Mailing List Archive

Linux problem - no response
Forwarded message:

Re: Linux problem - no response [ In reply to ]
At 12:37 PM 8/22/95 EDT, you wrote:
>One note --- if this is 0.8.10, it implies something *other* than lock
>file problems as the cause of the hangups (NB that Linux does have lock
>exclusion compiled in for the moment, as I had conflicting reports about
>whether it was needed or not when I first wrote the locks-around-accept()
>code, and decided to play it safe). It would be interesting to attach
>to one of the child processes with gdb and see what they think they're
>doing...

Give me a step by step, and I'll get you the output. As I said in my last
message
the regular system works fine. You can check this with http://www.qosina.com
but the virtual doesn't this is at http://206.64.187.60. It just sits
there. If you
telnet to the port, it does respond though.

<Aram>

Re: Linux problem - no response [ In reply to ]
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 13:14:58 -0400
From: "Aram W. Mirzadeh" <awm@qosina.com>

Give me a step by step, and I'll get you the output.

OK... find the pid of a blocked process (I'm not sure what style of ps
Linux boxes generally come with, but looking for the pid of the server
root process, and grepping the output of a full ps (all processes on
the sytem) looking for those with that number as pid or ppid works for
me --- on SunOS, this is "ps alx | grep <root-pid>").

Once you've identified a process (root or child) which you'd like to
debug, do

% gdb httpd

From within gdb, say

(gdb) attach <pid>

where <pid> is the pid of the process in question. Assuming that
attaching to processes works under Linux, you should then be able to
get a backtrace, examine variables, set breakpoints, etc., with the
usual gdb commands (gdb has a fairly extensive help system; at any
rate, "where" gets a backtrace).

When you want to cut it loose, say "detach", or just quit out of gdb,
which will query for confirmation and then detach it automatically.

rst