Mailing List Archive

JAVA (was Re: Suggestion: Associate file types with processors for CGI (fwd))

> I attended a demonstration of Java yesterday, given by some folks from
> the local Sun offices. It all looked very impressive.
>
> The sun official said that Netscape had announced Java support for
> an upcoming Windoze Netscape. There was no mention of unix ports, and
> I got the impression that nobody was working on a unix java browser
> (I know about HotJava, but that's limited to Solaris AFAIK *).
>
> It could be that we're heading for a huge "have/have not" split on the web.
> Us poor folks who use real computers (and who probably do most of the work :-)
> will not be able to exploit Java or make use of it.

There are several JAVA ports in the works by people other than Sun.
Once the ports are completed, presumably HotJava will run on other
Unix platforms. If you are running on an unpopular platform you may
be SOL, unless you port the JAVA interpreter yourself.

--
Elizabeth(Beth) Frank
NCSA Server Development Team
Re: JAVA [ In reply to ]
> > There are several JAVA ports in the works by people other than Sun.
> > Once the ports are completed, presumably HotJava will run on other
> > Unix platforms. If you are running on an unpopular platform you may
> > be SOL, unless you port the JAVA interpreter yourself.
>
> SOL ? sold out looser ?
>
> this is one TLA I don't know
>
> --
> http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/
>
> (TLA = three letter abbreviation)

Sorry, it was popular in my college days.

S--- Out of Luck or Scr----d and Out of Luck aka "up a creek with out a paddle".
It's from a time when acronyms were created out of the main words of
a phrase, instead of every word.

Re: JAVA (was Re: Suggestion: Associate file types with processors for CGI (fwd)) [ In reply to ]