- perhaps with CGI-scripted rotating listing order. Anyways, it would
add horsepower to the debugging process and free us up to focus on new
functionality. This is not to replace making the documentation on the
home pages first-rate - in fact it's in these company's interests to have
good documentation on the site.

So, anyone mind if I draft this and send it to various newsgroups?

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: commercial support for apache [ In reply to ]
> Not to break the bug-squishing conversations, but it occured to me that
> something which could help "legitimize" Apache in the eyes of
> commercial/large users, or even encourage companies to support apache by
> dedicating engineer time to it, would be to establish a list of companies
> who are willing to provide commercial support for apache. "Support"
> being defined as a time-based contract for timely answers to installation
> questions, operation questions, perhaps even handling bug reports, with
> the expectation that at least one member from each company would become
> Apache developer group members. This would fit into the business model of
> companies like Cygnus. The list of companies would be a simple database
> - perhaps with CGI-scripted rotating listing order. Anyways, it would
> add horsepower to the debugging process and free us up to focus on new
> functionality. This is not to replace making the documentation on the
> home pages first-rate - in fact it's in these company's interests to have
> good documentation on the site.
>
> So, anyone mind if I draft this and send it to various newsgroups?
>
> Brian

Sounds like a good idea to me. My company would certainly be able to provide
the service, for starters...

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
Freelance Consultant Fax: +44 (181) 994 6472
Re: commercial support for apache [ In reply to ]
At 09:23 AM 11/7/95 +0000, you wrote:
>> Not to break the bug-squishing conversations, but it occured to me that
>> something which could help "legitimize" Apache in the eyes of
>> commercial/large users, or even encourage companies to support apache by
>> dedicating engineer time to it, would be to establish a list of companies
>> who are willing to provide commercial support for apache. "Support"
>> being defined as a time-based contract for timely answers to installation
>> questions, operation questions, perhaps even handling bug reports, with
>> the expectation that at least one member from each company would become
>> Apache developer group members. This would fit into the business model of
>> companies like Cygnus. The list of companies would be a simple database
>> - perhaps with CGI-scripted rotating listing order. Anyways, it would
>> add horsepower to the debugging process and free us up to focus on new
>> functionality. This is not to replace making the documentation on the
>> home pages first-rate - in fact it's in these company's interests to have
>> good documentation on the site.
>>
>> So, anyone mind if I draft this and send it to various newsgroups?
>>
>> Brian
>
>Sounds like a good idea to me. My company would certainly be able to provide
>the service, for starters...

Same here.

Don't we need to be a legal party to be able to do this though? Maybe
we should consider not-for-profit status and apply somewhere.

<Aram>
Re: commercial support for apache [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Aram W. Mirzadeh wrote:
> Don't we need to be a legal party to be able to do this though?

I don't see why....

Re: commercial support for apache [ In reply to ]
> On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Aram W. Mirzadeh wrote:
> > Don't we need to be a legal party to be able to do this though?
>
> I don't see why....

There's NO reason whatsoever why the persons involved in the support of
a product need to be the same people who coordinate it's development.
My Dad could read up on Apache, set up a company and quite legitimately
sell support for that product without need to refer back to The Apache
Group (or whatever) at any time.

If a company is offering support for a product then that company would
very probably need some kind of legal basis (board of directors, tax
number or some similar foo), but it wouldn't follow that Apache Group
would need any kind of legal basis.

> Brian

Ay.