(please do a reply-all, as I am not subscribed to your dev@ list.)

Thank you!

--
Andrew Wetmore
Technical Writer-Editor
Infra
*Apache Software Foundation*
andreww@apache.org
Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
I reviewed Christophes old post, I think we should proceed with the
ASF template and migration process. Worst case Christophe can still
apply what he has learned to further refine the output of the
migration.

I'll create an infra ticket to ask for the repo and migration on
Monday unless someone objects.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com
Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
On 18/06/2021 14.16, Eric Covener wrote:
> I reviewed Christophes old post, I think we should proceed with the
> ASF template and migration process. Worst case Christophe can still
> apply what he has learned to further refine the output of the
> migration.
>
> I'll create an infra ticket to ask for the repo and migration on
> Monday unless someone objects.

repo request is done via selfserve.apache.org
migrating the site (and using pelican/jbake/hugo??) is done also
self-serve-y via .asf.yaml - s.apache.org/asfyaml

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 8:20 AM Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18/06/2021 14.16, Eric Covener wrote:
> > I reviewed Christophes old post, I think we should proceed with the
> > ASF template and migration process. Worst case Christophe can still
> > apply what he has learned to further refine the output of the
> > migration.
> >
> > I'll create an infra ticket to ask for the repo and migration on
> > Monday unless someone objects.
>
> repo request is done via selfserve.apache.org

Since we do not use gitbox yet: So this would result in e.g.
github.com/apache/httpd-site and users can then choose to interact
with github or gitbox.a.o, right?

> migrating the site (and using pelican/jbake/hugo??) is done also
> self-serve-y via .asf.yaml - s.apache.org/asfyaml

A lot of info there, I see the pelican config stuff but can you give a
hint about the migration aspect there?
Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
On 18/06/2021 14.33, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 8:20 AM Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 18/06/2021 14.16, Eric Covener wrote:
>>> I reviewed Christophes old post, I think we should proceed with the
>>> ASF template and migration process. Worst case Christophe can still
>>> apply what he has learned to further refine the output of the
>>> migration.
>>>
>>> I'll create an infra ticket to ask for the repo and migration on
>>> Monday unless someone objects.
>>
>> repo request is done via selfserve.apache.org
>
> Since we do not use gitbox yet: So this would result in e.g.
> github.com/apache/httpd-site and users can then choose to interact
> with github or gitbox.a.o, right?

Yep.

>> migrating the site (and using pelican/jbake/hugo??) is done also
>> self-serve-y via .asf.yaml - s.apache.org/asfyaml
>
> A lot of info there, I see the pelican config stuff but can you give a
> hint about the migration aspect there?

The migration would largely just happen automatically once .asf.yaml is
in place and working. There is some httpd docs aliasing that infra needs
to figure out, but that's tangential to this.
Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 18, 2021, at 5:35 AM, Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:
>
> ?On 18/06/2021 14.33, Eric Covener wrote:

>>> repo request is done via selfserve.apache.org
>> Since we do not use gitbox yet: So this would result in e.g.
>> github.com/apache/httpd-site and users can then choose to interact
>> with github or gitbox.a.o, right?
>
> Yep.

The repository is already created.

>>> migrating the site (and using pelican/jbake/hugo??) is done also
>>> self-serve-y via .asf.yaml - s.apache.org/asfyaml
>> A lot of info there, I see the pelican config stuff but can you give a
>> hint about the migration aspect there?
>
> The migration would largely just happen automatically once .asf.yaml is in place and working. There is some httpd docs aliasing that infra needs to figure out, but that's tangential to this.

Your whole approach to the security pages will need to change. You will need to produce the html as a separate step.

Also the mdtext files need to be converted to md with a manual review in order to catch the discrepancies between the CMS’s flavor of markdown and the GFM.

Regards,
Dave
Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
Hi, Eric:

Yes, committers can use either GitHub or Gitbox.

I am not sure what the "can you give a hint about the migration aspect"
means. Maybe I was not clear. We have to move all projects off the Apache
CMS and to some other technology, such as Pelican. Infra can help with that
move to a Git repository. Sometime this summer the Apache CMS will stop
functioning, which would mean you would have a hard time updating your
website.

Please write more if I am not understanding your question.

Andrew

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 3:25 PM Andrew Wetmore <andreww@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi, Eric:
>
> Yes, committers can use either GitHub or Gitbox.
>
> I am not sure what the "can you give a hint about the migration aspect" means. Maybe I was not clear. We have to move all projects off the Apache CMS and to some other technology, such as Pelican. Infra can help with that move to a Git repository. Sometime this summer the Apache CMS will stop functioning, which would mean you would have a hard time updating your website.

