Mailing List Archive

ubuntu apache2
Hi.

Trying to set up a test http://1.2.3.4/foo

where I have a laravel/php setup
/var/www/html/foo/foo/public <<<

As far as I can tell, there should be an "alias.conf" -- foo.conf in the
/etc/apache2/conf-availables/alias.conf
/etc/apache2/sites-available/foo

and the base httpd.conf

I think there needs to be "rewrite" in there somewhere as well.

Anyone have a solid example of how this should be put together, the
steps required.

I seem to be getting an index list.

At the same time, once this works, I'm going to also "test/try" to get
a javascript app running that can be viewed/displayed from the same
test server.

The test server is a digitalocean ubuntu, easily accessible if you
want to look at the dir/tree/files.

thanks

Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 5:16?PM bruce <badouglas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Trying to set up a test http://1.2.3.4/foo
>
> where I have a laravel/php setup
> /var/www/html/foo/foo/public <<<
>
> As far as I can tell, there should be an "alias.conf" -- foo.conf in the
> /etc/apache2/conf-availables/alias.conf
> /etc/apache2/sites-available/foo
>
> and the base httpd.conf
>
> I think there needs to be "rewrite" in there somewhere as well.
>
> Anyone have a solid example of how this should be put together, the
> steps required.
>
> I seem to be getting an index list.
>

> At the same time, once this works, I'm going to also "test/try" to get
> a javascript app running that can be viewed/displayed from the same
> test server.
>
> The test server is a digitalocean ubuntu, easily accessible if you
> want to look at the dir/tree/files.
>
> thanks

All you need is Alias /foo /var/www/html/foo/foo/public in your vhost. Why
do you think you need to use mod_rewrite, as well?

Finally, you'll need to configure httpd to parse php content, see:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HTTPD/PHP-FPM
Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Frank!!

thanks for the reply.

If you don't mind.. here's my setup
ubuntu -- apache2

/etc/apache2/mods-available/alias.conf
Alias /icons/ "/usr/share/apache2/icons/"
#Alias /wave/ "/var/www/html/wave"
Alias /wave/ "/var/www/html/wave/wave/public"

<Directory "/usr/share/apache2/icons">
Options FollowSymlinks
AllowOverride None
Require all granted
</Directory>

ls -al /var/www/html/wave/wave/public
www-data:www-data (775)

ls -al /var/www/html/wave/wave/storage
www-data:www-data (775)

/etc/apache2/sites-available/wave

ls -al /etc/apache2/sites-available
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 516 Nov 2 19:11 wave.conf

cat /etc/apache2/sites-available/wave.conf
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin admin@example.com
ServerName temp
ServerAlias temp
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/wave/wave/public

<Directory /var/www/html/wave/wave/public/>
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
allow from all
Require all granted
</Directory>

LogLevel debug
ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

and then simply run
a2ensite wave.conf
service apache2 reload
systemctl restart apache2

to restart apache...

and the test site
http://161.35.5.174/wave

should appear??

Is there anything else you see that I need to implement?

thanks

Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 5:46?PM bruce <badouglas@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> /etc/apache2/conf-availables/alias.conf
> >> /etc/apache2/sites-available/foo
> >>
> >> and the base httpd.conf
> >>
> >> I think there needs to be "rewrite" in there somewhere as well.
> >>
> >> Anyone have a solid example of how this should be put together, the
> >> steps required.
> >>
> >> I seem to be getting an index list.
> >>

> >> At the same time, once this works, I'm going to also "test/try" to get
> >> a javascript app running that can be viewed/displayed from the same
> >> test server.
> >>
> >> The test server is a digitalocean ubuntu, easily accessible if you
> >> want to look at the dir/tree/files.
> >>
> >> thanks

> > All you need is Alias /foo /var/www/html/foo/foo/public in your vhost.
> Why do you think you need to use mod_rewrite, as well?
> >
> > Finally, you'll need to configure httpd to parse php content, see:

I would recommend you run apachectl -S to verify that:

1) Your vhosts are properly defined
2) Then examine the configuration of each vhost

I would also certainly not use 2.2 authz directives, so I would stop
reading whatever site or howto recommended that.
Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
Thanks..

