Is there anything to stop the beta now ?

Randy, how's the new /apache/ page coming along ?

robh
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
> Well, I think we need at least a 0.6.2 release to fold in the patch
> that allowed it to be run at HotWired... it does fix (or at least
> ameliorate) a pretty serious bug.

but it is httpd 1.3 compatible. The bug only appear when using
a new feature in a certain way.

I think Brian said he still sees a problem with it anyway.

Maybe it should go on a "Known bugs" page for now, until a full
fix is worked out.

robh
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]

> So all the "big" servers are happily running 0.6.1.
>
> Is there anything to stop the beta now ?
>

> Randy, how's the new /apache/ page coming along ?

http://www.apache.org/apache/next_index.html

There are things that I would like to do, time permitting.
The version number was orginally a link to a changelog. I
have made this link to your info.html page for this release
and expect that we will want to put a changelog in it's
place for subsequent releases.

I'm ready.

Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
> >So all the "big" servers are happily running 0.6.1.
> >
> >Is there anything to stop the beta now ?
>
> I think we are waiting for documentation.

what needs documenting ?
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
Let the pigeons loose!
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
I think we might need a mirror site for the .tar.Z file.

Any offers ?
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 20 Apr 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > Well, I think we need at least a 0.6.2 release to fold in the patch
> > that allowed it to be run at HotWired... it does fix (or at least
> > ameliorate) a pretty serious bug.
>
> but it is httpd 1.3 compatible. The bug only appear when using
> a new feature in a certain way.
>
> I think Brian said he still sees a problem with it anyway.
>
> Maybe it should go on a "Known bugs" page for now, until a full
> fix is worked out.

What about a "known bugs, with links to possible fixes" page? I.e.

<LI>401 ErrorDocument redirects are missing a WWW-Authenticate line.
We're pretty sure <a href="B80.txt">this patch</a> will fix it, but let
us know.

I'm willing to let 0.6.1 go out as beta with that as a known bug.

Comments on the documentation:

I edited next_index.html to make it a little more stylistically solid.

info.html: "Newsgroup comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix does not exist!"
according to my trn.

docs/*.conf: Aside from parts missing in access.conf, is this meant to
be complete documentation, a superset of hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu? If so,
cool - but it would be nice if at the top a summary of new tags and
features were added.

Also, finally, let's take some credit for our work. Any objections to
linking the members page to the front page? The only thing I'd be afraid
of is a flood of mail, but if at every point we said "send ALL
non-private correspondence to apache-bugs@mail.apache.org" then it'd be
no problem.

Other than that, let's rock! Who shall we have make the announcement,
and where?

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]

apache-bugs@mail.apache.org, with the note that this is *NOT* a support
address - support is available on comp.infosystems.www.providers.

Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
> One random caution --- I've got a report from someone running 0.6.1
> (he just *found* it on hyperreal), that XBITHACK doesn't work. I suspect
> something flaky may be going on, but I don't know yet whether it's site
> setup or a real problem with the server. If XBITHACK is working for other
> people, then I'm still +1 on a beta release; just as a sanity check, I'd
> be reassured if I knew someone had checked.

The Internet Movie Database files use XBITHACK. Works fine on my Solaris 2
server running 0.6.1.
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
> Also, finally, let's take some credit for our work. Any objections to
> linking the members page to the front page? The only thing I'd be afraid
> of is a flood of mail, but if at every point we said "send ALL
> non-private correspondence to apache-bugs@mail.apache.org" then it'd be
> no problem.

After some private mail with RobH I removed the link to the members
list for a couple of reasons.

I am open to suggestions. The main oposition being the issue of
Email addresses being listed.

??
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
> One random caution --- I've got a report from someone running 0.6.1
> (he just *found* it on hyperreal), that XBITHACK doesn't work. I suspect
> something flaky may be going on, but I don't know yet whether it's site
> setup or a real problem with the server. If XBITHACK is working for other
> people, then I'm still +1 on a beta release; just as a sanity check, I'd
> be reassured if I knew someone had checked.

XBITHACK is working for me.
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
> I'll go first,
> Member: Rob Hartill
> e-mail: hartill@lanl.gov (see the Apache FAQ before mailing me)
> Comments: O.J. is guilty

Please use http://www.apache.org/httpd/new_member.html

It will make it much easier for me to add these.

(latency problem....)
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 20 Apr 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> One random caution --- I've got a report from someone running 0.6.1
> (he just *found* it on hyperreal), that XBITHACK doesn't work. I suspect
> something flaky may be going on, but I don't know yet whether it's site
> setup or a real problem with the server. If XBITHACK is working for other
> people, then I'm still +1 on a beta release; just as a sanity check, I'd
> be reassured if I knew someone had checked.

Maybe he's run into the same confusion I have, which was that I had set
application/x-server-parsed-html to .html, with XBITHACK, and I was
expecting XBITHACK to work by only parsing .html files that had the X bit
set (rather than realizig I had turned it on carte blanche). Maybe that
should be in the FAQ?

