At our company we have Apache running (newest version) compiled recently. Anyway, we want to be able to run one apache server which will host about 7 different webpages viewed externally assigned to 65.212.178.xxx. I believe that I have this part setup correctly using

Listen 65.212.178.xxx:80
Listen 65.212.178.xxx:443 due to ssl
NameVirtualHost 65.212.178.xxx

Then I have my virtual servers listed next, this part was all working fine and dandy.

Then we added a second nick to the card and gave it an internal IP address of 172.16.0.xxx. The problem is that we would like to be able to use www.domainname.com <http://www.domainname.com/> for both the internal and external viewing but we don't want to go out the router and then come back in (even though it would only be a small amount of traffic).

If anyone would be willing to help out, I could send a copy of my httpd.conf file and corresponding dns entries.

Thanks in advance
Re: Virtual Server Question (Actually more a is this possible type fo thing) [ In reply to ]
Please post in plain-text, I can't quote your message...

This is really a domain name resolution problem. You want to leave
www.domain.com pointing to your external IP address on the external DNS
but you want to configure your internal nameservice to point
www.domain.com to your internal IP address.

This is not so easy to do - if you take over .com addresses internally,
you risk that clients will lose access to real external .com addresses
(you DNS will point them to the internal server which won't find them).

Going out and in again is not so daft - it allows you to verify the
entire set-up when you are testing the web-site (ISP link, FW, routers
etc.). Alternatively, if you must have internal access, consider an
alias for the site on the internal network.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.