Mailing List Archive

Apache-SSL, wider distribution
Conditions of use for Apache-SSL:

In order to comply with UK export restrictions, I must be satisfied that the
end-user of this software complies with the following restrictions:

1. The software will not be used, in whole or in part, in connection with the
development, production, handling, operation, maintenance, storage, detection,
identification or dissemination of chemical, biological or nuclear weapons or
the development, production, maintenance or storage of missiles capable of
delivering such weapons.

2. The software may not be exported to the following countries:

Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia, Bulgaria,
Burma, China (Peoples' Republic of), Croatia, Cuba, Egypt, Estonia, Georgia,
India, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania,
Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Russia, Rwanda,
Serbia, Slovenia, Somalia, South Korea, Sudan, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan,
Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekhistan, Vietnam, Zaire.

That is, the above list cannot be exported to without a license. It may be
possible with a license.

I will therefore make this software available to anyone who:

a) is not in the above list of countries.

b) assures me that they will not be using the software for the above prohibited
purposes.

c) tells me what they will be using the software for.

d) gives me a list of sites they intend to run the software on.

e) explains their policy with regard to redistribution of the software, and the
enforcement of the above rules.

Note that I do have to be convinced by the answers!

There is an onus on me to make all reasonable enquiries. I believe that the
list above is reasonable given the nature of the software and the Internet. If
anyone has any suggestions, I would be only too pleased to hear them.

--
Ben Laurie Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
Freelance Consultant Fax: +44 (181) 994 6472
Re: Apache-SSL, wider distribution [ In reply to ]

> Conditions of use for Apache-SSL:
>
> In order to comply with UK export restrictions, I must be satisfied that the
> end-user of this software complies with the following restrictions:
>
> 1. The software will not be used, in whole or in part, in connection with the
> development, production, handling, operation, maintenance, storage, detection,
> identification or dissemination of chemical, biological or nuclear weapons or
> the development, production, maintenance or storage of missiles capable of
> delivering such weapons.

> a) is not in the above list of countries.

I am in the US.

> b) assures me that they will not be using the software for the above prohibited
> purposes.

I will not develop, produce, handle, operate, maintain, store,
detect, indentify, nor disseminate chemical, biological or nuclear
weapons with the Apache/SSL software. I will not develop, produce,
maintain, nor store missles capable of delivering such weapons with
the Apache/SSL software.

> c) tells me what they will be using the software for.

I will use the software to run encrypting web servers within
the United States. I will distribute the software within the United
States, with some customizations.

www.c2.org, initially.

> e) explains their policy with regard to redistribution of the software, and the
> enforcement of the above rules.

I plan on redistributing only to US persons. Initially I will
require that sites I redistribute to be non-commercial, until whcih
time I purchase a liscense for the commercial use of RSAREF, when I
will be able to distribute to both commericl and non-commercial sites.

--
sameer Voice: 510-601-9777
Community ConneXion FAX: 510-601-9734
Re: Apache-SSL, wider distribution [ In reply to ]

> > Conditions of use for Apache-SSL:
> >
> > In order to comply with UK export restrictions, I must be satisfied that the
> > end-user of this software complies with the following restrictions:
> >
> > 1. The software will not be used, in whole or in part, in connection with the
> > development, production, handling, operation, maintenance, storage, detection,
> > identification or dissemination of chemical, biological or nuclear weapons or
> > the development, production, maintenance or storage of missiles capable of
> > delivering such weapons.
>

> > a) is not in the above list of countries.
>
> I am in the US.
>

> > b) assures me that they will not be using the software for the above prohibited
> > purposes.
>
> I will not develop, produce, handle, operate, maintain, store,
> detect, indentify, nor disseminate chemical, biological or nuclear
> weapons with the Apache/SSL software. I will not develop, produce,
> maintain, nor store missles capable of delivering such weapons with
> the Apache/SSL software.
>

> > c) tells me what they will be using the software for.
>
> I will use the software to run encrypting web servers within
> the United States. I will distribute the software within the United
> States, with some customizations.
>

> > d) gives me a list of sites they intend to run the software on.
>
> www.c2.org, initially.
>

> > e) explains their policy with regard to redistribution of the software, and the
> > enforcement of the above rules.
>
> I plan on redistributing only to US persons. Initially I will
> require that sites I redistribute to be non-commercial, until whcih
> time I purchase a liscense for the commercial use of RSAREF, when I
> will be able to distribute to both commericl and non-commercial sites.

To make me legal, you must enforce the end-user restrictions. Can you do that?
That is, you must pass on these restrictions in your redistribution. By
enforce, I mean that you must convince me that you will take reasonable steps
to ensure that they will be complied with. Note that this is legalese, but it
seems to be the legalese I have to deal with.

Cheers,

Ben.

P.S. How's the patch holding up?

Re: Apache-SSL, wider distribution [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, sameer wrote:
> Hell if I know. I mean tto send that response directly to
> you... new-httpd doesn't have reply-to set to the list does it?

Yep, it does. Call it stupid, but it prevents people from getting 2-3
copies of the same message.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: Apache-SSL, wider distribution [ In reply to ]

Re: Apache-SSL, wider distribution [ In reply to ]

> On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, sameer wrote:
> > Hell if I know. I mean tto send that response directly to
> > you... new-httpd doesn't have reply-to set to the list does it?
>
> Yep, it does. Call it stupid, but it prevents people from getting 2-3
> copies of the same message.

I think it is totally sensible. It comes from a list, the replies should go
to a list. ssl-talk doesn't do this, and I find it a total pain.

Cheers,

Ben.
Re: Apache-SSL, wider distribution [ In reply to ]
new-httpd doesn't have reply-to set to the list does it?

It does indeed --- a long time ago, people were griping about getting
two copies of replies in their mailboxes, and this was the solution,
such as it is.

rst