I'll move it into place and update the links if it's okay with y'all

?

rob
Re: put 0.8.13 in the public dir ? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> I don't remember seeing any objections to making 0.8.13 public.
>
> I'll move it into place and update the links if it's okay with y'all

+1

I think there are enough bug fixes with this and 8.12 that it's worth
making public.

BTW, this weekend I visited comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix for the
first time (I don't have regular usenet access from work yet) and was
delighted to see not only that Apache was the subject of just about every
other thread, but also that any posts with Apache problems/bugs/concerns
had a reply by Rob Hartill after it. Way to go Rob! We should all be
spending more time there.

So, what's left on the plate until 1.0?

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: put 0.8.13 in the public dir ? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Aram W. Mirzadeh wrote:
> I for one would like to see more advantages for Apache than NCSA.
> Right now, we're complient, and we do almost everything that NCSA
> does. I would like to be able to say Apache can do xxxx where NCSA
> can't, or their's is not available yet. I'm not sure what yet, but that would
> be the best thing for us.

We should avoid comparitive advertising in our documentation, in my opinion.
That said, I would support moving to make Apache support more of the 1.4 and
1.5 directives (sans the experimental stuff like kerberos) and keeping the
"compatibility notes" page as lightweight as possible.

Re: put 0.8.13 in the public dir ? [ In reply to ]
At 11:35 AM 9/11/95 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
>> I don't remember seeing any objections to making 0.8.13 public.
>>
>> I'll move it into place and update the links if it's okay with y'all
>
>+1
>
>I think there are enough bug fixes with this and 8.12 that it's worth
>making public.
>
>BTW, this weekend I visited comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix for the
>first time (I don't have regular usenet access from work yet) and was
>delighted to see not only that Apache was the subject of just about every
>other thread, but also that any posts with Apache problems/bugs/concerns
>had a reply by Rob Hartill after it. Way to go Rob! We should all be
>spending more time there.

As soon as I figure out who to get INN to upload my message with Linux.
Any volunteers? :)

>So, what's left on the plate until 1.0?

I for one would like to see more advantages for Apache than NCSA.
Right now, we're complient, and we do almost everything that NCSA
does. I would like to be able to say Apache can do xxxx where NCSA
can't, or their's is not available yet. I'm not sure what yet, but that would
be the best thing for us.

Just my $0.02.

<Aram>
Re: put 0.8.13 in the public dir ? [ In reply to ]
Brian Behlendorf writes:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Aram W. Mirzadeh wrote:

> > I for one would like to see more advantages for Apache than NCSA.
> > Right now, we're complient, and we do almost everything that NCSA
> > does. I would like to be able to say Apache can do xxxx where
> > NCSA can't, or their's is not available yet. I'm not sure what
> > yet, but that would be the best thing for us.
>
> We should avoid comparitive advertising in our documentation, in my opinion.
> That said, I would support moving to make Apache support more of the 1.4 and
> 1.5 directives (sans the experimental stuff like kerberos) and keeping the
> "compatibility notes" page as lightweight as possible.

While I havent spoken before on this list, I agree with Brian and
think that working on NCSA 1.5 features, like connection KeepAlive,
Kerberos, etc would be a good idea. I'd prefer not to have to decide
between the feature sets of both servers - I'd love to see them all
available in Apache.

--
Ryan L. Watkins email: vamp@dnx.com
HTML Hacker / System Admin url: http://www.dnx.com/vamp/vamp.html
Re: put 0.8.13 in the public dir ? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Ryan Watkins wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf writes:
> >
> > We should avoid comparitive advertising in our documentation, in my opinion.
> > That said, I would support moving to make Apache support more of the 1.4 and
> > 1.5 directives (sans the experimental stuff like kerberos) and keeping the
> > "compatibility notes" page as lightweight as possible.
>
> While I havent spoken before on this list, I agree with Brian and
> think that working on NCSA 1.5 features, like connection KeepAlive,
> Kerberos, etc would be a good idea. I'd prefer not to have to decide
> between the feature sets of both servers - I'd love to see them all
> available in Apache.

Actually I was arguing that we don't need them before 1.0... they are still
experimental enough in my book that they can be safely left for later. Let's
keep linting out bugs, enhancing the documentation, and making it more
stable, and get a 1.0 out in the next couple of weeks.

Re: put 0.8.13 in the public dir ? [ In reply to ]
Brian Behlendorf writes:

> > While I havent spoken before on this list, I agree with Brian and
> > think that working on NCSA 1.5 features, like connection KeepAlive,
> > Kerberos, etc would be a good idea. I'd prefer not to have to decide
> > between the feature sets of both servers - I'd love to see them all
> > available in Apache.
>
> Actually I was arguing that we don't need them before 1.0... they are still
> experimental enough in my book that they can be safely left for
> later.

True, these are definately things for a future new features version
after 1.0, but I just wanted to suggest that of the things to add,
NCSA 1.5 features would probably top my list.

Re: put 0.8.13 in the public dir ? [ In reply to ]
0.8.13 is go.