(/lib/security/pam_stack.so) with and without the 'service=system-auth'.
Both error out. Anyone have any ideas? I am running RH 7.1, Apache 1.3.22,
and Samba-2.2.2 on a ix86 machine.

Carl Carpenter
IT Manager
Hill Country Community MHMR Center
"Hiroshima 1945, Chernobyl 1986, Windows 2000"

---

RE: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
You need to create the password file using the password utility that is
included with apache. You should find it in your bin directory beneath
the Apache directory or in the directory where you have installed the
binaries of Apache.
It is called password. I do not remember completely the syntax but with
the command ./password --help you will have all information you need to
create your password file. Just remember the location where you put it
to point to it in your .htaccess file.

Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy
e-mail: jean-gabriel@duquesnoy.de
http://www.duquesnoy.de

RE: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
What am I trying to avoid is duplicating accounts and extra passwords. As I
understand it, by using htpasswd, I have to create a user account on the
Linux server and assign it a password. By using winbindd, I am able to use
the NT PDC on my network to validate logons to the Linux server. I would
like the users to be able to use the same password (which I don't know).
Winbindd, however, doesn't create a passwd or group file.

Carl Carpenter
IT Manager
Hill Country Community MHMR Center
"Hiroshima 1945, Chernobyl 1986, Windows 2000"

You need to create the password file using the password utility that is
included with apache. You should find it in your bin directory beneath
the Apache directory or in the directory where you have installed the
binaries of Apache.
It is called password. I do not remember completely the syntax but with
the command ./password --help you will have all information you need to
create your password file. Just remember the location where you put it
to point to it in your .htaccess file.

Jean-Gabriel Duquesnoy
e-mail: jean-gabriel@duquesnoy.de
http://www.duquesnoy.de

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Re: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
Carl Carpenter wrote:

> What am I trying to avoid is duplicating accounts and extra passwords. As I
> understand it, by using htpasswd, I have to create a user account on the
> Linux server and assign it a password...

Not at all. You use htpasswd to make a file consisting of user-names and
encrypted passwords. That is the file you then point to with
AuthUserFile. The user/pass pairs are used only by apache and have
nothing to so with the OS.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

RE: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
> Linux server and assign it a password. By using winbindd, I am able to use
> the NT PDC on my network to validate logons to the Linux server. I would

Have a look at the Apache::AuthenSmb module (URL below). You need
to have mod_perl configured for your Apache server, and install
this module. It performs authentication against an NT domain controller.

http://www.perl.com/CPAN/modules/by-module/Apache/Apache-AuthenSmb-0.60.readme

Regards,
Adam

RE: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
Winbind alone won't solve your problem. Apache uses its own authentication,
and not the usual mechanism of the OS it's running on.

What you need is an Apache module to forward its authentication requests to
the Windows domain. Take a look at the following projects (culled from
http://modules.apache.org ), and try them to see which works better for your
needs:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/modauthsamba/ - mod_auth_samba
http://recd.hypermart.net/dev/ - Windows NT-based auth

Of these, I expect mod_auth_samba to be closer to what you need. Try it, and
good luck.

Pedro Ivo Tavares

Re: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
Adam Stephen <Adam.Stephen@jet.uk> said something to this effect on 12/18/2001:
> > Linux server and assign it a password. By using winbindd, I am able to use
> > the NT PDC on my network to validate logons to the Linux server. I would
>
> Have a look at the Apache::AuthenSmb module (URL below). You need
> to have mod_perl configured for your Apache server, and install
> this module. It performs authentication against an NT domain controller.
>
> http://www.perl.com/CPAN/modules/by-module/Apache/Apache-AuthenSmb-0.60.readme

That's a mod_perl module, and will run only if mod_perl is
installed; I don't remember mod_perl being mentioned in the
original post. Check out mod_auth_smb, at
http://guru.josefine.at/~mfischer/dev/mod_auth_smb/,

I've only looked through it briefly, but it looks ok.

(darren)

--
Life is divided into the horrible and the miserable.
-- Woody Allen

RE: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
I tried mod_auth_samba. Doesn't work. Error_log shows 'Invalid command
'AuthSambaAuthoritative', perhaps
mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server
configuration.' Any ideas? I am very new at Linux, so you won't offend me
by speaking slowly and saying 'This is a football'.