Tried again. Same results. As far as 2.2 directives vs 2.4.. could you clarify?

Pretty sure this is simple.. but can't see what's missing...

thanks

Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 6:20?PM bruce <badouglas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks..
>
> Tried again. Same results. As far as 2.2 directives vs 2.4.. could you
> clarify?
>
> Pretty sure this is simple.. but can't see what's missing...
>
> thanks
>
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 6:05?PM Frank Gingras <thumbs@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 5:46?PM bruce <badouglas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Frank!!
> >>
> >> thanks for the reply.
> >>
> >> If you don't mind.. here's my setup
> >> ubuntu -- apache2
> >>

> >> /etc/apache2/mods-available/alias.conf
> >> Alias /icons/ "/usr/share/apache2/icons/"
> >> #Alias /wave/ "/var/www/html/wave"
> >> Alias /wave/ "/var/www/html/wave/wave/public"
> >>
> >> <Directory "/usr/share/apache2/icons">
> >> Options FollowSymlinks
> >> AllowOverride None
> >> Require all granted
> >> </Directory>

> >> ls -al /var/www/html/wave/wave/public
> >> www-data:www-data (775)
> >>
> >> ls -al /var/www/html/wave/wave/storage
> >> www-data:www-data (775)
> >>

> >> /etc/apache2/sites-available/wave
> >>

> >> ls -al /etc/apache2/sites-available
> >> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 516 Nov 2 19:11 wave.conf
> >>
> >> cat /etc/apache2/sites-available/wave.conf
> >> <VirtualHost *:80>
> >> ServerAdmin admin@example.com
> >> ServerName temp
> >> ServerAlias temp
> >> DocumentRoot /var/www/html/wave/wave/public
> >>
> >> <Directory /var/www/html/wave/wave/public/>
> >> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
> >> AllowOverride All
> >> Order allow,deny
> >> allow from all
> >> Require all granted
> >> </Directory>
> >>
> >> LogLevel debug
> >> ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
> >> CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
> >> </VirtualHost>

> >> and then simply run
> >> a2ensite wave.conf
> >> service apache2 reload
> >> systemctl restart apache2
> >>
> >> to restart apache...
> >>
> >> and the test site
> >> http://161.35.5.174/wave
> >>
> >> should appear??
> >>
> >> Is there anything else you see that I need to implement?
> >>
> >> thanks

> the

> get

> vhost. Why do you think you need to use mod_rewrite, as well?

> > I would recommend you run apachectl -S to verify that:
> >
> > 1) Your vhosts are properly defined
> > 2) Then examine the configuration of each vhost
> >
> > I would also certainly not use 2.2 authz directives, so I would stop
> reading whatever site or howto recommended that.

The Order/Allow/Deny directives should not be used any more, and you should
unload the mod_access_compat module as well.

As for seeing the directory listing, you are probably missing the
DirectoryIndex directive.
Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
arrggg..

Ok. something's going on that I'm missing..

I changed the wave.conf in the /etc/apache/sites-available
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled

I actually renamed the file to wave.conf1
I did the a2dissites *.conf as well as stopped/restarted apache2

I then did
apachectl -S
AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive
globally to suppress this message
VirtualHost configuration:
*:80 127.0.1.1 (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/wave.conf:1)
ServerRoot: "/etc/apache2"
Main DocumentRoot: "/var/www/html" <<<<<<<< what the heck!!!
Main ErrorLog: "/var/log/apache2/error.log"
Mutex mpm-accept: using_defaults
Mutex watchdog-callback: using_defaults
Mutex rewrite-map: using_defaults
Mutex default: dir="/var/run/apache2/" mechanism=default
PidFile: "/var/run/apache2/apache2.pid"
Define: DUMP_VHOSTS
Define: DUMP_RUN_CFG
User: name="www-data" id=33
Group: name="www-data" id=33

Main DocumentRoot: "/var/www/html" <<<<<<<< what the heck!!!
and I get this as the default... where/why is this set?

did a "find" and only saw it in the /etc/apache/* files I had
renamed.. there are no *.conf for the testing... (for now..)

any thoughts/ideas!

