Mailing List Archive

how to block ip's?
hello! my error.log is daily filled with the iis-exploit crap like:
--
[Thu Feb 07 12:50:53 2002] [error] [client 195.159.135.94] File does not
exist: c:/webroot/scripts/root.exe
[Thu Feb 07 12:50:54 2002] [error] [client 195.159.135.94] File does not
exist: c:/webroot/msadc/root.exe
[Thu Feb 07 12:50:56 2002] [error] [client 195.159.135.94] File does not
exist: c:/webroot/c/winnt/system32/cmd.exe
[Thu Feb 07 12:50:57 2002] [error] [client 195.159.135.94] File does not
exist: c:/webroot/d/winnt/system32/cmd.exe
--
etc.. and i tried to investigate if i could set up some kind of rule with
apache that

so quick quesion - is it possible?
and little longer question - may anyone please be willing to help me out
with setting this up, or point me in the right direction?
running apache 1.3.23 on windows xp

/Martin

RE: how to block ip's? [ In reply to ]
Martin,
You're already sending them a big 'ol 404. What do you want to send them?
A forbidden? I don't really think it makes a difference.
As for not getting the error messages in the access log, I suggest doing
that post processing. Something like:

grep -v "root\.exe" access_log | grep -v "cmd\.exe"

-Mike Arrison

RE: how to block ip's? [ In reply to ]
> Martin,
> You're already sending them a big 'ol 404. What do you
> want to send them? A forbidden? I don't really think it
> makes a difference.

:) Well, i just want to not send em anything at all, not let them connect
to my webserver if they "broke" my rule :) Sure, no big important thing,
just came up with this idea and was curious on if it was possible to
configure
and wanted to learn more :)

> As for not getting the error messages in the access
> log, I suggest doing that post processing. Something like:
>
> grep -v "root\.exe" access_log | grep -v "cmd\.exe"

Okie thanks for that one too :)

/Martin

Re: how to block ip's? [ In reply to ]
As you say this is for Windows I suggest you get BlackIce
from NetworkIce.com. I use it and it really is a must have
for security reasons, but I'm not so sure it will block all
of these the way you thing. What I do is monitor IPs from
one's that are really out of control and block them from me
either through my firewall, at the router, and/or with
BlackIce. Actually I'm using the network version, which is
far greater as it allows me to setup an entire network of
machine that I can effectively monitor and block. To top it
all off I use Windows IpSec, but I am running Windows 2000
Advanced Server. Windows XP has it built into the network
card connection. Just turn on the Firewall under the NIC
card in Network Connections.

help@httpd.apache.org

RE: how to block ip's? [ In reply to ]
> grep -v "root\.exe" access_log | grep -v "cmd\.exe"

How would i do that with rotating logs? New logs are
created everyday with some number tagged onto the end of it
for the date.

RE: how to block ip's? [ In reply to ]
Well,
If you want just the one days log, you should:

grep -v "root\.exe" access_log.date | grep -v "cmd\.exe"

Or if you want to see all the logs at want, issue a wildcard, like this:

grep -v "root\.exe" access_log.* | grep -v "cmd\.exe"

-Mike Arrison
arrison@gnostech.com
Systems Engineer
Gnostech, Inc.
http://www.gnostech.com
(215) 443-8660

> grep -v "root\.exe" access_log | grep -v "cmd\.exe"

How would i do that with rotating logs? New logs are
created everyday with some number tagged onto the end of it
for the date.

> As you say this is for Windows I suggest you get BlackIce
> from NetworkIce.com. I use it and it really is a must have
> for security reasons, but I'm not so sure it will block all
> of these the way you thing. What I do is monitor IPs from
> one's that are really out of control and block them from me
> either through my firewall, at the router, and/or with
> BlackIce. Actually I'm using the network version, which is
> far greater as it allows me to setup an entire network of
> machine that I can effectively monitor and block. To top it
> all off I use Windows IpSec, but I am running Windows 2000
> Advanced Server. Windows XP has it built into the network
> card connection. Just turn on the Firewall under the NIC
> card in Network Connections.

Thanks for your suggestions, i'll try out blackice right away!
/Martin

Re: how to block ip's? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:17:32 +0100
Martin Lindhe Martin Lindhe <martin@humany.com> wrote:

> [...]

Be sure that first you address the current security problems with
BlackIce, reported by Internet Security Systems (ISS) and X-Force:
http://www.iss.net/security_center/alerts/advise109.php

--
Raquel
How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something, but