Mailing List Archive

REPOST: Forwarding http requests to another server on another port?
I have a server process that streams audio/video over HTTP, on the same
machine where I'm also running Apache. Apache listens on port 80, while
the other server listens on another port (naturally).

I'd like to be able to configure Apache to forward any incoming http
requests for a certain URL pattern (eg: /streaming/*) to the streaming
server, and have the results from that server returned to the client,
untouched.

It's important that the client not have to reconnect to the other server
as it is running on a port that would not be accessible from the
outside. In other words, normal redirect is not appropriate here.

I thought I could use the proxy features of Apache to do this, but I'm
unable to find the solution.

Any help?

|| client || <<---- (http:80) --->> || apache || <<--
(http:8000) -->> || streaming server ||

Thanks.

- Ken

RE: REPOST: Forwarding http requests to another server on another port? [ In reply to ]
use mod_rewrite and mod_proxy.
it should not be too complex.

Gilles

Re: REPOST: Forwarding http requests to another server on another port? [ In reply to ]
Can anybody give me some pointers as to how to go about configuring for
this?

I've read the relevant docs, but it isn't clear to me that/how this is
possible.

I need to be sure that, from the outside (client), the appearance is
that the connections are all through port 80.

Thanks.

- Ken

RE: REPOST: Forwarding http requests to another server on another port? [ In reply to ]
> From: Ken Pelletier [mailto:ken@nika.com]

> Can anybody give me some pointers as to how to go about configuring for
> this?
>
> I've read the relevant docs, but it isn't clear to me that/how this is
> possible.
>
> I need to be sure that, from the outside (client), the appearance is
> that the connections are all through port 80.

I actually disagree with the previous poster. It is not that complex to
configure, but it is a very complex setup overall. You should only do this
if you are very comfortable with debugging web stuff.

Here is the basics:

ProxyPass /streaming/ http://intranetserver/
ProxyPassReverse /streaming/ http://intranetserver/

It is only necessary to use mod_rewrite if you need to catch more
complicated
URLs.

Joshua.