Mailing List Archive

My votes (again).
Since I first posted this list before the formal call for the patch vote,
and a couple of new items have come up anyway, here they are again. Note
that the +1 votes on 52 and 53 are new; the rest are unchanged.

+1 40_tz.0.8.16.patch
+1 41_getparents.0.8.16.patch
+1 42_cert.no2slash.0.8.16.patch
-1 43_slashredir.0.8.16.patch --- I've already explained my reasons for
this at *great* length. In brief:

I agree that there is a gotcha here for the unwary, but 43a fixes
that without causing any new problems, and this patch *does* cause
new problems.

+1 43a_slashredir.0.8.16.patch

+0 44_ident.0.8.16.patch --- modifies code in #ifdefs for LINUX and NEXT,
which may be a portability problem for those systems (NB NEXT has been
troublesome generally); I'm testing it on SunOS, but I'd need to know
it had been tested on those as well before giving it a +1.

(I'd also feel far more comfortable with it if I knew it had been
independantly tested by someone who uses identd).

+1 45_dbm_groups.0.8.16.patch
+0 46.dbmmanage_group.0.8.16.patch - I don't use dbmmanage
+1 47.allow.0.8.16.patch
+1 48.log-ssi.0.8.16.patch
+1 50.imagemap.0.8.16.patch
+1 51.requires.0.8.16.patch
+1 52.extralibs.0.8.16.patch
+1 53.README_enhancement.0.8.16.patch
Re: My votes (again). [ In reply to ]
I don't appreciate this FUD crap.
There are no problems known to me caused by this patch.

It caused users of my site to get gratuitously bounced. You may not
consider that a problem. I do, and it justifies the veto.

rst
Re: My votes (again). [ In reply to ]
Ooopss... sorry. This is the redirect kludge, not the "ban // completely"
hack. I'll admit that I can't figure out how to get it to, say, generate
a redirect loop (checking for whether the // was present in the supplied
URL covers some of the easy cases), but I have a nasty feeling I'm missing
something, and I prefer to play it safe.

Sorry about the confusion.

rst
Re: My votes (again). [ In reply to ]
>-1 43_slashredir.0.8.16.patch --- I've already explained my reasons for
> this at *great* length. In brief:
>
> I agree that there is a gotcha here for the unwary, but 43a fixes
> that without causing any new problems, and this patch *does* cause
> new problems.

I don't appreciate this FUD crap.
There are no problems known to me caused by this patch.

David.
Re: My votes (again). [ In reply to ]
>It caused users of my site to get gratuitously bounced. You may not
>consider that a problem. I do, and it justifies the veto.

No it does NOT. Look at the patch again. IT REDIRECTS THE USERS TO THE
CORRECT URL. IT DOES NOT BOUNCE THEM.
Re: My votes (again). [ In reply to ]
David R:
> >-1 43_slashredir.0.8.16.patch --- I've already explained my reasons for
> > this at *great* length. In brief:
> >
> > I agree that there is a gotcha here for the unwary, but 43a fixes
> > that without causing any new problems, and this patch *does* cause
> > new problems.
>
> I don't appreciate this FUD crap.

1) 'Fear Uncertainty and Doubt'. It's what stops you buying a new
car when you know that the model will be upgraded in 3 months anyway.
So for another 3 months you put up with a heap of crap, and when the
time comes to buy your new car it really wasn't worth the wait.

2) A useful marketing ploy. "We're gonna release some kuhl software
RSN, don't buy the other guy's stuff till you've seen ours", cf. vaporware.

3) Fud, Elmer. Noted cartoon character from the Warner Bros stable.
Reputedly based upon a star of contemporary American humourous
entertainment, now a derogetory synonym for person, persons or some
other agent which is perceived to stifle or otherwise hinder the
development or acceptance of new ideas.

> There are no problems known to me caused by this patch.

Perhaps rst could summarise his concerns. Though he may already have
done this in the list's archive. I'll admit that some days it's all I
can do to find time to 'file' this list, let alone read it ;)

> David.

Ay.