server is running Debian and I installed Apache using Apt. I have 4
domains going to my machine and I set them up using Name-based Virtual
Hosts. Everything worked fine until I put the server behind my router.
The router is a linksys cheapo model. I have all traffic for port 80
going to the Apache server but it has stopped forwarding correctly.
Does anyone know of any resources for changing my apache config or
updating my routing tables?

Thanks.

Re: Apache behind a router? [ In reply to ]
You'll need to set up your virtual hosts to accommodate the new internal IP
addresses your router is serving the machines internally (unless you still
have your server set up with a static IP and the router is just letting it
pass through).

-Darrel

on 2/27/02 1:19 PM, Sterling Anderson at sterling@sterlinganderson.net

RE: Apache behind a router? [ In reply to ]
Hmm, not exactly sure what you mean. I have my routing set up with
Forwarding. If I use "NameVirtualHost [RouterIP]" it does nothing new.
If I use "NameVirtualHost [INTERNALIP]" it says this:

[Wed Feb 27 13:56:38 2002] [warn] VirtualHost WEBSITE1.NET:80 overlaps
with VirtualHost WEBSITE2.NET:80, the first has precedence, perhaps you
need a NameVirtualHost directive
[Wed Feb 27 13:56:39 2002] [warn] NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.103:80 has
no VirtualHosts

The first warning is repeated 3 more times, once for each of the other
domains. My virtual host config looks like this:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.103

<VirtualHost WEBSITE1.net>
ServerName WEBSITE1.net
ServerAlias www.WEBSITE1.net
DocumentRoot /var/www/WEBSITE1
</VirtualHost>

The "<VirtualHost>...</VirtualHost> is repeated for the other 3 domains.

RE: Apache behind a router? [ In reply to ]
Those linksys are not to configurable, kinda the fisher-price of
routers...

If you have static IPs assigned to your domains, then you'll need to map
those through the router. But, in order to do that I believe you would
have to turn off NAT -- maybe not completely but at least for those
specific IPs (this is dependent on whether or not your router is
configurable like that)

Otherwise, yeah like he said change your virtual host IPs to accommodate
your internal IPs -- you will still have to create static IPs and map
port 80 to those IPs in the router configuration... But, LInksys makes
this easy enough...

Dan