e.g. I might want to send

Link: <mailto: www-admin@xxx.lanl.gov>; rel="Publisher"

etc, okay silly eample.

so that people who use HEAD to nose around other people's sites get
some useful information.

Roy doesn't have a problem with this idea, or at least not with the
"Link:" type of response.

rob
Re: for the wish list... [ In reply to ]
>e.g. I might want to send
>
>Link: <mailto: www-admin@xxx.lanl.gov>; rel="Publisher"
>
>etc, okay silly eample.

uh, yeah.

>so that people who use HEAD to nose around other people's sites get
>some useful information.
>
>Roy doesn't have a problem with this idea, or at least not with the
>"Link:" type of response.

Yeah, the latter. The other crud^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H example
is better as represented as

Link: </siteinfo.html>; rel="Publisher";
title="Los Alamos e-Print Archives, Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA"
URI: <http://ooo.lanl.gov/rocket_science.html>,<http://babbage.sissa.it/>

In theory, any header is okay, but we might as well use the
established forms for relationships and mirrors.

.....Roy
Re: for the wish list... [ In reply to ]
Re: for the wish list... [ In reply to ]
What's wrong with .asis?

Oh, you mean headers with every response that are constants in the
server? I don't see a use for it yet, but....

One could of course abuse the #define for SERVER_VERSION in httpd.h.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: for the wish list... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 10 Aug 1995, James Pitkow wrote:
> > A config option to set HTTP headers for Apache to send in addition
> > to others such as Server, Date,...
>
> This gets to the heart of the meta-information issue. The cool
> thing is that there are a whole bunch of core fields like author, title,
> etc. as well as other (potentially more interesting) areas like usage,
> replication, etc. This suggests that different levels of meta-information
> could be requested for differnt client-side views/tasks. If Apache
> does decide to start dumping extra headers (which could be managed
> with mSQL or as a seperate file), I suggest starting with the
> OCLC/NCSA Dublin Dozen [1] &/or the URC specification.

I think he was thinking of server-wide headers rather than document-specific,
but it should be noted that one can add document-specific headers now using
the .asis type. I would recommend keeping this to an absolute minimum, and
if there's actual metainformation available the client should find it out
using the URL2URC method on the server as a separate access. Just
thinking out loud.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: for the wish list... [ In reply to ]
> Oh, you mean headers with every response that are constants in the
> server? I don't see a use for it yet, but....

I often wish I could find a contact address in the HTTP headers, or
the name of the company/origanization.

> One could of course abuse the #define for SERVER_VERSION in httpd.h.

I don't think that'd catch on :-)
Re: for the wish list... [ In reply to ]
> I often wish I could find a contact address in the HTTP headers, or
> the name of the company/origanization.

I also wish I could type and spell.
Re: for the wish list... [ In reply to ]