Apache 1.3.22 isn't seeing my .htaccess files, and I think I've got the config
correct. It's readable by apache. Are there other config directives that
effect .htaccess files?

AllowOverride All
AccessFileName .htaccess

I'm starting to think my apache build's broken. Any help appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Matt

Re: setting up apache to read .htaccess [ In reply to ]
Matthew Kalastro wrote:

> Apache 1.3.22 isn't seeing my .htaccess files, and I think I've got the config
> correct. It's readable by apache. Are there other config directives that
> effect .htaccess files?
>
> AllowOverride All
> AccessFileName .htaccess

Could be a few things:

- Check that the directives you want to use are actually allowed in the
context of .htaccess.

- AccessFileName can't go in a <Directory> container, but since you have
set this to its default value, this probably doesn't matter.

- AllowOverride has to go in a <Directory> container, so the directives
you quote above should never be consecutive as you have shown.

- Multiple <Directory> containers which refer to the same directory
(even by inheritance) are combined according to a logical set of rules.
If you are not aware of the rules, you may get a surprise. Basically,
more specific <Directory>s override less specific and those at the same
level are processed in order (so last is most important). So, do you
have another <Directory> container which is switching off .htaccess?

You should have something like:

AccessFileName .htaccess
<Directory /path/to/htaccessed/directory>
AllowOverride All
Allow from all
</Directory>

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

Re: setting up apache to read .htaccess [ In reply to ]
And make sure the permissions on your .htaccess file are atleast 755.