Mailing List Archive

Recognizing .htaccess in non-apache directory.
My system administrator and myself are puzzled over Apache using a .htaccess
file that it shouldn't know about.

The .htaccess file is located at:

/home/fred/.htaccess

Apache is located at:

/usr/local/apache/

In the httpd.conf file are the following statements which may provide clues:

ServerRoot /usr/local/apache
DocumentRoot /home/fred/web
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin /home/fred/cgi
ScriptAlias /cgi /home/fred/cgi

(These are the only references containing /home/fred.)

When a change is made to /home/fred/.htaccess Apache reads and makes the
changes to the configuration.

The question is that why is apache looking at that file? The document root
is /home/fred/web not /home/fred.

Any ideas appreciated.

Regards,
Andrew.

Re: Recognizing .htaccess in non-apache directory. [ In reply to ]
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/configuring.html#htaccess

"Directives placed in .htaccess files apply to the directory where you place
the file, and all sub-directories."

See also the section "Locating and Merging .htaccess Files" at Ken's tutorial:

http://apache-server.com/tutorials/ATusing-htaccess.html