I can compile for HPUX and NeXT. Let's work out a list of platforms
that we have covered.

rob
Re: more preparation for 1.0 [ In reply to ]
> I can compile for HPUX and NeXT. Let's work out a list of platforms
> that we have covered.

I can compile for Solaris 1.x and 2.x.
Re: more preparation for 1.0 [ In reply to ]
Re: more preparation for 1.0 [ In reply to ]
Re: more preparation for 1.0 [ In reply to ]
At 11:39 AM 10/18/95 -0500, you wrote:

>> We should provide as many 1.0 binaries as possible.
>>
>> So the question now is, what should be compiled in as standard?
>
>The kitchen sink. If something is missing, we'll get bug reports.
>(kitchen sink meaning every module that is distributed as part of
>the Apache source. Without MAXIMUM_DNS defined)

And no dld for obvious reasons.

I can do Linux, both a.out and ELF versions.

I can also get an SCO out now... but I think we have 2 others
for SCO already. BTW, are SCO, and SCO Desktop, and OpenDesktop
3 different products?

<Aram>
Re: more preparation for 1.0 [ In reply to ]

>> I can compile for HPUX and NeXT. Let's work out a list of platforms
>> that we have covered.
>
>I can cover NetBSD-1.1 binaries and BSDI-1.1 binaries as well as
>2.0 if we think it is necessary to provide both versions. I
>assume that someone else will provide SunOS-4.1.3, but I am
>equally willing to package this one as well.

I can provide SunOS 4.1.4
Re: more preparation for 1.0 [ In reply to ]

> This was universally accepted as a good idea some time back, so time to
> start thinking about it.
>
> We should provide as many 1.0 binaries as possible.
>
> So the question now is, what should be compiled in as standard?
>
> I can compile for HPUX and NeXT. Let's work out a list of platforms
> that we have covered.

I can do SCO 3 and QNX.

--
Ben Laurie Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
Freelance Consultant Fax: +44 (181) 994 6472
Re: more preparation for 1.0 [ In reply to ]
If nobody grabs it I can do Solaris 2.4

-Max Levchin
mlevchin@ampere.scale.uiuc.edu
Re: more preparation for 1.0 [ In reply to ]
Dredged up from the annals:

> At 11:39 AM 10/18/95 -0500, you wrote:
> >>
> >> We should provide as many 1.0 binaries as possible.
> >>
> >> So the question now is, what should be compiled in as standard?
> >
> >The kitchen sink. If something is missing, we'll get bug reports.
> >(kitchen sink meaning every module that is distributed as part of
> >the Apache source. Without MAXIMUM_DNS defined)
>
> And no dld for obvious reasons.
>
> I can do Linux, both a.out and ELF versions.
>
> I can also get an SCO out now... but I think we have 2 others
> for SCO already. BTW, are SCO, and SCO Desktop, and OpenDesktop
> 3 different products?

I'm not sure what Desktop is, but SCO Unix and SCO Open Desktop (all flavours)
are essentially the same thing. However, there appear to be some old versions
out there. I've never heard of anyone running them. And, of course, there's the
new version, Release 5, which I have, but am not running. The relevant command
on SCO is uname -X, which produces something horrid like this:

System = gonzo
Node = gonzo
Release = 3.2v4.2
KernelID = 94/02/14
Machine = Pentium
BusType = ISA
Serial = FRO1234567
Users = 16-user
OEM# = 0
Origin# = 1
NumCPU = 1

The interesting part being "Release".

BTW, the system which produced this output is sold as "SCO Open Server
Enterprise Edition 3.0" (did I forget to mention that Open Server is also the
same as Open Desktop?). Note the correlation between the name and the release
number (shurely some mishtake? - Ed).

> <Aram>

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: more preparation for 1.0 [ In reply to ]
At 04:53 PM 10/24/95 +0100, you wrote:

>I'm not sure what Desktop is, but SCO Unix and SCO Open Desktop (all flavours)
>are essentially the same thing. However, there appear to be some old versions
>out there. I've never heard of anyone running them. And, of course, there's the
>new version, Release 5, which I have, but am not running. The relevant command
>on SCO is uname -X, which produces something horrid like this:
>
>System = gonzo
>Node = gonzo
>Release = 3.2v4.2

Geeesh! I have this version on a CD somewhere.... I've had the same
CD for the past 2 years... they never upgraded to anything else?
What's all the hopla then?

>KernelID = 94/02/14
>Machine = Pentium
>BusType = ISA
>Serial = FRO1234567

Hmm... too bad I don't have the activation key. :) Ever try demo as the
serial, and demo001 as the activation key? Works wonders.

>Users = 16-user
>OEM# = 0
>Origin# = 1
>NumCPU = 1
>
>The interesting part being "Release".
>
>BTW, the system which produced this output is sold as "SCO Open Server
>Enterprise Edition 3.0" (did I forget to mention that Open Server is also the
>same as Open Desktop?). Note the correlation between the name and the release
>number (shurely some mishtake? - Ed).

SCO? Nah... never.

<Aram>
Re: more preparation for 1.0 [ In reply to ]

> At 04:53 PM 10/24/95 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> >I'm not sure what Desktop is, but SCO Unix and SCO Open Desktop (all flavours)
> >are essentially the same thing. However, there appear to be some old versions
> >out there. I've never heard of anyone running them. And, of course, there's the
> >new version, Release 5, which I have, but am not running. The relevant command
> >on SCO is uname -X, which produces something horrid like this:
> >
> >System = gonzo
> >Node = gonzo
> >Release = 3.2v4.2
>
> Geeesh! I have this version on a CD somewhere.... I've had the same
> CD for the past 2 years... they never upgraded to anything else?
> What's all the hopla then?

Its even older than that. SCO have this neat system. First you get a
5-year-out-of-date system, then you download 50 MB of patches over the
Internet, then you copy each patch to a floppy, then you install it. If you
can figure out which patches you need, that is. I'm not kidding. BTW, the docs
should probably note that patch NET382e is a very fine idea for SCO systems.
The original TCP/IP is more than a little broken. Still doesn't support IP
aliases, tho.

> >KernelID = 94/02/14
> >Machine = Pentium
> >BusType = ISA
> >Serial = FRO1234567
>
> Hmm... too bad I don't have the activation key. :)

I took the precaution of changing the number ;-)

> Ever try demo as the
> serial, and demo001 as the activation key? Works wonders.

Nope, but I will!

Re: more preparation for 1.0 [ In reply to ]
At 06:27 PM 10/24/95 +0100, you wrote:

>Its even older than that. SCO have this neat system. First you get a
>5-year-out-of-date system, then you download 50 MB of patches over the
>Internet, then you copy each patch to a floppy, then you install it. If you
>can figure out which patches you need, that is. I'm not kidding. BTW, the docs
>should probably note that patch NET382e is a very fine idea for SCO systems.
>The original TCP/IP is more than a little broken. Still doesn't support IP
>aliases, tho.
>
>> >KernelID = 94/02/14
>> >Machine = Pentium
>> >BusType = ISA
>> >Serial = FRO1234567
>>
>> Hmm... too bad I don't have the activation key. :)
>
>I took the precaution of changing the number ;-)

I noticed.

>> Ever try demo as the
>> serial, and demo001 as the activation key? Works wonders.
>
>Nope, but I will!

Actually I was kidding.. it reduces the #of users of your system to
2, and the system will not bootup after 90 days.... and I think it deletes
the library files as well... so you can only mount the drive, not boot off
of it.

Aram>