seriously objects (IMHO, it's a much better idea than having anything
0.8.attainable-soon as our only current release).

rst
Re: Idea for release... [ In reply to ]
> So, an idea --- instead of replacing the current project page with
> Randy's new one immediately, put a *pointer* to it on the *current*
> home page, labeling it "beta release of new code base", or something
> like that; also, put caveats on the new page on status, and say that
> we anticipate further 0.8.x releases for bugfixes only, culminating in
> something we feel comfortable advertising (while beginning a new 0.9.x
> series of development releases culminating in a 1.0).

> I'm prepared to do this, and send an announcement, tomorrow if no one
> seriously objects (IMHO, it's a much better idea than having anything
> 0.8.attainable-soon as our only current release).

+1

I think enough outsiders have shown that they are prepared to
scavenge around to get a new Apache, and to hell with th consequences,
that we should at least make it easier to find, but with more
obvious WARNINGS posted on it.

rob
--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/
Re: Idea for release... [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 5 Aug 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> So, an idea --- instead of replacing the current project page with
> Randy's new one immediately, put a *pointer* to it on the *current*
> home page, labeling it "beta release of new code base", or something
> like that; also, put caveats on the new page on status, and say that
> we anticipate further 0.8.x releases for bugfixes only, culminating in
> something we feel comfortable advertising (while beginning a new 0.9.x
> series of development releases culminating in a 1.0).

In the interests of driving this boat into its harbor, I moved
0.8.8 (installed on both organic and hyperreal, 0.8.4 on links.net) and made
changes to the live pages, taking into account the discussion about the
pages earlier this week. I haven't had time to do complete
documentation, but the CHANGES file is HTML'ized and the API spec online
as well. I also economized the layout of the front page.

> I'm prepared to do this, and send an announcement, tomorrow if no one
> seriously objects (IMHO, it's a much better idea than having anything
> 0.8.attainable-soon as our only current release).

I think we're ready to make the announcement, barring any objection from
people who think we need more time to work on the documentation pages on
the web site. I nominate Rob Thau to make the announcements to the
mailing lists and Rob Hartill to post to USENET.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: Idea for release... [ In reply to ]
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 23:31:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

In the interests of driving this boat into its harbor, I moved
0.8.8 (installed on both organic and hyperreal, 0.8.4 on links.net) and made
changes to the live pages, taking into account the discussion about the
pages earlier this week. I haven't had time to do complete
documentation, but the CHANGES file is HTML'ized and the API spec online
as well. I also economized the layout of the front page.

Thank you. However, I think that making 0.8.8 the "current" release
may be a bit premature --- while what we've been going through the
last few weeks is the moral equivalent of a (badly run) beta test, I
don't think that beta is yet complete. So, I'd prefer to have 0.8.8
designated as a "beta" release, with people still pointed to 0.6.5 if
they want stable software (there aren't even any pointers to it on the
page).

Don't consider this a veto --- the status quo is livable, I'd just
prefer it to be clear that people who want something which is really
known stable *should* still get 0.6.5, and to have the pointers to it
more prominent.

I think we're ready to make the announcement, barring any objection from
people who think we need more time to work on the documentation pages on
the web site. I nominate Rob Thau to make the announcements to the
mailing lists and Rob Hartill to post to USENET.

Look, it's still a BETA --- the docs don't have to be perfect.

Re: announcements --- having two people make two different
announcements seems like unnecessary work. I'm happy to do it; I'm
happy to have Rob do it, but if either one of us writes one, the added
effort to send it out into the other forum is just about zero...

I nominate Rob H. ;-).

rst
Re: Idea for release... [ In reply to ]

> I see that 0.8.8 has now been released as the new version of Apache.
> I think there needs to be a 'bugs' page listing the known bugs and
> NCSA incompatibilties release. (#exec PATH_INFO stuff, Alias, #exec cgi
> strictness etc. etc.).

There's a known bugs page for 0.6.x

We can add to that.

I'll put in some blurb for it now.
Re: Idea for release... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> In the interests of driving this boat into its harbor, I moved
> 0.8.8 (installed on both organic and hyperreal, 0.8.4 on links.net) and made
> changes to the live pages, taking into account the discussion about the
> pages earlier this week. I haven't had time to do complete
> documentation, but the CHANGES file is HTML'ized and the API spec online
> as well. I also economized the layout of the front page.
>
> Thank you. However, I think that making 0.8.8 the "current" release
> may be a bit premature --- while what we've been going through the
> last few weeks is the moral equivalent of a (badly run) beta test, I
> don't think that beta is yet complete. So, I'd prefer to have 0.8.8
> designated as a "beta" release, with people still pointed to 0.6.5 if
> they want stable software (there aren't even any pointers to it on the
> page).

Did you read the text I put at the top of the home page? I think I made
those points clear. I'll add the word BETA a few more times though...

> I think we're ready to make the announcement, barring any objection from
> people who think we need more time to work on the documentation pages on
> the web site. I nominate Rob Thau to make the announcements to the
> mailing lists and Rob Hartill to post to USENET.
>
> Look, it's still a BETA --- the docs don't have to be perfect.

Agreed :)

> Re: announcements --- having two people make two different
> announcements seems like unnecessary work. I'm happy to do it; I'm
> happy to have Rob do it, but if either one of us writes one, the added
> effort to send it out into the other forum is just about zero...
>
> I nominate Rob H. ;-).

I didn't think there'd be two separately written announcements, just
thought it would be good to split up the work and fame :)

Re: Idea for release... [ In reply to ]

Rst wrote:
> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 23:31:56 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>
>
> In the interests of driving this boat into its harbor, I moved
> 0.8.8 (installed on both organic and hyperreal, 0.8.4 on links.net) and
> made changes to the live pages,...
>
>Thank you. However, I think that making 0.8.8 the "current" release
>may be a bit premature --- while what we've been going through the
>last few weeks is the moral equivalent of a (badly run) beta test, I
>don't think that beta is yet complete. So, I'd prefer to have 0.8.8
>designated as a "beta" release, with people still pointed to 0.6.5 if
>they want stable software (there aren't even any pointers to it on the
>page).

Me too.

David.