Mailing List Archive

httpd process stops responding and cannot be killed
Hello all,

I'm running Apache 1.3.20 under SunOs 5.7. My configuration include 3
servers - Proxy server (using mod_proxy and mod_rewrite), Documents server
(plain Apache) and
a mod_perl server.
The problem I'm having is that sometimes the proxy server stops responding
and it's process cannot be killed. The httpd process is started by root user
and defined to run as use nobody and group nobody.
After consulting our system administrator, searching the web and Apache faq
I have not even a clue about this problem.

Thanx,

Dror Bereznitsky

the system manager.

www.yellowpages.co.il
Re: httpd process stops responding and cannot be killed [ In reply to ]
> Dror Braznitzki wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I'm running Apache 1.3.20 under SunOs 5.7. My configuration include 3
> servers - Proxy server (using mod_proxy and mod_rewrite), Documents
> server (plain Apache) and
>
> a mod_perl server.
> The problem I'm having is that sometimes the proxy server stops
> responding and it's process cannot be killed. The httpd process is
> started by root user and defined to run as use nobody and group
> nobody.

You've got to kill the parent process whose process-id is kept in the
file defined by the PidFile directive (usually, logs/httpd.pid). If you
kill the children, they'll just come back again.

Don't use "-9" as a signal number (despite it being traditional). This
will only kill the parent and leave the child processes hanging on. Just
do a plain "kill":

# kill `cat httpd.pid`

and it should be gone.

rgds,

Owen Boyle.

RE: httpd process stops responding and cannot be killed [ In reply to ]
I've tried to kill this pid, but is simply does not exist.
When I take a look at the httpd process with ps -ef I find that it ppid is
1. The most interesting thing is that the httpd process has not parent (and
its parent is already killed)
and still its is not presented as a zombie process.
This process was left alone after stopping the server using apachectl.

www.mimesweeper.com
Re: httpd process stops responding and cannot be killed [ In reply to ]
> Dror Braznitzki wrote:
>
> I've tried to kill this pid, but is simply does not exist.
> When I take a look at the httpd process with ps -ef I find that it
> ppid is 1. The most interesting thing is that the httpd process has
> not parent (and its parent is already killed)
>
> and still its is not presented as a zombie process.
> This process was left alone after stopping the server using apachectl.

Very odd. can you please post the result of:

# ps -ef | grep httpd

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

RE: httpd process stops responding and cannot be killed [ In reply to ]
These are the results og ps -ef | grep 7035 - the problematic Apache runs
on port 7035

nobody 2491 1 0 Dec 16 ? 0:02
/dpzuser.wu06/apps/apache/https-7035/sbin/httpd_proxy/httpd
nobody 19427 19425 0 12:18:25 ? 0:00
/dpzuser.wu06/apps/apache/https-7035/sbin/httpd_docs/httpd
nobody 19426 19425 0 12:18:25 ? 0:00
/dpzuser.wu06/apps/apache/https-7035/sbin/httpd_docs/httpd
nobody 19430 19425 0 12:18:25 ? 0:00
/dpzuser.wu06/apps/apache/https-7035/sbin/httpd_docs/httpd
nobody 19428 19425 0 12:18:25 ? 0:00
/dpzuser.wu06/apps/apache/https-7035/sbin/httpd_docs/httpd
root 19425 1 0 12:18:25 ? 0:00
/dpzuser.wu06/apps/apache/https-7035/sbin/httpd_docs/httpd
nobody 19432 19425 0 12:18:31 ? 0:00
/dpzuser.wu06/apps/apache/https-7035/sbin/httpd_docs/httpd
nobody 19434 19425 0 12:18:32 ? 0:00
/dpzuser.wu06/apps/apache/https-7035/sbin/httpd_docs/httpd
nobody 19429 19425 0 12:18:25 ? 0:00
/dpzuser.wu06/apps/apache/https-7035/sbin/httpd_docs/httpd
nobody 19433 19425 0 12:18:32 ? 0:00

Re: httpd process stops responding and cannot be killed [ In reply to ]
This could be an occurence of a known Solaris/Apache bug which I have
also experienced. Have a look at bug number 7159 via http://bugs.apache.org/.

If you run a system call trace on the problem process with "truss",
you will probably find that it is stuck in some kind of I/O call.
If this is the same bug, then it is impossible to kill the process.

I don't have a complete explanation, but I can say that this
problem does not seem to appear with Apache 1.3.22 on Solaris 5.7.
So my suggestion would be to upgrade.

Regards,
Adam

RE: httpd process stops responding and cannot be killed [ In reply to ]
When trying to "truss" the process I get absolutly nothing. I tried trussing
the specific system call specified by the 7159 bug
( truss -t lwp_cond_wait -p 2491 ) report but found nothing.