thanks

Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 8:41?PM bruce <badouglas@gmail.com> wrote:

> arrggg..
>
> Ok. something's going on that I'm missing..
>
> I changed the wave.conf in the /etc/apache/sites-available
> /etc/apache2/sites-enabled
>
> I actually renamed the file to wave.conf1
> I did the a2dissites *.conf as well as stopped/restarted apache2
>
> I then did
> apachectl -S
> AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
> qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive
> globally to suppress this message
> VirtualHost configuration:
> *:80 127.0.1.1 (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/wave.conf:1)
> ServerRoot: "/etc/apache2"
> Main DocumentRoot: "/var/www/html" <<<<<<<< what the heck!!!
> Main ErrorLog: "/var/log/apache2/error.log"
> Mutex mpm-accept: using_defaults
> Mutex watchdog-callback: using_defaults
> Mutex rewrite-map: using_defaults
> Mutex default: dir="/var/run/apache2/" mechanism=default
> PidFile: "/var/run/apache2/apache2.pid"
> Define: DUMP_VHOSTS
> Define: DUMP_RUN_CFG
> User: name="www-data" id=33
> Group: name="www-data" id=33
>
> Main DocumentRoot: "/var/www/html" <<<<<<<< what the heck!!!
> and I get this as the default... where/why is this set?
>
> did a "find" and only saw it in the /etc/apache/* files I had
> renamed.. there are no *.conf for the testing... (for now..)
>
> any thoughts/ideas!
>

> thanks
>
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 6:24?PM Frank Gingras <thumbs@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 6:20?PM bruce <badouglas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks..
> >>
> >> Tried again. Same results. As far as 2.2 directives vs 2.4.. could you
> clarify?
> >>
> >> Pretty sure this is simple.. but can't see what's missing...
> >>
> >> thanks

> in the

> the

> to get
> same

> vhost. Why do you think you need to use mod_rewrite, as well?

> reading whatever site or howto recommended that.

> > The Order/Allow/Deny directives should not be used any more, and you
> should unload the mod_access_compat module as well.
> >
> > As for seeing the directory listing, you are probably missing the
> DirectoryIndex directive.

Since you have a single vhost on port 80, every single http:// request will
use it. The main DocumentRoot does not apply, unless you use another port
with your request, i.e. 443.

Next, edit your existing vhost, and make sure that the ServerName /
DocumentRoot is set properly, as well as the DirectoryIndex / Alias / other
directives you need.
Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
I wasnt sure if servername is optional, or used. Since I have no
domain/server, I'm assuming I can the use the test ipAddress..

still testing!

thanks

Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 9:25?PM bruce <badouglas@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wasnt sure if servername is optional, or used. Since I have no
> domain/server, I'm assuming I can the use the test ipAddress..
>
> still testing!
>
> thanks
>
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 8:46?PM Frank Gingras <thumbs@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 8:41?PM bruce <badouglas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> arrggg..
> >>
> >> Ok. something's going on that I'm missing..
> >>
> >> I changed the wave.conf in the /etc/apache/sites-available
> >> /etc/apache2/sites-enabled
> >>
> >> I actually renamed the file to wave.conf1
> >> I did the a2dissites *.conf as well as stopped/restarted apache2
> >>
> >> I then did
> >> apachectl -S
> >> AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
> >> qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive
> >> globally to suppress this message
> >> VirtualHost configuration:
> >> *:80 127.0.1.1
> (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/wave.conf:1)
> >> ServerRoot: "/etc/apache2"
> >> Main DocumentRoot: "/var/www/html" <<<<<<<< what the heck!!!
> >> Main ErrorLog: "/var/log/apache2/error.log"
> >> Mutex mpm-accept: using_defaults
> >> Mutex watchdog-callback: using_defaults
> >> Mutex rewrite-map: using_defaults
> >> Mutex default: dir="/var/run/apache2/" mechanism=default
> >> PidFile: "/var/run/apache2/apache2.pid"
> >> Define: DUMP_VHOSTS
> >> Define: DUMP_RUN_CFG
> >> User: name="www-data" id=33
> >> Group: name="www-data" id=33
> >>
> >> Main DocumentRoot: "/var/www/html" <<<<<<<< what the heck!!!
> >> and I get this as the default... where/why is this set?
> >>
> >> did a "find" and only saw it in the /etc/apache/* files I had
> >> renamed.. there are no *.conf for the testing... (for now..)
> >>
> >> any thoughts/ideas!
> >>

> >> thanks

> you clarify?

