Mailing List Archive

mod_proxy _rewrite to SSL a backend server
I have Apache 1.3.22 on RH7.1 Linux as a Frontend server running SSL secured through :443. It is enabled with mod_proxy and mod_rewrite. It is Internet accessible at https://www.example.com/

A Backend server is also running Apache (non-SSL!) with a legacy "application" site that is cgi driven. It is intranet accessible at http://backend.example.com/

I would like to have requests to Frontends's URL https://www.example.com/application/ be a transparent passthrough / rewrite for requests to http://backend.example.com/ without having to recode anything on Backend.

The result should be Internet output from:
https://www.example.com/application/cgi-bin/foo.cgi?i=1 or
https://www.example.com/application/html/calendar.html or
or whatever else the Backend spews forth.

Can this be done with mod's _proxy and _rewrite? What I though should work was:

--- snip httpd.conf----
<Directory />
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^application/(.*)$ http://10.0.0.50/$1 [P]</Directory>

This brings some of the images and html forward, but the links from the Backend to /cgi-bin/foo.cgi are still tied to www.example.com/cgi-bin/foo.cgi, so I conclude that I've missed something to make them /application/cgi-bin/foo.cgi

Thanks!

Re: mod_proxy _rewrite to SSL a backend server [ In reply to ]
I'm doing the same thing pretty much. You need the following 2 lines in
your httpd.conf.

ProxyPass /application http://backend.example.com/
ProxyPassReverse /application http://backened.example.com/

Thus spake David Richardson (isp@derdev.com):

> I have Apache 1.3.22 on RH7.1 Linux as a Frontend server running SSL secured through :443. It is enabled with mod_proxy and mod_rewrite. It is Internet accessible at https://www.example.com/
>
> A Backend server is also running Apache (non-SSL!) with a legacy "application" site that is cgi driven. It is intranet accessible at http://backend.example.com/
>
> I would like to have requests to Frontends's URL https://www.example.com/application/ be a transparent passthrough / rewrite for requests to http://backend.example.com/ without having to recode anything on Backend.
>
> The result should be Internet output from:
> https://www.example.com/application/cgi-bin/foo.cgi?i=1 or
> https://www.example.com/application/html/calendar.html or
> or whatever else the Backend spews forth.
>
> Can this be done with mod's _proxy and _rewrite? What I though should work was:
>
> --- snip httpd.conf----
> <Directory />
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^application/(.*)$ http://10.0.0.50/$1 [P]</Directory>
>
> This brings some of the images and html forward, but the links from the Backend to /cgi-bin/foo.cgi are still tied to www.example.com/cgi-bin/foo.cgi, so I conclude that I've missed something to make them /application/cgi-bin/foo.cgi
>
> Thanks!

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | Micros~1 :
Senior System Engineer | For when quality, reliability
at RnD Consulting | and security just aren't
\_ that important!
DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.
FYI:

Re: mod_proxy _rewrite to SSL a backend server [ In reply to ]
List: I tried Robert's idea and its not including '/billing in the virtual links within the document... am I asking too much or as my config wrong?

ProxyRequests on
ProxyPass /application http://10.0.0.50/
ProxyPassReverse /application http://10.0.0.50/

From: "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:55:47 -0700

Re: mod_proxy _rewrite to SSL a backend server [ In reply to ]
List: I tried Robert's idea and its not including '/application' in the virtual links within the document... am I asking too much or as my config wrong?

From: "Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:55:47 -0700