Mailing List Archive

Things I'd like before first ship...
A few things I really would like to see before first release, if
anyone has a little free time (ha!):

*) A configuration script which allows people to pick and choose
optional modules. (This would have to rewrite modules.c, which is
trivial --- basically, two copies of the list of configured modules
in slightly different formats. It would also have to arrange for
the right set of mod_*.o files to be built by the Makefile; that
would be somewhat easier if we can count on any reasonable make to
support the same sort of 'include' directive, but BSDI appears to
insist on being the odd man out *again*, so it looks like rewriting
the Makefile is the only way for it to work. Shell and awk are
probably the tools of choice --- *old* awk).

*) An optional module which emulated the NCSA 1.4.x UserAgentLog and
RefererLog. Yeah, you don't want them, I don't want them, but I
*do* want people to be able to drop us in in place of NCSA.

*) More cross-platform testing. Right now, I know of people who have
run the server and reported bugs on the following platforms:
SunOS, Linux, HP-UX, NetBSD, BSDI. I know of someone who's trying
Solaris, but no reports of how well it works yet. I'd like to know
that it's working OK on those systems; also, would it be possible
for someone to try, say, IRIX?

Oh, well. On to Real Work.

rst
Re: Things I'd like before first ship... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 10 Jul 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> *) A configuration script which allows people to pick and choose
> optional modules. (This would have to rewrite modules.c, which is
> trivial --- basically, two copies of the list of configured modules
> in slightly different formats. It would also have to arrange for
> the right set of mod_*.o files to be built by the Makefile; that
> would be somewhat easier if we can count on any reasonable make to
> support the same sort of 'include' directive, but BSDI appears to
> insist on being the odd man out *again*, so it looks like rewriting
> the Makefile is the only way for it to work. Shell and awk are
> probably the tools of choice --- *old* awk).

I'll take this one if you like. As for Makefiles, I ended up putting
together a very simple Makefile generation package for mSQL. It's a
simple setup that allows inclusiong of system definitions and other
things (without the need for a make that supports includes). If you want
to have a look, mSQL can be found on Bond.edu.au in /pub/Minerva/msql.
The makefile generation stuff is handled by the stuff in the makegen
directory.

Bambi
Re: Things I'd like before first ship... [ In reply to ]
> *) An optional module which emulated the NCSA 1.4.x UserAgentLog and
> RefererLog. Yeah, you don't want them, I don't want them, but I
> *do* want people to be able to drop us in in place of NCSA.

Done. Mostly this involved copying mod_common_log.c and search and
replacing 'common' for either 'agent' or 'referer'. :-) If I get around
to it maybe I'll do a more generic logger to supplant/emulate all three.
It's in two seperate modules, available at
http://www.netgen.com/~mkgray/apache

> *) More cross-platform testing. Right now, I know of people who have
> run the server and reported bugs on the following platforms:
> SunOS, Linux, HP-UX, NetBSD, BSDI. I know of someone who's trying
> Solaris, but no reports of how well it works yet. I'd like to know
> that it's working OK on those systems; also, would it be possible
> for someone to try, say, IRIX?

I am primarily running on Linux, but may try it on Solaris or IRIX if I
get a chance, as well as likely trying OSF/1^H^H^H^H^HDigital Unix.

...Mkgray
Re: Things I'd like before first ship... [ In reply to ]
> On Mon, 10 Jul 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
>
> > *) A configuration script which allows people to pick and choose
> > optional modules. (This would have to rewrite modules.c, which is
> > trivial --- basically, two copies of the list of configured modules
> > in slightly different formats. It would also have to arrange for
> > the right set of mod_*.o files to be built by the Makefile; that
> > would be somewhat easier if we can count on any reasonable make to
> > support the same sort of 'include' directive, but BSDI appears to
> > insist on being the odd man out *again*, so it looks like rewriting
> > the Makefile is the only way for it to work. Shell and awk are
> > probably the tools of choice --- *old* awk).
>

> I'll take this one if you like. As for Makefiles, I ended up putting
> together a very simple Makefile generation package for mSQL. It's a
> simple setup that allows inclusiong of system definitions and other
> things (without the need for a make that supports includes). If you want
> to have a look, mSQL can be found on Bond.edu.au in /pub/Minerva/msql.
> The makefile generation stuff is handled by the stuff in the makegen
> directory.
>

> Bambi

This is one of the cleaner/portable systems I have seen. It would
be a welcome addition to Apache in my opinion.
Re: Things I'd like before first ship... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 10 Jul 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> A few things I really would like to see before first release, if
> anyone has a little free time (ha!):

Don't forget to make the tar file use the same directory structure as 1.3
(subdir apache0.8/, subdirs src/ cgi-src/, cgi-bin/, conf/, etc.)

Randy, did you ever get that imagemap module working?

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: Things I'd like before first ship... [ In reply to ]

Re: Things I'd like before first ship... [ In reply to ]
> On Mon, 10 Jul 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> > A few things I really would like to see before first release, if
> > anyone has a little free time (ha!):
>
> Don't forget to make the tar file use the same directory structure as 1.3
> (subdir apache0.8/, subdirs src/ cgi-src/, cgi-bin/, conf/, etc.)

There was also someone who suggested an alternative set of icons
in the recent past which I have to agree look slightly better.
I can supply a copy of these if they are not handy.

> Randy, did you ever get that imagemap module working?

Yes. It has been working nicely. I have not added the *.imap
file add-ons that RobT suggested. Rob, would you like me to do
this, or did you have something else in mind?
Re: Things I'd like before first ship... [ In reply to ]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 21:13:15 -0500
From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>

There was also someone who suggested an alternative set of icons
in the recent past which I have to agree look slightly better.
I can supply a copy of these if they are not handy.

Sigh... I hate release engineering.

> Randy, did you ever get that imagemap module working?

Yes. It has been working nicely. I have not added the *.imap
file add-ons that RobT suggested. Rob, would you like me to do
this, or did you have something else in mind?

If you're referring to the "default_uri" imagemap directive, I would
like to see that in before this is released (with default_uri imagemap
as default, and the other options available). If you can handle the
implementation, I'd really appreciate it.

rst