Sorry if my question is too stupid.
I would like to know if there is a minimal chance (or
even a real way) that Apache would run without TCP/IP
installed in the machine, in case to have the server
running only locally, just to serve some appliction.
Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.
Matheus Agostini.

Re: Run Apache without TCP/IP? [ In reply to ]
HTTP uses TCP/IP. There's no way around it, except to write a different
protocol.

However, if you're only trying to make sure no other machine can
connect, this can be achieved simply, even using TCP/IP. Use the Listen
directive to explicitly listen to localhost (127.0.0.1):

Listen 127.0.0.1:80
ServerName localhost

This is your loopback address - if you then open '127.0.0.1' or
'localhost' in your broswer, you should be able to connect to the
server. Noone else will be able to connect, because if they try to reach
'localhost', they'll be looking at their own machine.

--
Pete Nelson, Web Developer
<pete.nelson@ci.stpaul.mn.us>

>>> tetekobr@yahoo.com.br 02/26/02 07:48AM >>>
Hi everybody, im a newby here.
Sorry if my question is too stupid.
I would like to know if there is a minimal chance (or
even a real way) that Apache would run without TCP/IP
installed in the machine, in case to have the server
running only locally, just to serve some appliction.
Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.
Matheus Agostini.

Yahoo! Empregos
O trabalho dos seus sonhos pode estar aqui. Cadastre-se hoje mesmo no
Yahoo! Empregos e tenha acesso a milhares de vagas abertas!
http://br.empregos.yahoo.com/

Re: Run Apache without TCP/IP? [ In reply to ]
> HTTP uses TCP/IP. There's no way around it, except to write a different
> protocol.

Just to nickpick :) TCP is just the transport layer. It is possible to run
HTTP over ATM for example, I remember some university group doing that with
Apache like 3 or four years ago.

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/software/whitepapers/atm.html