I was referring to "...migration process available that could speed
things along." not the overall migration off the CMS.
Daniel referred to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features
but I didn't find any reference to "migration".

https://github.com/apache/httpd-site was created but it's empty. I
was assuming we'd have some starting point based on the CMS-based site
content and whatever additional template/scaffolding is needed that
we'd be able to see w/o replacing our currently published site.
I don't want anyone to start from scratch if there's a better way to
get started.
Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
> On Jun 21, 2021, at 6:26 AM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 3:25 PM Andrew Wetmore <andreww@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Eric:
>>
>> Yes, committers can use either GitHub or Gitbox.
>>
>> I am not sure what the "can you give a hint about the migration aspect" means. Maybe I was not clear. We have to move all projects off the Apache CMS and to some other technology, such as Pelican. Infra can help with that move to a Git repository. Sometime this summer the Apache CMS will stop functioning, which would mean you would have a hard time updating your website.
>
> I was referring to "...migration process available that could speed
> things along." not the overall migration off the CMS.
> Daniel referred to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Git+-+.asf.yaml+features
> but I didn't find any reference to "migration".
>
> https://github.com/apache/httpd-site was created but it's empty. I
> was assuming we'd have some starting point based on the CMS-based site
> content and whatever additional template/scaffolding is needed that
> we'd be able to see w/o replacing our currently published site.
> I don't want anyone to start from scratch if there's a better way to
> get started.

I have the go ahead to do the migration for you. The goal is to create a staged site that will be nearly identical to your current site.

Expect more information this week.

All The Best,
Dave
Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
The Migration from CMS to ASF-Pelican is staged!

https://httpd.staged.apache.org/ is ready.

https://github.com/apache/httpd-site/

See the README on GitHub for details.

All The Best,
Dave

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
FYI -

The regeneration of vulnerability reports is now a manual exercise. On review with Infra it was decided that running arbitrary shell scripts during a pelican build is a security risk.

All the best,
Dave

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
Hi -

Greg and discussed this situation further and I misinterpreted a comment.

I reverted this change.

Regards,
Dave

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
I spot checked and it looked good to me. Thanks Dave!

Can anyone else review please so we can cut over and get off the naughty list?

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com
Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
<whispers>Nobody ever really gets off the naughty list...</whispers>

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
> On Jun 28, 2021, at 10:40 AM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I spot checked and it looked good to me. Thanks Dave!

You’re welcome! My pleasure!

> Can anyone else review please so we can cut over and get off the naughty list?

Let me know and I’ll make the changes it will take a few minutes.

All the best,
Dave

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
Hi Dave,

Thanks for having done it.

You did faster and better than what I had started.

Here are a few details spotted here and there:
   - The download page looks broken
     (https://httpd.staged.apache.org/download.cgi)

   - some '&' have been turned into &amp;
     (https://httpd.staged.apache.org/dev/debugging.htmll#gcore)

   - some extra spaces in a command (around the use of awk)
(https://httpd.staged.apache.org/dev/release.html#how-to-do-a-release)

   - a bold string left with **
     (https://httpd.staged.apache.org/dev/styleguide.html)

   - a link that is left as [foo](bar) instead of an hypertext link
     (at the very bottom of https://httpd.staged.apache.org/contributors/)

Only the first point is an issue. It is maybe linked to the fact that it
is in staging?

I guess that all the other tiny things could be fixed easily but don't
have time to look at it by myself in the coming days/weeks.

I don't know if you hand modified a few things, but several places looks
better now (some spacing between paragraphs which are smaller now, some
alignment, some missing spaces between words that have been fixed, some
numbering that were broken and fixed now, some links that have been
added for URL or mails). So, great work!

Thanks a lot.

CJ

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
Hi -

> On Jun 29, 2021, at 1:17 PM, Marion & Christophe JAILLET <christophe.jaillet@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for having done it.
>
> You did faster and better than what I had started.
>

> Here are a few details spotted here and there:
> - The download page looks broken
> (https://httpd.staged.apache.org/download.cgi)

This is due to the staging environment not picking up the production pickup of cgi to mirror mapping into the download.html template.

> - some '&' have been turned into &amp;
> (https://httpd.staged.apache.org/dev/debugging.htmll#gcore)

Fixed by switching from ``` fenced code to <pre>

> - some extra spaces in a command (around the use of awk)
> (https://httpd.staged.apache.org/dev/release.html#how-to-do-a-release)

Removed. BTW - this page and associated scripts need to be edited to reflect the website being git based.

> - a bold string left with **
> (https://httpd.staged.apache.org/dev/styleguide.html)

Good catch Github Flavored Markdown (GFM) does not like spaces for emphasis. If you want to do bold italic: it’s ‘**_word_**'

> - a link that is left as [foo](bar) instead of an hypertext link
> (at the very bottom of https://httpd.staged.apache.org/contributors/)

Also GFM does not do any markdown within HTML blocks. I switched from <H3> to ### heading.

> Only the first point is an issue. It is maybe linked to the fact that it is in staging?

Yes.

