Mailing List Archive

Fixed:: "Relaying for virtual domains doesn't work"
Thank you, Neil, for the pointer, it eventually led to a
solution: poprelayd working with qpopper logging logins. If anyone's
interested in a blow-by-blow description of the hairy process, contact me
by email. (I *will* eventually get over the sore throat from yelling at
micro$oft products...)

FWIW, I think I'd have had a lot less trouble if qpopper and poprelayd were
conspicuously mentioned somewhere in the documentation - such as the README
or INSTALL files, or on the virtual hosting page: It seems like these are
pretty important parts of a virtual hosting setup.

FYI, here's the sub scanaddr() I'm using (successfully) in poprelayd:

# for qpopper 4.0.3
# By Fred Koschara <wfredk@fkeinternet.com>
# Based on the one by Tobias Barth <tobi@web-arts.de>
# Based on the one by Jan Gruber (jgruber@rz.htwk-leipzig.de)
#
sub scanaddr ($) {
my @addrs; # avoid hangs
my $s = $_[0];
my $i = index ($s,'popper');
undef @addrs;
if ($i >= 0)
{
($s =~ /.*?popper.*?POP login.*?(\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})/)
&& (push (@addrs,$1));
}
return @addrs;
}

-- Fred Koschara, President
L5 Development Group

Neil W Rickert <sendmail+rickert@sendmail.org> wrote:
>Please see
>
> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/relayingdenied.html
>
>If that does not help, then send us the syslog records from
>a failed attempt to send mail through your server.
>
> -NWR
>
>Fred Koschara <wfredk@fkeinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >I've been beating my head against this for a month, reading the O'Reily
> >sendmail book, the README file, the FAQ - in short everything I could find,
> >often with conflicting information as a result.
>
> >I am trying to set up a system for hosting several domains, and everything
> >is working but the last of the email. I've got sendmail 8.12.1 built and
> >installed for FreeBSD 4.4 on Intel. Mail sent _to_ the various domains
> >gets properly distributed, but I really don't understand the interaction
> >between mailertables and virtualusertable, but that's a different problem.
>
> >On the server where my sites were previously hosted, I could connect using
> >my Eudora client from arbitrary locations and send mail. With the new
> >system, however, every time I try to send mail from anywhere but a terminal
> >session running on the server, I get a "Relaying denied" error. I've tried
> >to fix it using MASQUERADE_DOMAIN_FILE, RELAY_DOMAIN_FILE,
> >FEATURE(relay_entire_domain), FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX),
> >FEATURE(delay_checks), all to no avail. I don't know if SMTP AUTH is
> >necessary or would work, I can't find any comprehensible documenation to
> >enlighten me.
>
> >If my Eudora mail client has a valid username and password configured,
> >isn't there some way for it to be able to send mail through my server? It
> >seems like it should be a simple setup, but I can't figure out how to do
> >it.

For private sector (commercial) space development, visit
http://www.L5Development.com
L5 Software Development - "out of this world" sites and software
http://www.L5Software.com
StudioLines.com - Your place on the Internet for local music
Music, feedback, connections. Tap the power of the Internet!
http://www.StudioLines.com
How much did your last traffic ticket cost you?
http://www.StopHighwayRobbery.com
ThmIndxr(tm), the *only* HTML thumbnail/indexer you need!
http://www.L5Software.com/go?ThmIndxr
wCapLock(tm), makes CapsLock work like it does on a typewriter
http://www.L5Software.com/go?wCapLock
KeywordGo(tm), provides keyword access to your popular pages
http://www.L5Software.com/go?KeywordGo
BannerAds(tm), join multiple affiliate programs with one banner
http://www.L5Software.com/go?BannerAds
My personal Web page is http://www.L5Development.com/wfredk
Stop by some time!

Re: Fixed:: "Relaying for virtual domains doesn't work" [ In reply to ]
My apologies to the members of this list: I sent the above referenced
message to the wrong mailing list. I guess I'm trying to fix too many
things at the same time - but who isn't?

BTW, Happy Holidays, all - no matter what your religious bent (or lack
thereof) is :)

-- Fred Koschara, President
L5 Development Group