Mailing List Archive

[mgoulde@psgroup.com: Background on Apache]
A reporter forwarded me a request for general project info. I pointed
him at the Web site, and also offered to write up a few paragraphs on
general project background and future directions. Would anyone object
much if I sent him something like this:

Briefly, we're a group of webmasters with busy servers to manage, who
are trying to produce a server which meets our own needs, and
hopefully those of others. (For instance, the DBM authentication code
was originally written for HotWired, which has a *very* large
authentication database to manage, and has subsequently been used by
other people with similar problems).

Likewise, our multi-hosting capability is there because many members
of the group are ISPs who use it.

Our current working code, hopefully out in the next week or two, is an
upward-compatible with the current release, but it's something of a
refit internally. The major new feature is an API for extensions to
the server functionality --- in fact, in the new release, most of the
server's features (DBM authentication, and even CGI) are actually
implemented as plug-in modules according to the API. The API is quite
flexible; one group member, for instance, has a module which uses the
"cookie" feature of the Netscape browser to track and log click-trails
of users who use the Netscape client. (We'll be shipping this as an
optional module with the new release).

------ The original request follows: ---------

I am researching an article for my company's publication, "Open Information
Systems". The subject of the article is web servers.

Could you please point me to some background information on Apache?

TIA

--------------------------
Michael Goulde
Editor in Chief
Patricia Seybold Group
148 State Street
Boston, MA 02109

Voice: 617.742-5200
Fax: 617.742-1028

Re: [mgoulde@psgroup.com: Background on Apache] [ In reply to ]
> A reporter forwarded me a request for general project info. I pointed
> him at the Web site, and also offered to write up a few paragraphs on
> general project background and future directions. Would anyone object
> much if I sent him something like this:

No objection.