Mailing List Archive

Transaction/request token
Greetings,

On Ubuntu 20.04, apache version 2.4.29.

I did obvious google searches, but may be I am missing right search
terms and hence request for the help.

We have bunch of services on back end servers and we use Apache proxy
pass and related stuff. This all works perfectly and as documented.

Often times we encounter a challenge of tracing the request to end
server as there are multiple requests coming in to apache and they are
all distributed to backend server which in turn can make calls to other
servers. Is it possible to add some sort of transaction token as a
header when we call proxy pass. We can log the headers at other end,
carry it forward as needed. This will help us to collate the data and
quickly figure out what we served for which request.

Essentially, I am looking for adding a auto generated unique id to
headers when proxy pass makes the call to backend. We can log the header
in our logs or carry it further down as needed so that we can trace the
flow end to end.

Is this possible? If so, can you please help me by pointing out the
documentation or steps.

Regards,

Niranjan

Re: Transaction/request token [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 3:30 PM Niranjan Rao <nhrdls@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Ubuntu 20.04, apache version 2.4.29.
>

> I did obvious google searches, but may be I am missing right search
> terms and hence request for the help.
>

> We have bunch of services on back end servers and we use Apache proxy
> pass and related stuff. This all works perfectly and as documented.
>

> Often times we encounter a challenge of tracing the request to end
> server as there are multiple requests coming in to apache and they are
> all distributed to backend server which in turn can make calls to other
> servers. Is it possible to add some sort of transaction token as a
> header when we call proxy pass. We can log the headers at other end,
> carry it forward as needed. This will help us to collate the data and
> quickly figure out what we served for which request.
>
> Essentially, I am looking for adding a auto generated unique id to
> headers when proxy pass makes the call to backend. We can log the header
> in our logs or carry it further down as needed so that we can trace the
> flow end to end.
>

> Is this possible? If so, can you please help me by pointing out the
> documentation or steps.
You can load mod_uniqueid and copy the UNIQUE_ID environment variable
to a request header, e.g.
RequestHeader set Request-ID %{UNIQUE_ID}e

You can add it to your httpd logs w/ the same syntax in LogFormat

> Regards,
>

> Niranjan

Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

RE: Transaction/request token [ In reply to ]
One very simple idea is just use an epoch timestamp as a tracking, correlation header? Header set x-correlation-header "%t" (or RequestHeader)

x-correlation-header t=1602793505297786

EXTERNAL EMAIL : The sender of this email is external to 3DS. Be wary of the content and do not open unexpected attachments or links. Original email starts after the REPORT SPAM banner

REPORT THIS EMAIL AS SPAM : Click Here. https://spam-report.3ds.com/?linktext=https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/Kl313CBVFcjGX2PQPOmvUmGqEHcKtgpy7pLO2-mgTeTLxn36u_T0IkJZzMV5keOOD_PgibGlcTPsVggzUgwWUw== (no login or additional action will be requested).

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 3:30 PM Niranjan Rao <nhrdls@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Ubuntu 20.04, apache version 2.4.29.
>

> I did obvious google searches, but may be I am missing right search
> terms and hence request for the help.
>

> We have bunch of services on back end servers and we use Apache proxy
> pass and related stuff. This all works perfectly and as documented.
>

> Often times we encounter a challenge of tracing the request to end
> server as there are multiple requests coming in to apache and they are
> all distributed to backend server which in turn can make calls to
> other servers. Is it possible to add some sort of transaction token as
> a header when we call proxy pass. We can log the headers at other end,
> carry it forward as needed. This will help us to collate the data and
> quickly figure out what we served for which request.
>
> Essentially, I am looking for adding a auto generated unique id to
> headers when proxy pass makes the call to backend. We can log the
> header in our logs or carry it further down as needed so that we can
> trace the flow end to end.
>

> Is this possible? If so, can you please help me by pointing out the
> documentation or steps.
You can load mod_uniqueid and copy the UNIQUE_ID environment variable to a request header, e.g.
RequestHeader set Request-ID %{UNIQUE_ID}e

You can add it to your httpd logs w/ the same syntax in LogFormat

> Regards,
>

> Niranjan

Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com