I'm sure XBITHACK *does* work with 0.6.1, as that's what's on hyperreal
right now, and mucking with the root level index.html proves it's fine.

Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]

> > > I'll go first,
> > > Member: Rob Hartill
> > > e-mail: hartill@lanl.gov (see the Apache FAQ before mailing me)
> > > Comments: O.J. is guilty
> >
> > Please use http://www.apache.org/httpd/new_member.html
>
> Randy,
>
> it aint there :-)

Duh. Try add_member.html
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]

> Randy:
> > Let the pigeons loose!
>
> I'd have thought 'Geronimo!' more suitable .. *groan*.
>
> Anyway, +1 on going beta, provided someone tells me where all the
> "How do I?" mail is going to go?

RTFFAQ ! ;-)

comp.infosystems.www.providers / comp.infosystems.www.server.unix

bugs to apache-bugs@mail.apache.org
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
> What about a "known bugs, with links to possible fixes" page? I.e.
>
> <LI>401 ErrorDocument redirects are missing a WWW-Authenticate line.
> We're pretty sure <a href="B80.txt">this patch</a> will fix it, but let
> us know.

Is it a sure fix ? - I thought you had some problem with it before
you left last night.

> info.html: "Newsgroup comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix does not exist!"
> according to my trn.

It was announced today. It'll be created in 5 days or so. The danger
is in pointing people at c.i.w.providers only for it to vanish in
late June.

> docs/*.conf: Aside from parts missing in access.conf, is this meant to
> be complete documentation, a superset of hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu? If so,
> cool - but it would be nice if at the top a summary of new tags and
> features were added.

Go for it :-)

> Also, finally, let's take some credit for our work. Any objections to
> linking the members page to the front page? The only thing I'd be afraid

Well, the members page is potentially misleading as it is. There's
a few names there which I'd have to say "Who ?" to, and a few that
are missing.

The "Apache Group" needs to be defined. I think we agreed to make
it a lost of people who have contributed time/resources/code to the
project, should be listed.

The fairest way to do this is for everyone who wants to be on that list
to suggest their name on this list, with optional URL/email address.

So if you think you've made a contribution, speak now...

I'll go first,
Member: Rob Hartill
e-mail: hartill@lanl.gov (see the Apache FAQ before mailing me)
Comments: O.J. is guilty

Brian, you seem to have a way with words, and are well known on the
www-talk list. I'd be happy to let you announce it there.
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]

> One random caution --- I've got a report from someone running 0.6.1
> (he just *found* it on hyperreal), that XBITHACK doesn't work. I suspect
> something flaky may be going on, but I don't know yet whether it's site
> setup or a real problem with the server. If XBITHACK is working for other
> people, then I'm still +1 on a beta release; just as a sanity check, I'd
> be reassured if I knew someone had checked.

Sounds like he set it up wrong. Works fine, and moreover it isn't
something that is likely to have slipped by so many of us for this long.
Many of us use it heavily.
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
Randy said,

> Please use http://www.apache.org/httpd/new_member.html

where "new" is spelled a-d-d :-)

> It will make it much easier for me to add these.
> (latency problem....)

you should eat more fibre.

rob
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
>Please use http://www.apache.org/httpd/new_member.html

that is broken

Sorry, Sucka!

Whatever it was you were looking for seems to have been misplaced - let whoever it
was who pointed you in this direction know. Sorry about that!
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 20 Apr 1995, Randy Terbush wrote:
> I am open to suggestions. The main oposition being the issue of
> Email addresses being listed.

If at the top it said "do NOT send bug reports or support questions to
the following", would it be so bad? At worst, you just bounce the
message to apache-bugs@bong.com.

Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
Last time, Andrew Wilson uttered the following other thing:

> > I think we might need a mirror site for the .tar.Z file.
> >
> > Any offers ?
>
> We have some room at COMMA don't we? There, that's Europe sorted out.

I wonder if they'd let us put it up on ftp.ncsa. I mean, we still have
that windows version on there . . .

heh
Brandon

--
Brandon Long (N9WUC) "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
Computer Engineering Run Linux 1.1.xxx It's that Easy.
Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, 20 Apr 1995, Randy Terbush wrote:
> > I am open to suggestions. The main oposition being the issue of
> > Email addresses being listed.
>
> If at the top it said "do NOT send bug reports or support questions to
> the following", would it be so bad? At worst, you just bounce the
> message to apache-bugs@bong.com.

The internet movie-db team were flooded with mail once the address
was put on a web page, even though there were repatative and huge
(not quite flashing) messages telling them to read the rest of the
page first. The rest of the page pointed people at the information
they wanted.

The solution was to add the link

http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/Movies/you_stupid_idiot.html

just before the mail address, with the link text promises all kinds
of goodies we'd already explained where to find.

Anyway, have a look, it worked great for us. I don't think Rob T's
going to like it ;-)

The bottom line is that if you show someone your email address, and
tell them not to use it, they will anyway. I get phone calls
at work about the movie db, because my page over here has a phone number
on it.. see http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/ and look at the text after
the phone number !

robh

Re: ready ? [ In reply to ]