RE: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
Downloaded and tried to install the mod_auth_smb module today. Here's what
I got:

[root@geronimo mod_auth_smb-0.3]# make
gcc -Wall -DUSE_HSREGEX -O2 -shared -fpic -DSHARED_MODULE -I/usr/include/apa
che-1.3 -I. -DEAPI -c -o mod_auth_smb.o mod_auth_smb.c
mod_auth_smb.c:14:19: httpd.h: No such file or directory
mod_auth_smb.c:15:25: http_config.h: No such file or directory
mod_auth_smb.c:16:23: ap_compat.h: No such file or directory
mod_auth_smb.c:17:23: http_core.h: No such file or directory
mod_auth_smb.c:18:22: http_log.h: No such file or directory
mod_auth_smb.c:19:27: http_protocol.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [mod_auth_smb.o] Error 1

RE: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
Try running the Apache extension tool apxs as described in the README file.

This should set up the build environment appropriately so that the
header files can be located on your system.

# mod_auth_smb-0.3 README states :
#
#In case you got a problem with make, this sould also do it
#apxs -c -I. mod_auth_smb.c md4.c rfcnb-io.c rfcnb-util.c session.c smbdes.c\
#smbencrypt.c smblib-util.c smblib.c valid.c

Regards,
Adam

RE: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
Did that with this result:

[root@geronimo mod_auth_smb-0.3]# /usr/local/apache/bin/apxs -c -I.
mod_auth_smb.c md4.c rfcnb-io.c rfcnb-util.c session.c smbdes.c smbencrypt.c
smblib-util.c smblib.c valid.c
apxs:Error: Sorry, no DSO support for Apache available
apxs:Error: under your platform. Make sure the Apache
apxs:Error: module mod_so is compiled into your server
apxs:Error: binary `/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd'.
[root@geronimo mod_auth_smb-0.3]#

When I installed Apache 1.3.22 I used
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache. Should the module mod_so have been
compiled or is it somewhere else. Headbeating is starting to hurt.

Re: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
Yes, looks like you are missing mod_so. This module must be statically
compiled into Apache, since it enables dynamic loading of other modules
(in this case mod_auth_smb). To list what modules are compiled in, use
'/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -l'.

-Andelius

RE: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
Have a look at the section on Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support
in the README.configure file which comes with the apache distribution.

Briefly, the recipe to install most modules as shared objects is
as follows. But you should read more of the documentation to
understand what this means.

$ ./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache \
--enable-module=most \
--enable-shared=max
$ make
$ make install

Regards,
Adam

RE: htaccess and winbind [ In reply to ]
Thanks to the patience and assistance from Andrew Hawkes, I can now
configure a htaccess file to use NT authentication as provided by winbind. I
am using the mod_auth_smb module suggested by Darren in his response. It
doesn't seem to work with groups, but it does work with users. My htaccess
file looks like this:

Auth_SMB on
Auth_SMB_Authoritative on
Auth_SMB_Server PDC
Auth_SMB_Backup BDC
Auth_SMB_Domain DOMAIN
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Kerr MH"
require user scripttest

I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. Have a Merry Christmas
and a Happy New Year. You made it so for me.

Carl Carpenter
IT Manager
Hill Country Community MHMR Center
"Hiroshima 1945, Chernobyl 1986, Windows 2000"

Yes, looks like you are missing mod_so. This module must be statically
compiled into Apache, since it enables dynamic loading of other modules
(in this case mod_auth_smb). To list what modules are compiled in, use
'/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -l'.

-Andelius

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 13:15:08 -0600
"Carl Carpenter" <ccarpenter@hillcountry.org> wrote:

> Did that with this result:
>
> [root@geronimo mod_auth_smb-0.3]# /usr/local/apache/bin/apxs -c -I.
> mod_auth_smb.c md4.c rfcnb-io.c rfcnb-util.c session.c smbdes.c
smbencrypt.c
> smblib-util.c smblib.c valid.c
> apxs:Error: Sorry, no DSO support for Apache available
> apxs:Error: under your platform. Make sure the Apache
> apxs:Error: module mod_so is compiled into your server
> apxs:Error: binary '/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd'.
> [root@geronimo mod_auth_smb-0.3]#
>
> When I installed Apache 1.3.22 I used
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache. Should the module mod_so have
been
> compiled or is it somewhere else. Headbeating is starting to hurt.
>
> Carl Carpenter
> IT Manager
> Hill Country Community MHMR Center
> "Hiroshima 1945, Chernobyl 1986, Windows 2000"

---