Mailing List Archive

More .htaccess tomfoolery...(SIGSEGV BUG)
I just tried comparing NCSA 1.3R, Apache 0.6.5 and Apache 0.8.8
with different flavours of .htaccess file while POSTing to a
script with and without require'ments for authorization. As before
1.3R and 0.6.5 behave the same way, but veers between success
and really bad road-kill depending on what you throw at it.

A long list of tests follows, but briefly:

A) The .htaccess parsing code is causing a SIGSEGV when it
gets confused by funnies in the .htaccess file.

B) 0.8.8 really is exhibiting non-NCSA behaviour which Brian's
highlighted in his compatibility notes page on www.apache.org

Ay

--- cut here ---

1)

Apache 0.8.8

.htaccess =

<limit GET>
require user TIS
</limit>

AUTHORIZATION FAILURE [correct uid/passwd *IS* given!!]

2)

Apache 0.8.8

.htaccess =

<limit GET POST>
require user TIS
</limit>

POST ALLOWED, SCRIPT EXECUTES SUCCESSFULLY

3) --- tell me we can't have comments....

Apache 0.8.8

.htaccess =

<limit GET POST>
#require user TIS
</limit>

error_log =

[Tue Aug 8 23:07:36 1995] httpd: caught SIGSEGV, dumping core

4)

Apache 0.8.8

.htaccess =

<limit GET POST>
</limit>

error_log =

[Tue Aug 8 23:07:36 1995] httpd: caught SIGSEGV, dumping core

5)

NCSA 1.3R

.htaccess =

<limit GET POST>
require user TIS
</limit>

POST ALLOWED, SCRIPT EXECUTES SUCCESSFULLY

6)

NCSA 1.3R

.htaccess =

<limit GET POST>
#require user TIS
</limit>

POST ALLOWED, SCRIPT EXECUTES SUCCESSFULLY

7)

NCSA 1.3R

.htaccess =
<limit GET POST>
</limit>

POST ALLOWED, SCRIPT EXECUTES SUCCESSFULLY

8)

NCSA 1.3R

.htaccess =
<limit GET>
</limit>

POST ALLOWED, SCRIPT EXECUTES SUCCESSFULLY

9)

NCSA 1.3R

.htaccess =
<limit GET>
</limit>

POST ALLOWED, SCRIPT EXECUTES SUCCESSFULLY

10)

NCSA 1.3R

.htaccess =
<limit GET>
require user TIS
</limit>

POST ALLOWED, SCRIPT EXECUTES SUCCESSFULLY

11)

Apache 0.6.5

.htaccess =
<limit GET>
require user TIS
</limit>

POST ALLOWED, SCRIPT EXECUTES SUCCESSFULLY

12)

Apache 0.6.5

.htaccess =
<limit GET>
#require user TIS
</limit>

POST ALLOWED, SCRIPT EXECUTES SUCCESSFULLY

13)

Re: More .htaccess tomfoolery...(SIGSEGV BUG) [ In reply to ]
Andrew --- do you have auth configured for the directory? If so,
could you please apply the auth-dbm bug fix which I posted a while
ago and try again?

rst
Re: More .htaccess tomfoolery...(SIGSEGV BUG) [ In reply to ]
> Andrew --- do you have auth configured for the directory? If so,
> could you please apply the auth-dbm bug fix which I posted a while
> ago and try again?

Ah well, 0.8.8's mod_auth.c, check_user_access()

require_line *reqs = (require_line *)reqs_arr->elts;

register int x;
char *t, *w;
table *grpstatus;

becomes

require_line *reqs = reqs_arr ? (require_line *)reqs_arr->elts : NULL;

register int x;
char *t, *w;
table *grpstatus;

if (!reqs_arr) return DECLINED;

and error_log reports: ...

[Wed Aug 9 00:11:52 1995] httpd: caught SIGSEGV, dumping core

for a .htaccess of:

<limit GET POST>
#require user TIS
</limit>

wherein there are presumably no 'require'd elements.

Did I interpret the 'if (!reqs_arr) return DECLINED;' line correctly?

> rst

Ay (now going to bed at 1/4 past midnight)