' the proxyhost about that it is being proxied and it should send the defaulthost hostname?

Should I for instance set headers, and in the proxied website should I check on such headers? (Btw this is php). Or are there other things available like HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????F?V?7V'67&?&R?R???âW6W'2?V?7V'67&?&T?GGB?6?R??&p?f?"FF?F????6????G2?R???âW6W'2?V??GGB?6?R??&p
Re: working with a reverse proxy [ In reply to ]

can try https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypreservehost

RE: working with a reverse proxy [ In reply to ]

> > What would a best practice of 'informing' the proxyhost about that it is
> being proxied and it should send the defaulthost hostname?
>
> can try
> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypreservehost

Proxy only works when I am having ProxyPreserveHost Off, I can't change that.

Re: working with a reverse proxy [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 5:10?PM Marc <Marc@f1-outsourcing.eu> wrote:

> > > What would a best practice of 'informing' the proxyhost about that it
> is
> > being proxied and it should send the defaulthost hostname?
> >
> > can try
> > https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypreservehost
>
> Proxy only works when I am having ProxyPreserveHost Off, I can't change
> that.

What happens when you use ProxyPreserveHost, exactly?
RE: working with a reverse proxy [ In reply to ]

> > > What would a best practice of 'informing' the proxyhost about that
> it is
> > being proxied and it should send the defaulthost hostname?
> >
> > can try
> >
> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypreservehost
>
> Proxy only works when I am having ProxyPreserveHost Off, I can't
> change that.
>

> What happens when you use ProxyPreserveHost, exactly?

I am getting a 'Content Encoding Error'. I think this proxied web application by default is doing some routing based on host names.
Re: working with a reverse proxy [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 9:49?PM Marc <Marc@f1-outsourcing.eu> wrote:

> Should I for instance set headers, and in the proxied website should I check on such headers? (Btw this is php). Or are there other things available like HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR

mod_proxy should add the "X-Forwarded-Host" header (i.e.
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_HOST in cgi/php) with the value of defaulthost, when
forwarding the request to proxyhost. This is the default behaviour,
unless "ProxyAddHeaders off".

Regards;
Yann.

RE: working with a reverse proxy [ In reply to ]
> > Should I for instance set headers, and in the proxied website should I
> check on such headers? (Btw this is php). Or are there other things
> available like HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR
>
> mod_proxy should add the "X-Forwarded-Host" header (i.e.
> HTTP_X_FORWARDED_HOST in cgi/php) with the value of defaulthost, when
> forwarding the request to proxyhost. This is the default behaviour,
> unless "ProxyAddHeaders off".

Thanks Yann! I was looking indeed at the wrong headers, these two are having the correct value.

[HTTP_X_FORWARDED_SERVER]
[HTTP_X_FORWARDED_HOST]