Mailing List Archive

Options Question
Apache 1.3.20
RedHat Linux

Quick question:

Why do I have to put ExecCGI in the in the high-level directiory directive.

<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

before cgi's will work for a virtual host.

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/myroot
ServerName www.myvhost.com
<Directory /var/www/html/myroot>
Allow from all
<Limit OPTIONS PROPFIND GET POST>
Allow from all
</Limit>
Options +FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

I thought the +ExecCGI appends it to the current Option list. If ExecCGI is
removed from the <Directory /> Directive the the following error is reported
in the log file:

Options ExecCGI is off in this directory:
/var/www/html/myroot/wld/packageOrder.pl

and of course a permission error is reported in the client browser.

I know how to make it work but if effects future installations.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Options Question [ In reply to ]
I am experiencing a rather odd problem with a dynamic site which I hope
someone can shed some light on.

I administer a web app which is mostly Java servlet based using Apache
1.3.20/Jserv 1.1.2. The problem is as follows:

A user clicks on a link which calls a dynamic page driven by javascript
which makes a number of calls to servlets to "paint" the page (a
database driven report). The page usually contains forms, but not all of
them do. Intermittently, the user will see the words "> Transfer
Interrupted" appear on the screen underneath the page that links to the
javascript page. After a split second, the "painted" page appears with
no loss of content.

This problem happens only in Netscape 4.x, but I the problem is wildly
intermittent (it is not a load issue because the problem happens at high
and low load).

Thanks for your time!

Ben Ricker
Web Security System Engineer
Wellinx, Inc.

Re: Options Question [ In reply to ]
David Morsberger wrote:

> Apache 1.3.20
> RedHat Linux
>
> Quick question:
>
> Why do I have to put ExecCGI in the in the high-level directiory directive.
>
> <Directory />
> Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
> AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
>
> before cgi's will work for a virtual host.
>
> <VirtualHost *>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/html/myroot
> ServerName www.myvhost.com
> <Directory /var/www/html/myroot>
> Allow from all
> <Limit OPTIONS PROPFIND GET POST>
> Allow from all
> </Limit>
> Options +FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI
> </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> I thought the +ExecCGI appends it to the current Option list. If ExecCGI is
> removed from the <Directory /> Directive the the following error is reported
> in the log file:

quick thought:
did you try
Options +Includes +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks
or
Options All

_ ___
| | Irmund Thum
| |

RE: Options Question [ In reply to ]
> From: David Morsberger [mailto:davidmorsberger@home.com]

>> Quick question:
>
> Why do I have to put ExecCGI in the in the high-level directiory
> directive.

The simple answer: You don't. Or if you do, this is a bug in Apache; but I
doubt that is the case.

One possibility is that you are doing something funky with symlinks that is
causing this. <Directory> sections apply to real directories, not symlinks.

Joshua.

Re: Options Question [ In reply to ]
The failing scenario is:

<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks

Re: Options Question [ In reply to ]
I am sure it is something I am doing.

I did a "ls -l" in every directory contained in the virtual host
DocumentRoot, /var/www/html/myroot, and there are no symbolic links.

The wld subdirectory in the URL is not a symbolic link.

/var/www/html/myroot/wld/packageOrder.pl

Thanks for the help,
Dave

Re: Options Question [ In reply to ]
David Morsberger wrote:

> The failing scenario is:
>
> <Directory />
> Options FollowSymLinks
> AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
>
> <VirtualHost *>
> DocumentRoot /var/www/html/myroot
> ServerName www.myvhost.com
> <Directory /var/www/html/myroot>
> Allow from all
> <Limit OPTIONS PROPFIND GET POST>
> Allow from all
> </Limit>
> Options +FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI
> </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> > quick thought:
> > did you try
> > Options +Includes +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks
> > or
> > Options All

my understanding of the doc
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_include.html
(Last Modified: 2001-11-12 11:10:27)
is that Includes is necessary to force
ExecCGI
therefore the quick idea outlined above...
but I realize now here is mixed-up of SSI and CGI (vhost)!?
--
_ ___
| | Irmund Thum
| |

Re: Options Question [ In reply to ]
I am not sure I follow.

Should I also add +Includes into the Directory directive within the
VirtualHost directive?

Thanks,
Dave

RE: Options Question [ In reply to ]
> From: ithum@m1.dnsix.com [mailto:ithum@m1.dnsix.com]On Behalf Of Irmund

> my understanding of the doc
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_include.html
> (Last Modified: 2001-11-12 11:10:27)
> is that Includes is necessary to force
> ExecCGI

Nope. That's not the case.

Joshua.

RE: Options Question [ In reply to ]
> From: David Morsberger [mailto:davidmorsberger@home.com]

> I am sure it is something I am doing.
>
> I did a "ls -l" in every directory contained in the virtual host
> DocumentRoot, /var/www/html/myroot, and there are no symbolic links.

But is /var/ or /var/www or /var/www/html or /var/www/html/myroot a symbolic
link?

If not, it might help if you posted your entire httpd.conf. (I don't
usually recommend that, but there must be something funky going on.)

Joshua.

Re: Options Question [ In reply to ]
David Morsberger wrote:

> I am not sure I follow.
>
> Should I also add +Includes into the Directory directive within the
> VirtualHost directive?

anyway, despite what Joshua has mnswered or finding the funky thing out
-
please try

- Options All
- (is this set in your httpd.conf:)
AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
- execute the perl script
<!--#include virtual="/packageOrder.pl" -->
^
(there is definitevily a space between " and -
reload and test the page...
and tell us the result
--
_ ___
| | Irmund Thum
| |

Re: Options Question [ In reply to ]
The .pl is an action to a form in a web page. It is not a ssi command.

RE: Options Question [ In reply to ]
> From: ithum@m1.dnsix.com [mailto:ithum@m1.dnsix.com]On Behalf Of Irmund
> Thum

> anyway, despite what Joshua has mnswered or finding the funky thing out

Irmud, I think you are confusing the issue here.

From what I can tell, David is using pure CGI, not CGI via SSI. In other
words he is requesting the CGI script directly from the browser, not
requesting an SSI script that includes a CGI script. If my interpretation
is correct, then you are leading off in the wrong direction.

Even if my interpretation is wrong, the error log message he quoted makes it
clear that the problem is with the ExecCGI option, not with Includes.

Joshua.

Re: Options Question [ In reply to ]
That is what I meant by a "ls -l" in every directory contained in the
virtual host, ls -l /var, ls -l /var/www, ...

Wait, while reviewing the conf files for proprietary info I found a typo. It
now works. It does work the way I originally thought it would.

Thanks for the help.