Mailing List Archive

Re: Is Apache 0.8.6 official? [Rob Hartill <hartill@lanl.gov>] (fwd)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 95 15:04:30 -0600
Sender: hartill@lanl.gov
From: Rob Hartill <hartill@lanl.gov>
To: djh@wcl.bham.ac.uk, new-httpd@mail.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is Apache 0.8.6 official?

djh@wcl-rs.bham.ac.uk (GamesDomain maintainer) wrote:

>I've downloaded version 0.8.6 and compiled it, but it fails to work
>correctly with my setup. I tried to read the documentation but it all
>refers to 0.6.4(.5). Does this mean that it is still unofficial and that I
>should wait a while before attempting to use it?
>
>The problem I'm suffering seems to be with the Alias command. All of my
>site is Aliased from http://.../~djh/index.html to http://.../GamesDomain
>with the following commands:
>
> Alias /GamesDomain/ /u/djh/public_html/
>
>and
>
> Alias /GamesDomain /u/djh/public_html/
>
>This worked fine with 0.6.5 but with 0.8.6 it just displays the main root
>index (i.e. http://.../index.html).
>
>Am I missing something obvious or is there a problem here?
>
>(I will post if I figure this out!)
>
>TIA

thanks Dave.

-=-=-=

To Apache list,

I've just confirmed this.

Alias /Foobar /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/Announce/

Works with for /Foobar/ but not /Foobar

Probably needs fixing before a release.

rob
--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/
Re: Is Apache 0.8.6 official? [Rob Hartill <hartill@lanl.gov>] (fwd) [ In reply to ]
I've just confirmed this.

Alias /Foobar /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/Announce/

Works with for /Foobar/ but not /Foobar

Probably needs fixing before a release.

Rob... I have to admit I'm a bit burned out from trying to push this thing
out the door for more than a week, but, to reiterate..

1) The first release will be a BETA
2) It will inevitably have bugs

and of course,

3) We will have to fix those bugs fairly quickly --- discovering them
so they can be fixed is the point of a beta release.

I think that if this is the worst bug present in 0.8.7 we can probably
breathe a sigh of relief, and I personally don't feel like treating it
as a showstopper. If I get a simple, clean, and obviously correct fix
for it over the weekend, I could see spinning another micro-release
(which would probably clean up the SunOS/GNUC conf.h stuff as well, at
least a bit), however, I'm simply too burned out to produce one soon,
and I am comfortable releasing as is...

rst