Mailing List Archive

RPM funkiness
My day with RPM is going much like Kyle's day with mod_rewrite. Lots of
head banging and not much progress.

I've got a RedHat 6.2 box, and I am trying to upgrade my SSH to v2.

I needed these:
openssh-3.0.2p1-1.i386.rpm
openssl-0.9.6-9.i386.rpm

[root]rpm -i openssl-0.9.6-9.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2) is needed by openssl-0.9.6b-1

Ok, so I need to install glibc - sigh. Download these:
glibc-2.1.3-23.i386.rpm
glibc-devel-2.1.3-23.i386.rpm

Only to discover I cannot install those because I have an earlier
version of RPM. Awwwww, bite me, went and got this:
rpm-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm

And according to this page:
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHEA-2001-016.html

I needed to upgrade db1 to db3, sigh, ok so I got
db3-3.1.17-4.6x.i386.rpm and installed than and then ran:
rpm --rebuilddb

No problems so far.

[root]rpm -Fvh rpm-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm (from the above mentioned URL)
It printed out a bunch of ################# and reported nothing else,
so i thought it worked.

[root]rpm -V rpm-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm
package rpm-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm is not installed

hmmmmm, ok, let's try this:
[root]rpm -i rpm-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm
package rpm-4.0.2-6x is already installed

Nice.

It's not installed, & I can't install it, but /var/run/rpm/ is showing
that 4.02 is in fact installed, as 'Packages' is used by 4.02 and
'packages' is used by 3.x versions.

WTF?

Obviously I broke something, but I'm at a loss as to how to fix it.

Pointers?

Cheers,
Sean

Re: RPM funkiness [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Sean Correia wrote:

> My day with RPM is going much like Kyle's day with mod_rewrite. Lots of
> head banging and not much progress.
>
> I've got a RedHat 6.2 box, and I am trying to upgrade my SSH to v2.
>
> I needed these:
> openssh-3.0.2p1-1.i386.rpm
> openssl-0.9.6-9.i386.rpm
>
> [root]rpm -i openssl-0.9.6-9.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
> libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2) is needed by openssl-0.9.6b-1

This means that this rpm was compiled on RedHat 7.x (7.2 maybe?).
The main C libraries were upgraded, and this has caused the problem.

> Ok, so I need to install glibc - sigh. Download these:
> glibc-2.1.3-23.i386.rpm
> glibc-devel-2.1.3-23.i386.rpm
>
> Only to discover I cannot install those because I have an earlier
> version of RPM. Awwwww, bite me, went and got this:
> rpm-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm
>
> And according to this page:
> http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHEA-2001-016.html
>
> I needed to upgrade db1 to db3, sigh, ok so I got
> db3-3.1.17-4.6x.i386.rpm and installed than and then ran:
> rpm --rebuilddb
>
> No problems so far.
>
> [root]rpm -Fvh rpm-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm (from the above mentioned URL)
> It printed out a bunch of ################# and reported nothing else,
> so i thought it worked.
>
> [root]rpm -V rpm-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm
> package rpm-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm is not installed
>
> hmmmmm, ok, let's try this:
> [root]rpm -i rpm-4.0.2-6x.i386.rpm
> package rpm-4.0.2-6x is already installed
>
> Nice.
>
> It's not installed, & I can't install it, but /var/run/rpm/ is showing
> that 4.02 is in fact installed, as 'Packages' is used by 4.02 and
> 'packages' is used by 3.x versions.
>
> WTF?
>
> Obviously I broke something, but I'm at a loss as to how to fix it.
>
> Pointers?
>
> Cheers,
> Sean

Well, I'd build openssl and openssh from source, so that you don't
have to update glibc, db3, rpm, etc, etc.

And I usually install packages with 'rpm -Uvh *.rpm' or whatever.
U for upgrade, v for verbose, h for hash marks.

In this case, 'rpm -Uvh --force *.rpm' might help, as well as
'rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *.rpm', but this second one ignores
dependencies, which are typically either vital or messed up.

And the 'rpm --rebuilddb' shouldn't hurt at any time, but it's fairly
important to run it after going to rpm-4 (+db3), since it changes the format
of the rpm database to the new style (the db3 style). The old style
database is a little bit unstable with rpm-4 (ie: self destructs).

But this isn't really an Apache question, so I guess we should take
this offline.
--
N Fudd -- nfudd@vsol.net
"In God we trust, all others we monitor."

RE: RPM funkiness [ In reply to ]
> But this isn't really an Apache question, so I guess we should take
> this offline.

I shall chastize myself for this and save others the hassle.

<smack>

This was meant for another list, so I apologize for the noise and now
return you to your regularly scheduled Apache list.

Long day,
Sean