Mailing List Archive

WWW Form Bug Report: "Server side include causes MIME type of text/html regardless of real mime type" on Linux
>From: aixgod@ix.netcom.com
>To: awm@qosina.com
>Date: Tue Oct 24 7:44:13 1995
>Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "Server side include causes MIME type of
text/html regardless of real mime type" on Linux

>Submitter: aixgod@ix.netcom.com
>Operating system: Linux, version:
>Extra Modules used:
>URL exhibiting problem:
>
>Symptoms:
>--
>Apache compiled with x/g-bithack. If you set the owner execute bit on a
file (such as a .pdf file) that has it's own mime type, Apache will return
the file as MIME type of text/html instead of application/pdf. If I remove
the execute bit then it has a Content-Type of application/pdf.

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Server side include causes MIME type of [ In reply to ]
> >Symptoms:
> >--
> >Apache compiled with x/g-bithack. If you set the owner execute bit on a
> file (such as a .pdf file) that has it's own mime type, Apache will return
> the file as MIME type of text/html instead of application/pdf. If I remove
> the execute bit then it has a Content-Type of application/pdf.
> >--

http://hyperreal.com/httpd/patches/for_Apache_0.8.14/03_XBITHACK_restrict.0.8.14.patch

Been there, tried that. The idea was rejected. I'll support it if it makes
a comeback.