Mailing List Archive

Linux Virtual Homes -fixed
Okay, here it is, the fix:

Linux Virtual Home Page HOWTO:

i) Get linux kernel 1.2.x ( >=5 recommended) and compile with the
following options:

CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
# CONFIG_DUMMY is not set ( say no when configuring )

ii) make dep ; make zImage ; make modules ; make modules_install

iii) cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz

iv) rdev -R /vmlinuz 1 ; lilo

v) reboot system

vi) insmod -o dummy0 /lib/modules/1.2.x/net/dummy.o

vii) ifconfig dummy0 200.200.200.50 up

NOTE: Make sure the IP address you choice is a valid one, and not
being used.

viii) arp -s <ethernet address> 200.200.200.50
netmask 255.255.255.255 pub

NOTE: the ethernet address of your ethernet card can be found if you
type ifconfig eth0. First line, there are 6 hex numbers sepearted
by ':'. Use that.

ix) route add 200.200.200.50 dummy0

x) Add <virtual host 200.200.200.50> ..... < /virtualhost>
to your httpd.conf file.

xi) Add 200.200.200.50 to your /etc/hosts or DNS database files.

xii) Repeat from process one with dummy1 if so desired.

Is anyone keeping a HOWTO file? Please sent to it, so I can change the
above into the normal format that has been used.

Thanx.

<Aram>

P.S. The important thing was the 'netmask' variable on the arp line.
Re: Linux Virtual Homes -fixed [ In reply to ]

awm@qosina.com
awm@liii.com ( That's 3 i's)
http://www.qosina.com/~awm/

Re: Linux Virtual Homes -fixed [ In reply to ]