> foo.conf in the

> together, the

> "test/try" to get
> same

> you

> vhost. Why do you think you need to use mod_rewrite, as well?

> see:

> stop reading whatever site or howto recommended that.

> should unload the mod_access_compat module as well.

> DirectoryIndex directive.

> > Since you have a single vhost on port 80, every single http:// request
> will use it. The main DocumentRoot does not apply, unless you use another
> port with your request, i.e. 443.
> >
> > Next, edit your existing vhost, and make sure that the ServerName /
> DocumentRoot is set properly, as well as the DirectoryIndex / Alias / other
> directives you need.

When unsure, always set the ServerName. It would break name-based vhosts
when you run into duplicates.
Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
Weird....

Seems the "DocumentRoot" as displayed in
apachectl -S
AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive
globally to suppress this message
VirtualHost configuration:
*:80 161.35.5.174 (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/wave.conf:1)
ServerRoot: "/etc/apache2"
Main DocumentRoot: "/var/www/html" <<<<<

never gets changed regardless of what I do with "wave.conf" in the
/etc/apache2/sites-available/wave.conf

Researching the 'net.. seems others have experienced the same issue...

just weird..

Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 10:37?PM bruce <badouglas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Weird....
>
> Seems the "DocumentRoot" as displayed in
> apachectl -S
> AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
> qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive
> globally to suppress this message
> VirtualHost configuration:
> *:80 161.35.5.174
> (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/wave.conf:1)
> ServerRoot: "/etc/apache2"
> Main DocumentRoot: "/var/www/html" <<<<<
>
> never gets changed regardless of what I do with "wave.conf" in the
> /etc/apache2/sites-available/wave.conf
>
> Researching the 'net.. seems others have experienced the same issue...
>
> just weird..
>

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 9:43?PM Frank Gingras <thumbs@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 9:25?PM bruce <badouglas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I wasnt sure if servername is optional, or used. Since I have no
> >> domain/server, I'm assuming I can the use the test ipAddress..
> >>
> >> still testing!
> >>
> >> thanks

> directive
> (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/wave.conf:1)

> could you clarify?

> foo.conf in the

> well.

> together, the

> "test/try" to get
> the same

> if you

> users-help@httpd.apache.org

> your vhost. Why do you think you need to use mod_rewrite, as well?

> content, see:

> stop reading whatever site or howto recommended that.

> you should unload the mod_access_compat module as well.

> DirectoryIndex directive.

> request will use it. The main DocumentRoot does not apply, unless you use
> another port with your request, i.e. 443.

> DocumentRoot is set properly, as well as the DirectoryIndex / Alias / other
> directives you need.

> > When unsure, always set the ServerName. It would break name-based vhosts
> when you run into duplicates.

It will not; it's inherited from the Server context, and if not present
there, uses the built-in default. It's not worth focusing on.

Again, edit your vhost directly, and read about the context for directives.
Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
hi..

/etc/apache2# cat /etc/apache2/sites-available/wave.conf
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin foo@yahoo.com
ServerName 161.35.5.174
ServerAlias temp
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/wave/wave/public

DirectoryIndex index.php /public/index.php

<Directory /var/www/html/wave/wave/public>
#Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
Options +FollowSymlinks
AllowOverride All
#Order allow,deny
#allow from all
Require all granted
</Directory>

LogLevel debug
ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

is the only vhost file

cat /etc/apache2/mods-available/alias.conf
Alias /icons/ "/usr/share/apache2/icons/"
Alias /wave/ "/var/www/html/wave"
#Alias /wave/ "/var/www/html/wave/public"

<Directory "/usr/share/apache2/icons">
Options FollowSymlinks
AllowOverride None
Require all granted
</Directory>

is where I was trying to test the alias...

systemctl restart apache2 --- runs ok...

and apachectl -S
still gives the default DocumentRoot !!

