Mailing List Archive

apache 0.8.13-14 (fwd)
Rob ?

Forwarded message:

Re: apache 0.8.13-14 (fwd) [ In reply to ]
> And the 1000 dollar question , in some case I need to run apache as a non
> spawning sigle process , I understand the -X does that, will it behave
> like the old 0.6.5 (NCSA) or are there any catches ?

Well, -X will indeed make it behave as a "non-spawning single process",
but this is *not* what the old Apache versions used to do --- rather, they
spawned a new process per connection. -X will also keep the server from
properly reconfiguring itself on receipt of a SIGHUP, and will, of course,
make the server single-threaded (meaning that only one request can be
serviced at a time, and everyone else waits for a slow client). In all,
running a real server in this mode is *not* recommended --- it is strictly
for debugging.

Setting MinSpareServers and MaxSpareServers to one and two respectively should
get behavior fairly close to the old server --- there still will be a very few
child processes hanging around, but not enough to matter (they are quite
small).

rst