> I guess that all the other tiny things could be fixed easily but don't have time to look at it by myself in the coming days/weeks.
>

> I don't know if you hand modified a few things, but several places looks better now (some spacing between paragraphs which are smaller now, some alignment, some missing spaces between words that have been fixed, some numbering that were broken and fixed now, some links that have been added for URL or mails). So, great work!

There were a few tweaks to obviously broken content. URLs and emails are automatically turned to hyperlinks by GFM.

> Thanks a lot.

You’re welcome.

Dave

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
On 6/29/21 11:23 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi -
>
>> On Jun 29, 2021, at 1:17 PM, Marion & Christophe JAILLET <christophe.jaillet@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>>

>> - some extra spaces in a command (around the use of awk)
>> (https://httpd.staged.apache.org/dev/release.html#how-to-do-a-release)
>
> Removed. BTW - this page and associated scripts need to be edited to reflect the website being git based.

I guess he talks about

# Get the tooling
svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/trunk/tools tools

I think we should find a new location for this as this is not really site related.
How about

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/dev-tools/trunk

(svn mv https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/trunk/tools https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/dev-tools/trunk)

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 29, 2021, at 11:50 PM, Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org> wrote:
>
> ?
>
>> On 6/29/21 11:23 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Hi -

>>> - some extra spaces in a command (around the use of awk)
>>> (https://httpd.staged.apache.org/dev/release.html#how-to-do-a-release)
>>
>> Removed. BTW - this page and associated scripts need to be edited to reflect the website being git based.
>>

> I guess he talks about
>
> # Get the tooling
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/trunk/tools tools
>
> I think we should find a new location for this as this is not really site related.
> How about
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/dev-tools/trunk
>
> (svn mv https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/trunk/tools https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/dev-tools/trunk)

That’s the first part.

Then scripts like announce.sh need to be modified.

Regards,
Dave

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 1:50 AM Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org> wrote:

> I guess he talks about
>
> # Get the tooling
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/trunk/tools tools
>
> I think we should find a new location for this as this is not really site
> related.
> How about
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/dev-tools/trunk
>
> (svn mv https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/trunk/tools
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/dev-tools/trunk)

If we don't intend to make *releases* of these tools, then I recommend
dropping "trunk", and just call it .../httpd/dev-tools/

IMO, trunk/tags/branches ("TTB") should only be used in relation to
artifacts that will be packaged/released by the Foundation.

Cheers,
-g
Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
I see that there is already a PR to fix the modules hyperlink.

Should this be applied and the ASF Pelican version of httpd.apache.org be put into production in 24 hours?

HTH,
Dave

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
Le 01/07/2021 à 18:37, Dave Fisher a écrit :
> I see that there is already a PR to fix the modules hyperlink. Should this be applied

From my point of view, no.
But /modules/ needs some clean-up.

> and the ASF Pelican version of httpd.apache.org be put into production in 24 hours?

Still, from my point of view, +1.

CJ

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
On 7/1/21 10:49 PM, Christophe JAILLET wrote:
> Le 01/07/2021 à 18:37, Dave Fisher a écrit :
>> I see that there is already a PR to fix the modules hyperlink. Should this be applied
>
> From my point of view, no.
> But /modules/ needs some clean-up.
>
>> and the ASF Pelican version of httpd.apache.org be put into production in 24 hours?
>
> Still, from my point of view, +1.

+1

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
> On Jul 1, 2021, at 11:40 PM, Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org> wrote:
>

> On 7/1/21 10:49 PM, Christophe JAILLET wrote:
>> Le 01/07/2021 à 18:37, Dave Fisher a écrit :
>>> I see that there is already a PR to fix the modules hyperlink. Should this be applied
>>
>> From my point of view, no.
>> But /modules/ needs some clean-up.
>>
>>> and the ASF Pelican version of httpd.apache.org be put into production in 24 hours?
>>
>> Still, from my point of view, +1.
>
> +1

The migrated httpd-site is now in production. Enjoy!

Regards,
Dave

Re: migration of the HTTPD project website [ In reply to ]
On 6/30/21 11:40 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 1:50 AM Ruediger Pluem <rpluem@apache.org <mailto:rpluem@apache.org>> wrote:
>
> I guess he talks about
>
> # Get the tooling
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/trunk/tools tools
>
> I think we should find a new location for this as this is not really site related.
> How about
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/dev-tools/trunk
>
> (svn mv https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/trunk/tools https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/dev-tools/trunk)
>

> If we don't intend to make *releases* of these tools, then I recommend dropping "trunk", and just call it .../httpd/dev-tools/
>
> IMO, trunk/tags/branches ("TTB") should only be used in relation to artifacts that will be packaged/released by the Foundation.

I don't think that we want to release them. I am fine with omitting trunk from the path. Anyone objected to

svn mv https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/site/trunk/tools https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/dev-tools/

?

Regards

Rüdiger