Mailing List Archive

Virtial Hosting
I have 2 domains setup with dyndns.org. Current to domian 1 is going to port
8080 and domain2 is going to port 8081. I am running a linux firewall using
ipchains. Port 8080 is fowarded to my webserver at port 80 and port 8081 is
foward as port 8081 to the webserver. My virtual hosts looks like this for my
troubled website. I sent the second domain to 8081 because i could not get the
virtual hosting to work to start with.

<VirtualHost _default_:8081 >
ServerAdmin webmaster@elitegamerz.org
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/games
ServerName web.elitegamez.org:8081

<Directory /var/www/html/games>
Options Indexes
Allow From All
</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost mail.elitegamerz.org >
ServerAdmin webmaster@elitegamerz.org
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/tn
ServerName mail.elitegamez.org

<Directory /var/www/html/tn>
Options Indexes
Allow From All
</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

Now if i got to any address on port 8081 i get the _default profile. If i got
to mail.elitegamerz.org I get the default profile. If I remove the _default i
get my server deafult for every site i try to hit on mer server no matter what
port. Is it possible to do what i want to do? I want all the sites working on
1 port and be able to virtual something.domain.com. Can any one aid with some
advice?

Thanks

Scott

Re: Virtial Hosting [ In reply to ]
Try this instead:

<VirtualHost *>
ServerAdmin webmaster@elitegamerz.org
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/games
ServerName web.elitegamez.org:8081
<Directory /var/www/html/games>
Options Indexes
Allow From All
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
ServerAdmin webmaster@elitegamerz.org
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/tn
ServerName mail.elitegamez.org
<Directory /var/www/html/tn>
Options Indexes
Allow From All
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

-=- RuneImp
ImpTech - Web Design, Hosting & Computer Tech
http://imptech.net
rune@imptech.net

Re: Virtial Hosting [ In reply to ]
Scott Hood wrote:

> I have 2 domains setup with dyndns.org. Current to domian 1 is going to port
> 8080 and domain2 is going to port 8081. I am running a linux firewall using
> ipchains. Port 8080 is fowarded to my webserver at port 80 and port 8081 is
> foward as port 8081 to the webserver. My virtual hosts looks like this for my
> troubled website. I sent the second domain to 8081 because i could not get the
> virtual hosting to work to start with.

There's nothing obviously wrong with this - I'm more concerned by the
forwarding rules in your FW - it's easy to screw these up...

What's wrong with Name-based VHing? Why not try:

NameVirtualHost ip-addr
Listen ip-addr
<VirtualHost ip-addr>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/games
ServerName web.elitegamez.org
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost ip-addr>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/tn
ServerName mail.elitegamez.org
</VirtualHost>

where ip-addr = the IP address that web.elitegamez.org and
mail.elitegamez.org resolve to.

Then you can server both sites from port 80 and your FW configuration
will be much simpler.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.