Once we decide on the contents of this page, we should create
a CREDITS page to go in the source.

The file is writeable by all group members....
Re: Credits [ In reply to ]
> I have placed a first cut of a CREDITS page on hyperreal.
> http://www.apache.org/credits
>
> I think that we need to get this out there ASAP since we
> are seeing a lot of sign that commercial organizations are
> looking seriously at Apache. It would be nice if RST and
> others were getting some credit for their contributions.
>
> If your name should have been on this list, don't shoot me.
> I blame my forgetfulness on years of self abuse.
>
> Once we decide on the contents of this page, we should create
> a CREDITS page to go in the source.
>
> The file is writeable by all group members....

Mmm, devisive bullshit? Please, noone put my name on this list
no matter how many damn patches I give up in the future.

Cheers,
Ay.
Re: Credits [ In reply to ]
> I have placed a first cut of a CREDITS page on hyperreal.
> http://www.apache.org/credits

I think we're going to get into the realms of bad diplomacy
again on this, as happened when Brian tried a similar thing before.

Often a summary of someone's contribution(s) won't do justice to
the work involved, and code/idea contributions will overlap, making
it difficult to attribute credit.

If people want recognition, put it in the documentation relating to
the section(s) for which recognition is sought.

And of course, you can write whatever you want on your resume
and homepage :-)

+0 on the credits page as it stands

rob
Re: Credits [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 8 Sep 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > I have placed a first cut of a CREDITS page on hyperreal.
> > http://www.apache.org/credits
>
> I think we're going to get into the realms of bad diplomacy
> again on this, as happened when Brian tried a similar thing before.

Not even good diplomacy could help, methinks :)

So many people have contributed so much that having *one* person assemble
this info is impossible. However, I think it would be totally appropriate to
allow members to add their own idea of what credit they want to claim to
members/index.html - I trust every member to not claim credit for something
they didn't do, and if one person is a little more enumerative than another I
don't care. In fact a separate "Contributions" field might be in order.

If you want something listed under Contributions let me know, and I'll
put it there.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: Credits [ In reply to ]
For some reason, I seem to see this issue a bit differently... I don't
see why it should be impossible to put together a proper credits file for
Apache (NCSA has one, for Pete's sake!). However, Brian's idea of how to
assemble it (people listing their own contributions) is probably the best
way to do it, to avoid bruised feelings and recriminations...

rst
Re: Credits [ In reply to ]

> For some reason, I seem to see this issue a bit differently... I don't
> see why it should be impossible to put together a proper credits file for
> Apache (NCSA has one, for Pete's sake!). However, Brian's idea of how to
> assemble it (people listing their own contributions) is probably the best
> way to do it, to avoid bruised feelings and recriminations...

In FreeBSD we have a simple contributers file, which lists everyone who
has contributed anything, however, major or minor to the project. I
think something similar wouldn't be too much of a problem. You get into
trouble when you try to attribute different degrees of commitment, I think
that would be a big mistake. Just list everyone who has contributed
anything to the project, it helps to show that it's a broad group of
people who are involved.

--
Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)