I'm not seeing my errors..

Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
hi...

ok...
http://157.245.251.134
--generates the default apache page..

http://157.245.251.134/wave/
--generates a 403 forbidden...
from nginx!!! ---- ok.. looks like nginx is/might be interfering
with this... makes sense... another person had been modifying some
things and was going to use docker -- which might have nginx as
well...

hmm.. so how to get rid of this..

I did a stop nginx.. it's not in the ps/process tbl...

so why is it somehow showing up in the url traffic..

Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
ok.. weird...

appears might have been a timing thing.. i get errs..
but they're all apache errs..

except -- now shows nginx... this is weird!

Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.

Q: What's wrong with top-posting?

A: Top-posting.

On 2023-11-12 00:35, bruce wrote:
> ok.. weird...

A couple of questions. If you have access to and root privileges on
your server, what system are you running? (# cat /etc/os-release) - I
think you said Ubuntu. Maybe # apache2 -v would be useful as you mention
digitalocean -- have you asked them if they installed a differing
compilation or .conf?

> appears might have been a timing thing..

"timing thing" -- how do you define this? (no answer required if you
don't have a relevant IT answer)

i get errs..
> but they're all apache errs..
>
> except -- now shows nginx... this is weird!

What does # nginx -T show? (please don't post it here, this is not an
nginx list). If it shows anything, you may well not yet have an Apache
problem. You will have to be certain that nginx is passing the required
and properly formatted request to apache/httpd.

[.assuming nginx is properly configured for your specific case, and
assuming that the nginx error.log shows nothing relevant, although it
might give you something in access.log] have you reviewed and analysed
"but they're *all* apache errs" one by one and tried to trace and
correct them?

Good luck,
Paul

Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
> Date: Sunday, November 12, 2023 00:09:54 -0500
> From: bruce <badouglas@gmail.com>
>
> ok...
> http://157.245.251.134
> --generates the default apache page..
>

> http://157.245.251.134/wave/
> --generates a 403 forbidden...
> from nginx!!! ---- ok.. looks like nginx is/might be interfering
> with this... makes sense... another person had been modifying some
> things and was going to use docker -- which might have nginx as
> well...
>
> hmm.. so how to get rid of this..
>
> I did a stop nginx.. it's not in the ps/process tbl...
>
> so why is it somehow showing up in the url traffic..

Well, while it may be displaying as a "default apache page", that's
really being served from your nginx (Server: nginx/1.24.0 (Ubuntu))
server.

telnet 157.245.251.134 80
Trying 157.245.251.134...
Connected to 157.245.251.134.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx/1.24.0 (Ubuntu)
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 17:30:59 GMT
<title>Apache2 Ubuntu Default Page: It works</title>

So, it would appear that your httpd server/port 80 setup(s) need to
be "stabilized" so that it's clear what you have answering on port 80.

Use the ps command (man ps) to see the name of the program that is
responding on a port.

[.please do not top post - it makes reading the exchanges
unnecessarily difficult.]

Re: ubuntu apache2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Paul!

Thanks for the reply!!

I'm answering below.... (I've also resubmitted a post with a bit more data)

A couple of questions. If you have access to and root privileges on
your server, what system are you running? (# cat /etc/os-release) - I
think you said Ubuntu. Maybe # apache2 -v would be useful as you mention
digitalocean -- have you asked them if they installed a differing
compilation or .conf?

The apache version
-->>> Apache/2.4.57 (Ubuntu)

I completely "stopped" nginx for the testing.. for now. If the other
person gets back to me, we'll discuss this+Docker (waayy out of my
league for now)
So, for now, there is not "nginx" process running in the proc tbl

Everything I'm running into, is a pure function of Apache2/laravel and
setting the overall environment up correctly to have laravel apps in
subdirs, as well as the correct "Alias" designation to map to the
associated laravel app.

This of course requires changing the alias.conf file, as well as the
/etc/apache2/sites-available/foo1.conf foo2.conf for the VirtualHost
attributes

thanks

-bruce
--and if anyone wants to climb in the Ubuntu instance, I'm more than
willing to give complete access. Easy enough to drop/recreate!

thanks