Mailing List Archive

linux virtual host (fwd)
Aram ?

Forwarded message:

Re: linux virtual host (fwd) [ In reply to ]

> Aram ?

Betcha his "virtual hosts" are just alternate names for 127.0.0.1.

--
Ben Laurie Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
Freelance Consultant Fax: +44 (181) 994 6472

[.Note for the paranoid: "fear" as in "Fear and Loathing
in Las Vegas", "demon" as in Demon Internet Services, a
commercial Internet access provider.]
Re: linux virtual host (fwd) [ In reply to ]
I'll check into it.

<Aram>

Re: linux virtual host (fwd) [ In reply to ]
At 08:07 AM 9/19/95 +0100, you wrote:

>Betcha his "virtual hosts" are just alternate names for 127.0.0.1.

That was exactly his problem. I pointed him to the linux-apache pages
on hyperreal. Thanks for the pointer Ben.

<Aram>
Re: linux virtual host (fwd) [ In reply to ]
On Sep 19, 8:07am, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Subject: Re: linux virtual host (fwd)
> >
> > Aram ?

[...]
> > > I'm running linux kernel 1.2.12 and I got apache installed.
> > > Using netscape as 1.1N as my browser. Oh yah, my linux is a stand alone
> > > pc sitting in my room not connected to network or internet.
> > >
> > > Ok, netscape can access my virtual hosts..no problem.
> > > However, netscape can only access documents from the last entry of
> > > virtual host in httpd.conf
> > > My httpd/logs show that only one virtual host documents are being access.
> > > Eventhough both virtual hosts respond...only one virtual host is sending
> > > out documents. Is this a bug or does apache not work properly on stand
> > > alone pc?
[...]
> Betcha his "virtual hosts" are just alternate names for 127.0.0.1.

I'm having similar weirdness with an Irix 5.3 box that has 5 VirtualHosts.
Two of them work just fine. The other ones ask for authentication and
then all I can get are pages containing no data. The access logs don't
record any hits after I authenticate, nor do the error logs show any
signs that something is broken.

The setup I'm using is a single httpd.conf without an srm.conf or an
access.conf (though they are both defined as /dev/null). It's set up
that way because I have two VirtualHosts that are serving the same
document tree, just with different authentication requirements. My
VirtualHosts are ppp interfaces.

The weird thing is that I was sure it was working last night at around
8, so I went out to catch a movie, and of course it wasn't working when
I got back. That's what I get for leaving work once in a while. Maybe
I'm just losing it.

Sean
Re: linux virtual host (fwd) [ In reply to ]
On Sep 19, 9:35am, Sean N. Welch wrote:
> Subject: Re: linux virtual host (fwd)
[...]
> I'm having similar weirdness with an Irix 5.3 box that has 5 VirtualHosts.
> Two of them work just fine. The other ones ask for authentication and
> then all I can get are pages containing no data. The access logs don't
> record any hits after I authenticate, nor do the error logs show any
> signs that something is broken.
>
> The setup I'm using is a single httpd.conf without an srm.conf or an
> access.conf (though they are both defined as /dev/null). It's set up
> that way because I have two VirtualHosts that are serving the same
> document tree, just with different authentication requirements. My
> VirtualHosts are ppp interfaces.

OK, back to square one. I've commented out everything in the unhappy
VirtualHost definitions except for ServerName, DocumentRoot, and the
various log files, and I'm getting pages again. I'm going to go through
a few lines at a time uncommenting things until I have a better idea as
to what I'm doing wrong. I'll let you know if it turns out to be the
least bit interesting.

Sean