Mailing List Archive

Running on Win 10
Hello users of Apache2.4.

I have been a long time user of the Apache servers installed on various
versions of Microsoft Windows.The main purpose of using Apache is to
develop my websites on a live server on my computer before releasing the
documents to the WWW.It saves a lot of time and headaches.

Every time I try and upgrade the windows operating system and re-install
Apache I run into major roadblocks.

I have spent two days searching Google, and the Apache website for
clues, I found a lot, but none have resolved the problems.

1.How do I get Windows 10 to start Apache at boot up?

2.How do I get Apache to load and index my folders and html documents?

I used to be able to perform the above function in Windows 7, but now I
am stumped.

This is what I have performed:

1.I edited the hosts file to include 127.0.0.1

2.I downloaded the Apache zip file and extracted to C:\Apache24\bin

3.I ran httpd.exe.A command box opened.

4.In my Firefox browser I entered in the URL field:localhost.I received
the Apache welcome page.It works!

5.In my Firefox browser I entered in the URL field:127.0.0.1.I received
the Apache welcome page.It works!

6.I cannot figure out how to get Apache to look at and index the files
in the following folder (an internal hard drive.) D:\WebSites\JazzClub.com

Can anyone provide a little help here?

General background information:I have been around for a while; I was a
member of ARPANET experimenting with digital communications before DNS
made life easier.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Gordon

--
sig Photography by Gordon

Photography by Gordon
903 244-3644

Artist Photo Website <https://3-michael-gordon.pixels.com/>

Channel Cities Jazz Club <https://channelcitiesjazzclub.com/>

Re: Running on Win 10 [ In reply to ]
On 12/06/2021 22:19, Michael wrote:
> Hello users of Apache2.4.
>
> I have been a long time user of the Apache servers installed on
> various versions of Microsoft Windows.The main purpose of using Apache
> is to develop my websites on a live server on my computer before
> releasing the documents to the WWW.It saves a lot of time and headaches.
>
> Every time I try and upgrade the windows operating system and
> re-install Apache I run into major roadblocks.
>
> I have spent two days searching Google, and the Apache website for
> clues, I found a lot, but none have resolved the problems.
>
> 1.How do I get Windows 10 to start Apache at boot up?

Assuming you have downloaded the Windows binaries from
<https://www.apachelounge.com/download/> then when you unzip the
downloaded files, you'll find a bin folder.  change to the bin folder
and then run this command at the cmd prompt:

> httpd.exe -k install
This cmd will install a service that will do what you want to do.

> 2.How do I get Apache to load and index my folders and html documents?

The index.html file is loaded depending on your apache configuration.
My Windows 10 configuration contains this:

> <IfModule dir_module>
>     DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.shtml default.html main.html
> </IfModule>

The order is as shown above but you can place index.html before
index.php file to make sure index.html file is loaded always, assuming
the file exists in the folder.

> I used to be able to perform the above function in Windows 7, but now
> I am stumped.
>
> This is what I have performed:
>
> 1.I edited the hosts file to include 127.0.0.1

or you can just type localhost in the browser address bar and it will do
the same thing.

> 2.I downloaded the Apache zip file and extracted to C:\Apache24\bin

Good.

> 3.I ran httpd.exe.A command box opened.
>
> 4.In my Firefox browser I entered in the URL field:localhost.I
> received the Apache welcome page.It works!
>
> 5.In my Firefox browser I entered in the URL field:127.0.0.1.I
> received the Apache welcome page.It works!
>
> 6.I cannot figure out how to get Apache to look at and index the files
> in the following folder (an internal hard drive.)
> D:\WebSites\JazzClub.com

First make sure that the index file is located at the root of the folder
called: JazzClub.com

Then make sure  the DocumentRoot looks like this:

DocumentRoot "D:\Websites\JazzClub.com"

> Can anyone provide a little help here?

Hopefully the above changes will resolve most of the problems.

--

With over 1.3 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re: Running on Win 10 [ In reply to ]
> Hello Good Guy,
>

> Now it works and indexes my html files so I can pick and choose as
> needed to edit.
>
> Now that it works, does this mean when I reboot the computer Apache
> Server will load and remain in idle until I call for it to process a
> document?

It does work on my Windows 10 machine.

One more thing, when you reply to these lists, please make sure you are
replying to the list direct and not to the person responding to you.
This way other users on the list can also see what you have done and
what works and what doesn't work.

Also, some users don't check their email accounts regularly. Well I
don't because I keep list email separate from the work email so the list
email takes second priority and sometimes goes for a week before I check
again.  We have Euro 2020 just started so Europeans are busy watching
their teams taking part in the soccer tournament.

--

With over 1.3 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re: Running on Win 10 [ In reply to ]
Hello Michael,

first, you should not run httpd.exe on command window.
It give the XAMPP Apache and friends package, which is
made for using Apache 24, MySQL, PHP, Perl, Tomcat and
Mercurial E-Mail Server, and File-Zilla FTP-Server one
in one.

Jens

Re: Re: Running on Win 10 [ In reply to ]
Good Guy,

Thanks.

It has been way too long since I used "lists" and overlooked the "Reply
to List" option in Thunderbird.

One other item has just surfaced.
The SSI includes that worked before and still so on the commercial
servers no longer are inserted into the HTML document.

I checked all around and my config file has include enabled.
#LoadModule imagemap_module modules/mod_imagemap.so
LoadModule include_module modules/mod_include.so
#LoadModule info_module modules/mod_info.so

A snippet from the HTML document:
<!--#include file= "HorizNavList.txt" -->

Any suggestions where to look?

Have a great weekend where ever you are,

Michael

Re: Re: Running on Win 10 [ In reply to ]
Guys,

I finally got the includes figured out.

I had to add: Options +Includes

Thanks for being here as a resource of support,

Michael