Mailing List Archive

more apache 0.7.2 death notes
Came in this morning to find hyperreal's 0.7.2h dead:

1) only the parent was still around
2) it was sucking down CPU as fast as possible
3) A kill -HUP didn't restart it
4) ktrace didn't report any system calls being made
5) no CGI scripts running that I could tell
6) the server had stopped serving up requests about 9:30am our time
7) first errant 403 request came at 8:53am, shortly after a 500 server
error for the home page
8) looks like the "403" virus spread to children quickly - all responses
returning 403 by 9:12am
able to be accomplished after the 403 virus had spread
10) none of the 403 responses had the IP number translated to a hostname
11) error log has lots of errors around the time 403's started with
"httpd: could not create IPC pipe". After the first one appeared, then
I started getting the "403" errors recorded to the error log.

For those with hyperreal accounts, the damage can be found in

/usr/local/www.tools/apache/logs/error_log
/var/log/httpd (today)
/export/logarchives/1995/06/19.httpd.gz (tomorrow)

If anyone can suggest anything else that needs to be looked for when this
happens, let me know. Hopefully this report has enough details to let
those who know the IPC code find the problem.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: more apache 0.7.2 death notes [ In reply to ]
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 13:53:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

Came in this morning to find hyperreal's 0.7.2h dead:

1) only the parent was still around
2) it was sucking down CPU as fast as possible
3) A kill -HUP didn't restart it

Hmmm... at this point, it can be extremely useful to get a backtrace,
and figure out exactly what that process thinks it's doing, or at
least save a core dump for later inspection (using 'gcore', which
seems to exist on hyperreal, if you thing that the server is so
confused to produce one on its own after kill -SIGBUS --- it still
needs enough of it's marbles to 'cd' into the right directory after
that).

rst