Mailing List Archive

Yet another new Apache spin...
I've just put a candidate build of 0.8.6 on hyperreal, compressed and
gzipped.

The only substantial difference between this and 0.8.5 is that the
Netscape reload workaround is gone, in favor of the *real* fix for
Cliff's friend's problem with CERN caches (which Rob scooped me on
last night --- we came up with the same fix, byte for byte. Grump).

I also made httpd -v not call itself "Shambhala", and made a minor
SunOS-specific portability fix to conf.h. (These were both minor
problems which were reported to me in private email after 0.8.5 was
built; I promised they'd be fixed in the next spin if there was one,
and, well... here it is. I'm hoping they don't give anyone
conniptions).

So, on to the next fire alarm. The complete list of changes, for the
record, is:

*) Deleted Netscape reload workaround --- it's in violation of HTTP specs.
(If you actually wanted a conditional GET which bypassed the cache, you
couldn't get it). [Reported by Roy Fielding]

*) Properly terminate headers on '304 Not Modified' replies to conditional
GETs --- no browser we can find cares much, but the CERN proxy chokes.
[Reported by Cliff Skolnick; fix discovered independently by Rob Hartill]

*) httpd -v doesn't call itself "Shambhala". [Reported by Chuck Murcko]

*) SunOS lib-function prototypes in conf.h conditionalized on __GNUC__,
not __SUNPRO_C (they're needed to quiet gcc -Wall, but acc chokes on 'em,
and older versions don't set the __SUNPRO_C preprocessor variable). On
all other systems, these are never used anyway. [Reported by Mark Cox].